General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-12-2013, 01:03 AM   #1  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Default Is it possible to do dance as an adult?

One of the biggest things I regret from my younger years is quitting dancing. When I was little, I took every single dance class my dance school offered (I did a different dance every year), and ended up doing like 3 years of tap before I finally stupidly quit because some boys in my fifth grade class found out I did it and laughed at me, because ya know, fat kids can't dance. It ended up making me extremely insecure, so I quit.

Anyway, years later, I'm almost 23 years old and I would LOVE to get back into it! But I feel like I'm too old. I've Googled my old dance school and at least 4 or 5 different dance schools/companies around the area and it seems like no one offers dance classes for adults! Everything's for school-aged kids. I would love to do hip hop or some sort of modern dance that; ballet would be a choice too but I'm still way too big to even be considered, lol. I just don't know where to find classes for people older than high schoolers! Where would y'all suggest I look?
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:09 AM   #2  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

There are tonsof lessons for adults, from lyrical to ballet to belly dancing and everything in between. I've taken tap as an adult (well, not quite, I was in college but 16) and loved it! I'm looking into belly dancing locally but I've just been too busy and it's not going to get better with another newborn. There are plenty of adult dancers of all different skill levels, from beginning to previously competitive and coming back after a break.

My husband's cousin went to college to be a vet and was working as one for several years, but then got involved in ballroom dance and it was a dream. She has now QUIT veterinary practice and works at a ballroom dance studio as an instructor. As far as I know she'd never danced before her early twenties. If you want to do it, go for it!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:12 AM   #3  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

As for where to look, taking lessons through a local college wouldn't be bad, and if there are multiple adult dance instructos and studios in ALASKA, of all places, I'm sure there are some in your area. The yellow pages and google are your friend in these cases, but much of what you're looking for is small or in home studios, if you're not going through a community college. That was where I last danced and my next college had beginning dance classes, too. Anyone from the community could enroll for those credit hours. Again, if Alaska has it, it's hard to believe states with more population wouldn't be at least as good
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:17 AM   #4  

Well, I say the dance studios around here don't have adult classes; the websites make MENTION of adult classes but they dont really give an indication as to what's offered for ADULTS. They have tons of information like class schedules and stuff for kids, but not for adults. I might just have to actually visit the studios around here and see what they have to offer!
Old 02-12-2013, 02:17 AM   #5  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Try the YMCA, a community college, or a regional dance studio.

I love adult dance classes, but they can be pricey.
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

My mother was in her late 40's early 50's when she took tap.She loved it...even after her rotten children (yes,me too ) teased her about it.It was all in fun though,and I'm glad she did something for herself.She always wanted to take a dance class.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #7  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Call them!!! Ask them what classes they offer - and if they don't have what you want, ask them to recommend a studio - they should be happy to do so.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #8  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

I totally know what you mean! I grew up dancing until I was 18 and "graduated" from my studio- and the only real dance classes I have been to since then are either in LA or they are convention classes that come in to town for a weekend and cost $300 dollars to go to (they are ALL weekend conventions with 12 hours of classes- but still...)

My local dance studios RARELY offer dance classes for adults and it makes me so sad! I am a dance teacher at 3 different studios so I should know where the adult classes are- I have a hard time finding any!

One place that I occasionally find classes are at different colleges. The dance programs around me are pretty great and every so often they offer classes to the general public- I found them on facebook and there are flyers posted up around the schools advertising for them. Are there any college dance programs near you? Thats probably your best bet!
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Try an adult continuing ed bulletin to start (or just google your town + continuing ed), they seem to have had a lot of those kinds of classes everywhere I've lived.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #10  

Here's the other thing: being realistic, should I avoid ballet? The more I think about it the more I want to do it, but I feel like I'm too big. Even at goal; you don't see too many thick-thighed ballet dancers...
Old 02-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #11  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

It's not like you're planning to do ballet professionally right!? Just for fun!? So your build doesn't matter!!!

I echo the community college route. I love hip hop dance and have taken classes at the local community college for that, super fun and super inexpensive!!!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #12  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

There is NO reason for you to avoid taking ballet classes! Sure, professional ballerinas are all itty-bitty, but at a community college? Its just like taking a zumba class- there are all different levels, and all different shapes and sizes. They may require you to wear a black leotard and pink tights (the ones in my area do) but if you are okay with the uniform- go for it. Ballet is my favorite.
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 156/154/125

Height: 5'1.5"

I did tango last year and this year will try salsa. I live in a relatively big city, so there are many dance classes for adults. I think I will give ballet a try too. The problem with tango or salsa is you need a partner, and I'm single. With my tango lesson last year I was paired up with another solo guy...and it got weird towards the end because the teacher kind of wanted us to become a couple! So I missed the last couple of lessons.

Anyway, that is so cute that you used to tap when you were little! Hope you find a class and enjoy!
happynottsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #14  
Keeping it real!

S/C/G: 40/31/30 waist inches!

Height: 5' 4"

We have adult dancing classes in our area ... they even do a recital at the end of the 8 week period! It's awesome!

I haven't joined them, as I don't have time but it looks like fun!

I DO dance around the house constantly though! And I never intend to stop!

Go for it!
healthyangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #15  
Advanced Beginner

S/C/G: 304/ticker/150

Height: 5'5''

Go for it! If you want to do ballet, give it a try! You're not going to be a professional, so it doesn't matter how you look. There are more and more adult ballet classes being offered everywhere, and most don't have a dress code.

I started ballet in 2008 weighing over 300lbs! I love it so much that I'm up to six classes a week and working very hard. It's also my greatest weight loss motivation, because the more I lose the better I get, and I'm dreaming of one day being able to do big jumps and dance en pointe. It is absolutely possible to learn most steps being overweight. It will be harder than for someone with a perfect ballet body, and it won't look so good, but passion and work can compensate for a lot!

Try it!
Alienor is offline   Reply With Quote