Old 02-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #1  
I can, I will, I do

S/C/G: Goal: 130

Height: 5'6"

Default 5k races

So, I have challenged myself to do 5k's this year.. I got a free registration for Mud Run ($60 value) and have been scared ever since. The race is May 4th so I am thinking I can prepare pretty significantly by then but I am terrified that I am in over my head.

I cannot run and can barely jog a couple feet at this point.. there are 18+ obstacles to get through in this 5k all while covered in copious amounts of mud. I am buying my gym membership back today and will begin working on my cardio and upper body strength which is probably what I lack most.

Have any of you ladies ever signed up for one of these and completed one? I am not afraid of coming in last, I just want to finish. I don't care if I walk it. Opinions?
Avezy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #2  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

I was thinking that it would be fun to do a 5 k.... eventually. By no means am I ready for that! I wish there was a color run in my neck of the woods. Sounds like you're driven though Even if you don't finish, just getting out there and starting the thing is a huge accomplishment and you should feel proud!

Maybe check out the couch to 5k apps (or there is Zombie one, that sounds silly and fun) To go with your the rest of your workout to get you ready for your Mud Run.

Have fun and good luck!!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #3  
I can, I will, I do

Thank you! Totally looking up the apps now! I really appreciate it. Color run is a for everyone thing so I am not worried about it.. the other one has military style obstacles so I am a little terrified considering I can't even do a push-up let alone climb haha. I really am determined though. I will update everyone on my progress
Old 02-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

I'm hoping to sign up for The Color Run this year,and can't wait! I will have till June to prepare...so I am hoping by then I will be able to run even part of it.I like that it's a run or walk kind of thing,so while I want to push myself,I wont feel defeated if I end up walking most of it.

There is also a Foam Fest(5k with obstacles,mud and soap suds) near Chicago that looks like a blast.I'd love to do both,but not working and both races having to be paid soon,I have to choose.Maybe next year on the Foam Fest
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #5  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I've done a lot of various types of "Mud Runs" and they are usually pretty tough... I'm not trying to discourage you, but they wouldn't be something I would recommend for a first time 5k... But if you're determined to do this race as your first 5k in only 3 months from now and you are currently not running... then doing one of the C25K type of programs might be your best bet... AND if at all possible try to pre-run the course or at least parts of it, if you can, and also find out exactly what the "obstacles" are that you are going to need to deal with as well... That way at least you'll have a some idea what you're getting yourself into on race day...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #6  
I can, I will, I do

Thank you Trip Switch! I will definitely look into that stuff. I am doing it more for fun than anything else. I am expecting it to be excruciating.. lol
Old 02-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #7  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Just be careful... I know for me when it comes to running taking it slow is usually the way to go... "too much... too soon..." when it comes to running just usually leads to getting hurt... and trust me, that's never any fun...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #8  

I'm 57 years old and running 5K's for the first time this year. I started jogging and trotting last spring. I could not jog even a mile without stopping to walk at first. I just kept at it until I could trot two miles without walking (and it still took about 28 minutes at first).

When I decided to do a 5K I added an extra mile to my neighborhood jogging route. The first 5K I did (in October), I made a lot of mistakes. I started too fast and faded in the middle and had to walk part of it, and I didn't eat or drink anything that morning, and I didn't have sunglasses or a hat. My time was almost 40 minutes, but I was not the last one in. And I learned from my mistakes. In December I did another 5K in 37:50, and in January I did one in 36:37. The races have age groups, and I am usually smack dab in the middle of the females 50-59.

I have never tried one of those mud runs, but they look challenging and fun. Good luck!

Annie
Tabbycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:52 PM   #9  
I can, I will, I do

Thanks Tabbycat! I have started using a training app on my phone. Today I ran for 6 minutes and plan on keeping at it until the race. I am sure I will make tons of mistakes and probably wont even run it (I am more of a walker/jogger) I just wanted something to motivate me to work out more and then stumbled upon a free registration for mud run and couldn't say no. My goal is to become a regular runner while working my way to my goal. Thank you guys so much for all of the feedback and info