Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #1  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Default My personal trainer doesn't quite believe my weight loss pattern

So, I'm doing this biggest winner challenge at the gyms.

Initial weigh in on January 5 was: 194.4

Week 1 weigh in was: 191.4
Week 2 weigh in was: 189.8
Week 3 weigh in was: 190.2
Week 4 weigh in was: 190.2
Week 5 weigh in was: 185.2

And I suspect I will see a loss on week 6 and then a stall out on week 7 and 8. That stinks as week 8 is the end of the competition and it will be before I have my monthly WHOOSH!

Now, what I see with my pattern is that I didn't have a spike up before ovulation (and I know I ovulated this month - getting dicey with perimenopause). That usually means I've been VERY good with food and diet and should see a very good loss or WHOOSH which I sort of am.

My personal trainer thinks my stall out might not be hormones, but my eating pattern changing - like allowing more salt as I tend to crave saltier things around ovulation.

But... that can maybe explain 3-4 days, but 17 days of stallout? And a pattern that's been pretty darn persistent for 2 plus years? (this time) and a pattern I discovered 15 years ago in a previous weight loss attempt (the only other weight loss attempt where I tracked my weight and calories).

But, while I doubt her conclusion (as I know my body and she doesn't), I guess I can keep better tabs on how much sodium I use. Most of my diet is the same (same breakfast, same lunch every day), but perhaps, MAYBE? I salt my food more in part of the month? Maybe I can try to go without adding salt after cooking food (though I cook with salt).

Anyway... kind of frustrating that my body isn't cooperative and that it's being somewhat questioned.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #2  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

Take It With A Grain Of Salt:
Roo2
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #3  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

I loose in about the same cycle as you do. You are right, you know your body better than she does and have been tracking your loss patterns for a long time to know how the patterns go.
Don't let it get you down. Keep moving towards the goal!
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #4  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

I worked with a personal trainer when I started out (again) last April. And while I hired her for help with strength and flexibility, she couldn't get it out of her mind that I didn't want any help with weight loss. For the same reasons that you say -- I know my body and I know how to lose weight with it.

It was frustrating because she would throw stuff out there, or ask me questions about my weight, and I just didn't welcome it. I let it roll off and ignored it. Sounds like maybe you should do the same?

Anyway, she is trying to get you to have a water loss, but it's fat loss that you're after, right?

I liked roo's answer above. Take it with a grain of salt. LOL
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #5  

You have to be the same weight for 6 weeks to have a stall out. And one cycle doesn't necessarily give your true weight loss pattern - that takes several months.

It is not uncommon to have weeks we don't lose after a whoosh. Take a deep breath and continue doing your best and you'll have great results.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #6  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I love my personal trainer! Although she's commented on my weight loss - she knows I'm not seeing her about that - but for fitness. And she also knows I'm not exercising to lose weight (although that is one of the effects).
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #7  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

This personal trainer is great, but all 4 of us are doing the Biggest Winner Challenge - we are in an 8 week weight loss program. So, that's why she is commenting on it because she wants me to be successful. She's actually quite awesome.

But, I will try to cut the salt back a bit. It would be LOVELY to actually see a bit of a loss when I usually stall as this is a competition. No way will I win (hello! There are some people who are shedding weight like mad!) but I want to help my team out as much as I can.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #8  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMom View Post
I loose in about the same cycle as you do. You are right, you know your body better than she does and have been tracking your loss patterns for a long time to know how the patterns go.
Don't let it get you down. Keep moving towards the goal!
This^^^^
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

You have a great attitude about this, and I'd say if you've been tracking this same pattern for two years that this is just the way your body operates. It never hurts to lessen our salt intake, but there are so many factors involved in weight loss. Good luck.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #10  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Huh. At first I thought your trainer must be a guy, but you said "she" so I guess she just hasn't experienced the ups and downs herself. I tend to go up a pound or two before a whoosh and then I'll drop several at once. If you like her other than this, I'd stick with her. She can learn something from you, too!
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #11  
Designing my new physique

S/C/G: 316

Height: 5'7.5

Lol@Roo.. I think we all are different in our systems..like Premenopause might not effect 'all' women the same. She might have yet to learn 'you' better.
avalonmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #12  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

That is exactly how I lose. 2 weeks at the beginning of the month usually has nothing then everything comes off the last two weeks.

I wonder how much experience your personal trainer has with "long term" weight loss clients. If she's dealing with people who are new to weight loss, she might be used to seeing people that have losses each each week. (as so many of us did in the beginning) She may not be used to people who have fallen into their extended weight loss pattern.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote