Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-07-2013, 04:47 AM   #1  

Default Not losing weight! Frustrated & lost!

Hi guys..
I'm new here & I'm struggling with my weight loss..!

My current weight is 140 lbs
Height: 5'4
Starting weight: 150 lbs

I started dieting & exercising back in November 2012:
1000 to 1200 cal diet plan & some days I eat only around 800 to 600 cal..
+
60 minutes of daily workout (walking, tae-bo, dancing)

Up to date, I only managed to drop 10 lbs and that's really frustrating..!
I feel like I'm starving & exhausting myself with no luck of getting to my goal weight..!

I was told that I'm not eating enough & my body might be going through a starvation mode..
Although I don't believe so, I tried eating more & keeping my calorie intake between 1300-1200 cal..

I use a calorie log on my iPhone & I'm very obsessed with calculating every bite that goes into my mouth (I weigh/measure my food)..

I even tried eliminating carbs & just stick to protein, fruits & veggies but nothing has changed!

It takes me a really long time to drop a pound & sometimes I gain few!!! I'm sure you all know how frustrating that is..!

I'm feeling hopeless & depressed .. Losing weight is all I think about these days..

Any thoughts?
Annna83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:07 AM   #2  

Height: 5'4

You shot yourself in the foot by starting out with your calories so low, and did yourself even more on an injustice by dropping them to 800-900!

You need to figure out how many calories you REALLY need by figuring out your Basal Metabolic rate and Total Daily Energy Expenditure (BMR/TDEE) and eat slightly under that to create a deficit.

Starvation mode is a misnomer, but you have experienced metabolic adaptation due to so few calories consumed. You lost 10 pounds but by doing it so quickly you left yourself no room to move and adjust! Get your calories BACK UP (depending on how active you are I'd suggest at least 1600 to start) and have some patience.

Last edited by JossFit; 02-07-2013 at 05:08 AM.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #3  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

Bump your calories up to 1500 a day. You should NEVER go below 1000. Make sure that you are drinking a lot of water as well.

Also, 140 may just be the natural weight for your body, depending on your body frame type. I'm the same height as you, but I have a large frame and my "healthy weight" lies between 135-150 lb.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #4  

Thank you guys for your input..
I'm just wondering did anybody lose weight when they start eating more?

I'm terrified to do this..This is so hard for me emotionally because it took me serious effort to stop eating the food I love & I feel all my sacrifices are for nothing..
And although I'm very disappointed & unmotivated, giving up isn't an option..
I'm going to do whatever it takes to get to my goal weight!
I'm stick & tired of waiting, I've lost 30 years of my life overweight!
Old 02-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #5  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

How much weight are you wanting to lose?

What type of foods do you love? And why are you sacrificing them?

I have continued to lose weight after upping calories. I've also been watching some people on the 100 lb daily thread that have upped calories and continued to lose. One of the problems with restricting your calories so much is that once you hit goal weight- that type of diet is impossible to maintain (not necessarily that caloric intake, because you can up that....but cutting out foods you loved). You need to find a weight loss program that works more like a lifestyle change, which is why I ask why you are cutting your favorite foods.

I've cut some of my "favorite" foods, such as coke and McDonalds because they are detrimental to my health, not my weight loss, necessarily.

ETA: Also, as psychic mentioned- It looks like you are in a normal BMI for your height.

Last edited by lunarsongbird; 02-07-2013 at 07:56 PM.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #6  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Welcome and good luck on your journey!!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarsongbird View Post
How much weight are you wanting to lose?

What type of foods do you love? And why are you sacrificing them?

I have continued to lose weight after upping calories. I've also been watching some people on the 100 lb daily thread that have upped calories and continued to lose. One of the problems with restricting your calories so much is that once you hit goal weight- that type of diet is impossible to maintain (not necessarily that caloric intake, because you can up that....but cutting out foods you loved). You need to find a weight loss program that works more like a lifestyle change, which is why I ask why you are cutting your favorite foods.

I've cut some of my "favorite" foods, such as coke and McDonalds because they are detrimental to my health, not my weight loss, necessarily.

ETA: Also, as psychic mentioned- It looks like you are in a normal BMI for your height.
Thank you so much for replying..

My goal weight would be 110 lbs

I'm a very picky eater & I'm guessing that's why it was always hard for me to lose weight before..
I love fast food, chocolates, ice creams, desserts, pizza, noodles..etc
I used to eat out almost everyday but I give that up & the last time I had a fast food meal was two months ago..
I don't want to give up these things forever, I want to be able to eat a doughnut or a cheeseburger from time to time..

