Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 08:25 PM   #1  

Question Tony Little Gazelle Glider

Hi
Has anyone had much luck with the Gazelle Glider? I am 350 pounds, which is the weight limit for the glider I am looking at. It's expensive though, and was wondering if any one with the kind of weight I have to loose has had experience with it. I have been walking out side, but the weather will soon stop me from doing that. I have tried exercise tapes and just can't get motivated to do them. I need some thing that I can listen to my books on tape and exercise at the same time. I was also wondering if any one can advise me about a recumbent exercise bike. All the ones in my price range have weight limits of 250 to 300 pounds. When I look at them though, I can't see why they wouldn't hold up. I was thinking maybe the electronic read outs only allow up to a certain weight. I can only afford to buy one piece, so I have to be really careful what I buy. I don't need another clothes rack in the corner, if you know what I mean!
I am new to this sight, but have heard wonderful things about it. Any information or advice would be so greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Cheryl
Old 09-27-2003, 11:06 PM   #2  
WW Moderator

Hi Cheryl, I had the Gazelle and it was challenging at first because I hadn't exercised in some time, but then it became not as much of a challenge! There is no resistance, so you only get what you put in. The best thing about it was no impact. It was really easy on the joints while I got back in the swing of things. If you could find a glider with some resistance, you might be happier. I kept forgetting to push myself into the gliding...if that makes any sense. If I had resistance or pressure pushing back to me, then I could push harder without thinking about it. I like to exercise mindlessly!
Old 09-30-2003, 03:10 PM   #3  

I bought the gazelle freestyle a few weeks ago at this stores closing sale i got it for 40$$ so i decided to get it I love it its really great my body doesn't ache after and its a great workout however i get bored just sitting there using it since my husband and i are moving soon and now we have no TV!!! to watch while working out!
Old 09-30-2003, 04:29 PM   #4  
Om shanti

There is often a lot of emotion behind discussions of the Gazelle, which is perhaps a testament to how effective Tony Little is as a motivator. What I've concluded from listening to both sides is that without the pistons the Gazelle is probably not a good investment for someone aiming to use it to lose weight. The pistons were evidently added to the product because of the criticism, but of course with the pistons the Gazelle is as "hard" as a treadmill.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:18 PM   #5  

I was using the gazelle and was using it for to long at a time and got bursa in my heel (at least that is what the doctor told me caused it). I would be on it for over an hour at times. If your just starting out u can work up a sweat on it.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:13 PM   #6  

I want to thank every one for their response to my question.
Cheryl
Old 10-01-2003, 10:23 PM   #7  

I don't have the Gazelle, but a generic type of it....Mine is the XL Glider which I ordered from QVC. When I first started, I honestly thought I would never be able to make it more than 5 min. Just 5 min had me totally out of breath even tho there is no resistance. After a few weeks, tho, I was up to 20 min and eventually worked up to an hour a day. I lost about 35 lbs doing that combined with eating healthier. (in about 6 months) I had a heel problem BEFORE I got my glider and found that after about 2 months, I had no problem at all. I am just beginning to have a hurting in my heel again and realized it has been about 5 months since I used my Glider. ( when it got nice and sunny out, I replaced it with walking outdoors.) I am going to try using it again to see if it solves that problem again. I'm not sure how much weight my Glider holds, but I weighed 242 at the time I bought it and it worked fine for me.

Good luck with whatever you decide on!

Miki
Old 10-02-2003, 08:10 AM   #8  

Miki, does yours not have the two pistons on the sides? I have the XLGlider and I have the pistons on the sides which ARE resistance because you can remove them and use the machine too. It makes a big difference whether or not they are attached believe me. I started without them and like you could only manage 5 minutes, but I do 20 minutes 3 times a day now with the pistons attached.

Faye
Old 10-02-2003, 03:58 PM   #9  
Refreshed

Does this cause one to lose inches? I've just started using an old machine I had - the Cloud Walker by Denise Austin (similar to the Gazelle).

I've been using it with ankle weights and hand weights. Would this aid in toning my body and losing inches or is it pointless?

Thanks,

April Marie
Old 10-03-2003, 08:16 AM   #10  
Om shanti

With the pistons, the Gazelle should aid burning fat as well as walking on a treadmill, or at least come pretty close, without much of the risk from the impact of walking.
Closed Thread