View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 01:28 PM   #11
TripSwitch
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
Sorry to go a little off-topic but is A1C what the blood test is called on the bloodwork? I had complete bloodwork done last week but didn't really know to comprehend it all. I know one of the tests is glucose but that might be different?

My father is a diabetic on insulin and I get so nervous that I will follow in his footsteps. I get bloodwork done every few weeks due to my medically supervised diet but I am not sure if diabetes is something they look at specifically.

I hope you find the answers that you need GethealthE, this forum is amazing with the wealth of information in our fellow members.
A1c (HbA1c) is a test for glycated hemoglobin and is different from fasting blood glucose... and is used to identify the average plasma glucose concentration over a period of time... approximately 3 months... It is not normally ordered as part of "routine" lab work, although if you have had higher than normal fasting blood sugars and your doctor suspects prediabetes than it would definitely be something they would be looking at...

If it's something you are concerned about I would bring it up with your doctor to see if it's something that they should add to your next set of labs...