I hate fruits & veggies.. I hate chicken & fish .. I can't eat eggs & I hate dairy(cheese, milk..etc)
But I force myself to eat just to get the energy for my workout..
That's why I'm struggling to reach my daily calorie limit..

I love exercising & I actually enjoy it.. That what is keeping me going!
Old 02-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Damn, Anna--you don't have a lot to lose, but you've got a hard row to hoe, because all of the foods you dislike are the typical weight-loss ones! Learning to cook them in a tasty way might help. For example: Dice a butternut squash, shake it in 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and Old Bay, and bake it for 45 minutes. Voila--better than French fries!! Take some red onions, cut them in eighths, leaving the ends intact to keep them from separating, shake them in 1-2 T of olive oil, plus McCormick's black pepper Grill Mates. Bake for about 35 minutes--better than onion rings!
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Oh, there's also a low-calorie ice cream I've read about here, called Arctic Zero, that only has 150 calories per pint. May not be the best nutritional bang for the buck, but if that's what you crave, could be a good option.
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 219/177/130

Height: 5'-1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annna83 View Post
Thank you so much for replying..

My goal weight would be 110 lbs
I just looked at my Weight Watcher's healthy weight range chart and for a person who is 5'-4" a healthy weight is between 117 lbs to 146 lbs. You are already in the healthy weight range so I think your goal of 110 lbs might be unrealistic. My suggestion would be to stop focusing on the scale and start focusing more on getting toned and loosing inches through weight training. Your body will look better and because muscle burns more calories so you'll be able to eat more.

Good luck!
mrsmelmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:17 AM   #11  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

I began finding my calories suffering recently not on purpose I just wasn't hungry. I have been safely eating more calories even having things I deprived myself of and as a result I lost my last 4 lbs. Like suggested already find ways to make the foods u don't like edible and why do u want to be 110 sounds like that will be dificult to maintain, toning might be all u need at this point, maybe 5 more lbs. best of luck
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:07 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryHungryHippo View Post
Damn, Anna--you don't have a lot to lose, but you've got a hard row to hoe, because all of the foods you dislike are the typical weight-loss ones! Learning to cook them in a tasty way might help. For example: Dice a butternut squash, shake it in 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and Old Bay, and bake it for 45 minutes. Voila--better than French fries!! Take some red onions, cut them in eighths, leaving the ends intact to keep them from separating, shake them in 1-2 T of olive oil, plus McCormick's black pepper Grill Mates. Bake for about 35 minutes--better than onion rings!
Thank you HungryHungryHippo !
Those are very simple & easy! Definitely worth the try! Thank you!
Old 02-08-2013, 03:16 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmelmitch View Post
I just looked at my Weight Watcher's healthy weight range chart and for a person who is 5'-4" a healthy weight is between 117 lbs to 146 lbs. You are already in the healthy weight range so I think your goal of 110 lbs might be unrealistic. My suggestion would be to stop focusing on the scale and start focusing more on getting toned and loosing inches through weight training. Your body will look better and because muscle burns more calories so you'll be able to eat more.

Good luck!
To be honest my goal to lose weight isn't because I want to be healthy..lol
I just want to look good in my swim suit for once in my life!

I'm trying not to focus on the scale but at the same time I'm not noticing any changes in my body (I take photos every two weeks & compare)
Old 02-08-2013, 03:23 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbiegurl View Post
I began finding my calories suffering recently not on purpose I just wasn't hungry. I have been safely eating more calories even having things I deprived myself of and as a result I lost my last 4 lbs. Like suggested already find ways to make the foods u don't like edible and why do u want to be 110 sounds like that will be dificult to maintain, toning might be all u need at this point, maybe 5 more lbs. best of luck
Exactly! I don't feel hungry!
My body right now doesn't look good..I look & feel very fat!
That's why I think I need serious weight loss! Up to at least 15 lbs of fat!

I'm going to push myself & eat more..this seems the right thing to do right now!

Thank you!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Given that you are within your goal range and want to look better in a swimsuit, I recommend 2 things:

1) learn more about weight training. Many many women find that they can tone their bodies and build a little muscle and look MUCH better
2) check out our featherweights forum. You will find lots of women dealing with similar issues.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote