Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 189.4/173.8/150

Height: 6'

Default Anyone do Gluten-free and sugar-free?

This last week I decided to try a week of gluten-free and sugar-free diet and see how I feel. I have noticed a dramatic increase in my energy, and my skin has really cleared up a lot too. I focus on eating protein shakes, lean protein, vegetables and also low glycemic fruits like berries and apples. Has anyone else done this? How has eating no gluten and sugar worked for you? thanks!
KatieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Apples have plenty of sugar. Looks likes sugar isn't the enemy.

Also gluten may not disagree with you either. Hard to say.

The dramatic increase in energy could mean many things - or nothing. If I had to guess I would say you're probably insulin resistant to a degree and the reduction in carbs and calories is responsible.

Skin being clearer could also be related to a number of things. Making several changes to your diet at once tells you only that all the changes together had a certain result.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #3  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I'm not specifically sugar free or gluten free. But I'm on a low carb plan and have a very small amount of grains, so not much gluten and no sugar beyond the natural sugars in produce and dairy.

I definitely see a big difference in my skin and energy levels - in part I think because I sleep better now too, so that helps. I find that the cleaner I eat, with very little in the way of processed foods, the better I feel and look. Nice that you are seeing a similar impact!
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #4  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Well I don't eat sugar or gluten, but my plan isn't specific to those. I'm low carb and watch the foods that irritate my body. Sugary dairy, most grains, and refined sugars are high on that list. If you're going low sugar an apple ain't it, as John said, but moving out refined/processed foods with a high glycemic load and moving to a more unrefined, whole foods diet, certainly isn't going to hurt any symptoms you might have.

I haven't broken out since going to my plan (Atkins DANDR seems to be the best fit, after much tweaking to get there!) and also have fatigue and other symptoms managed much better than before. It's no coincidence, but isolating the mechanism that might specifically be doing it isn't necessarily as simple as 'sugar' or 'gluten', in my case. Oh well!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #5  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

I have cut processed sugar and almost all grains out of my diet- and I feel pretty wonderful. I'm also adding in bone broth and probiotics to try to heal my gut a bit.

I also just successfully made my first gluten free bread. No dairy, no eggs. It was pretty tasty. I added garlic and rosemary.
http://www.elanaspantry.com/gluten-free-bread-20/
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #6  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I have found through process of elimination what things seem to make me fatigued. My guess is too much of any sugar does it to me, but I do better if it's paired with fiber and protein. So, an apple is OK with peanut butter. Whereas a banana is not. Berries are fine, etc.

Bread, rice, most other grains are no-nos but for some reason, my body breaks down potatoes slower and it doesn't spike my blood sugars are make me feel lethargic or create cravings.

I just bought this cookbook. The Joy of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking by Peter Reinhart and Denene Wallace. What I love about it is that unlike most Gluten free books that just substitute another grain that is gluten free for the wheat, this one mostly uses nuts as a flour replacement. I haven't tried any recipes yet, but I hope to soon. Simple things too - like a nut crust for mini apple pies (low/no sugar added). It's so that when I need a special something, maybe I can have a treat without having it be full of sugar and grains which just a doozy on me.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #7  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I've been avoiding grains and added sugar lately... but not because I have any food allergies or food sensitivities... I just find it makes it easier to keep my overall calories in check which I find useful for maintaining... But I'm sure there will be another really good fresh baked croissant or the occasional piece of dark chocolate in my future once I get my BF% where I want it and my fitness back to where I would like it... And I'm not to worried about it...

I haven't noticed any changes in my skin, but I've never really had any issues it that department... And it definitely hasn't increased my energy, but that's really to do more with I think trying to figure out how to fuel the amount of running that I do without those sources for energy... Right now I'm OK with that, but we'll see if it makes sense for me in the future as I increase my training again...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote