Old 02-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/185?

Height: 5'6"

Default February Chat

Okay, where did January go? Any whos welcome to the second month of 2013 all you wonderful ladies of the 40-somethings!!!

Still no news on H's pacemaker. Keeping the spirits as possitive as possible. It will happen, it will happen! I just have to be patient & keep believing.

Staying healthy as possible. Eating is good, did have some pizza (a little too much?) night before last. I just felt so tired of trying & the pizza just said, "Come to me." So I did. But I've been doing well the rest of the time. Keeping up with my walking & even my toning exercises for my arms. I'll admit it, when it comes to my weight...I'm discouraged. I haven't had a reason to move my slider since I can't remember. I've got to pound into my head that probably once we get H's pacemaker in, things will calm down. I won't be stressed so much & the weight will probably slide off. A girl can hope, right?

My goals for Month #2:
1. NOT obsess about the scales. I am not a number on a stupid wheel!
2. Keep doing what is healthy & good for me. It will pay off, one day.
3. Find a dr./clinic AND GET A PHYSICAL! 3+ yrs. is waaay too long!

Wishing you all well. Happiness & good health! BE STRONG! BE THE WOMEN OF THE 40-SOMETHING! I PROUD OF YOU ALL!!! GO!!! GO!!! GO!!!
MrsTryingAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/see signature/140

Height: 5 foot 5

Hello all......Hoping to make some headway in Feb....I really didn't accomplish much in January...talked about losing weight a lot and that is as far as it went.....how depressing....but this is a new month.....
Zumbachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #3  

Catching up from a few posts from the end of Jan Chat:

newleaf: You are most welcome for the compliments! I see them as being a real boost to confidence. It lets you know that you can do great things, if you try. Keep going. As for 3rd graders being concerned about weight...UGH!!! Yes, it is important to make sure that kids are eatng healthy, getting plenty of exercise & that we are setting an example, but DANG!! Let a kid be a kid! Unless they truely have a health issue or potential for one, give a kid a chance to grow up!

kelijpa: 160# WOO HOO!!! I am proud of you!!! Keep up the excellent work!

NEMom: Good job on working you program! AWESOME!!! YOU ROCK!!! As for TOM, it'll pass. Yes, it makes us bloated, crave stuff we really shouldn't & all the rest, but it temporary. And remember you are NOT alone! We've been there & felt like kicking the scales, the cat, the dog, the hubby, the kids...whatever happens to get in the way. But as just as quickly as it arrived, it'll go away.

vegangypsy: Hope to see plenty of you here in February. Support helps you stay on track. Plus we are awesome, right?

If I missed anyone. Sorry!!! Here's to making this short month count! Let's go, girls!!!
Old 02-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #4  
Onward & Downward

MrsTryingAGain: Hoping for better news for H this month. As for your ticker not moving... look at it this way... it didn't move UP either. With the stress you are under right now I think that is pretty amazing. Pizza or other things once in awhile is okay as far as I'm concerned. If I don't let myself have some of the things I love once in awhile there is no way this will be a life change.... it will only be a diet and in that case I'm set up to fail.

Zumbachicka: It's a new month! You can do it!

Sorry to those I didn't catch from the end of the January thread. Keep up the good work everyone! We can do it!

My challenges this month are going to be the 14-16 (going to my folks (5 hr drive each way) because 17 yo is going on a college preview there... the 22-24th... also going to my folks for their 50th wedding anniversary and last the 27-March 2nd DH and I are going to Vegas for a mini getaway. I've got to figure out how to keep eating right and exercising for these days.... and to get right back to it when I get home each time.
LuvCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 183/159/128

Height: 5'6.5"

Hello Everyone!

Well, I have had a horrible couple of work weeks. Week before last I was strong - no alcohol, ate lean and low-carb, worked out - - then on Sunday I decided to treat myself to some vino - went downhill from there. More work stress on Monday....came home, didn't work out, sat on the couch, ate,...it snowballed through the rest of the week.

So today I am back on the no-wine / no carb and exercise wagon. I've put a 7 week plan in place to reach my goal weight. My Mom is flying in today which will help - she's already on her program (similar), and will inspire and support me.

I ran 30 minutes this morning, shoveled snow, and ran to the grocery store to stock up on healthy food. And my evening wine substitutes - - decaf amaretto coffee, soda water, and green tea. Just need to urge surf, and keep reminding myself that this is not a restriction I resent, but a choice I am making to recalibrate, manage my stress better and achieve my goal before the one-year anniversary of my beginning of this journey. 183 pounds on April 1 of last year - goal to be at 128 by March 22nd....a 55 pound weight loss when I hit it! Today I weighed in at 146 and 3/4 - 18 and 3/4 pounds left to lose. Importantly, I've already lost 36 and 1/4 pounds and need to celebrate that, and use it as a reminder of my ability to shed the rest!!

Well, conference call in 30 minutes (yep - working weekends). Then I can pick up Mom and RELAX!

Sheila
Sheila22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/see signature/140

Height: 5 foot 5

Sheila...you are just a ball of energy..I feel like such a slug.

Luvcats....you have a coup,e of super busy months ahead......you can do it!

Yes feb is a short month! Lets see how much we can accomplish.....I had four glasses of wine this whole weekend and I think that's keeping me puffy and bloated.....I haven't been eating too badly....it's been so hard to lose weight this go around....
Zumbachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #7  

Hello Ladies!

Well, Day 1 down and Day 2 off to a good start. Woke up this morning, had coffee and two vegan sausage patties - ran 30 minutes on the treadmill, and now cooking like a fiend...pulled out the rest of the Honey baked ham I had frozen after Christmas, made au gratin potatoes and crockpot mac and cheese (ALL NOT FOR ME - Superbowl Sunday ). Now onto making some "me" food for the week.

Started a big pot of vegetable soup and gearing up to start chopping - will make vegan chicken salad, fresh salsa, vegetarian taco meat (for a taco salad later), and also will boil some shrimp and chill it for later (Mom and I will have shrimp cocktail during the game. ;-). Also (not for me), I'm making some homemade meatballs to throw in the freezer for later this week for the kids and my Mom - I got lean ground beef (haven't gotten the kids to accept ground turkey yet, but I'm working on it)

....so good morning. And candidly, it's been nice not to sit around thinking about everything going on at work. And REALLY nice having my Mom here. She looks and feels GREAT. 15 pounds down, and we are energizing each other talking about what we eat, how great we feel when we eat small but frequently, exercise, how excited we are to be in new (smaller!) clothes....it has been exactly the breath of inspiration I needed to secure me back on track.

I'm not going ANYWHERE today. Just cooking, will pick away at laundry, pay bills and just RELAX.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Oh - and the scale rewarded me this morning - down 1 and 3/4 pounds from YESTERDAY to 145! I'm convinced my late night binging and the wine on Friday night was the cause of yesterday's high weigh-in. Still, it's nice to feel rewarded for my Saturday discipline.

I'll try to check in later!
Sheila
Old 02-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #8  

My new tracker!
Old 02-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 155.2/150/149

Height: 5'2"

hi, all,

sorry I've been a bit MIA. I've been on another chat thread and it seems I can only handle one at a time except on the weekend when I have a bit more time!

So I'm still screwing around in the mid 140s because I can't control my weekend eating and drinking (during the week, I'm generally doing great, can go a few days now with no wine generally) AND I got my running back under control. Am training for a half marathon in late April!

Things are looking up, I feel hopeful and pretty good about my body since I've started running again (I always feel slender when running regularly, even if I'm not really)

MrsTryingAgain - I sure hope that pacemaker comes through soon! Great goals list!

Zumba - yep, February is a short month, and we can accomplish crazy awesome things! Let's do it!

Luvcats - sounds like you have a good plan for the challenges!

sheila - I'm hearing you, I'm hearing you! Here's to getting back to it!

SOOOOoo...all of you here in 40s land. Any good advice for a potential first time home buyer? I'm so nervous, but I'm thinking of buying a modest little home this summer. I hope I don't get cold feet, as I do think it's probably time.
olehcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #10  
NewB'day:27Jun16

S/C/G: 233.4/231.2/199

Height: 5ft 3in

Happy February, All!

Time for February Resolutions and hitting the RE-SET button . After being sick in Dec (which was still a good month), I hit a Work and Asthma Wall in Jan and stalled. Even 'saying' the word "stall" is a victory, because I have been panicking that I was starting to gain it all back. I had the luxury of almost single-minded focus in Nov and Dec. In January, I proved to myself that I can handle a greatly increased workload (14/16 hr days) and still keep family happy. Now I'm getting that feeling that I can manage work and weightloss at the same time.

OK...studies show that WL support is key to success...so...I'll toss my Feb resolutions into the universe for all to see:

--More food earlier in the day; less/no food later in the day
--More exorcise (thinking of starting C25K with family)
--Give up liq donuts (why am I being stubborn about this?)
--Change the nightly routine for my entire family.
--No bread or pasta.
--Continue to work on staying organized and stress-free.
--Work on getting right into the middle of the Confident/I'm Doing This stage of WL.

Congrats Olehat on the home buying decision. Lots of good advice out there. I would suggest finding a good home inspector now. In our experience, the inspectors provided by the title or mortgage companies do not do a thorough job--they push the sale and might find obvious things (bad roof), but don't find flaws that you will need to know about later (windows without flashing, improperly vented appliances, etc). Also your own inspector will spend the time to help you find the things needed to maintain or service the property.

.....CLICK......Brain re-set.....Time to get things done!......February is going to be a GREAT month !!!!!

SeeMyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #11  
Onward & Downward

Thanks Zumbachica & Olehcat!

Keep it up Sheila22.

It sounds like you've got a great plan in place SeeMyFeet.

Today was pretty good. Walked around 3 miles including 2 specifically exercise. The rest was at the mall/around the house. 17 yo and I went to Red Lobster tonight. I resisted the handbreaded shrimp and had unbreaded fish instead. I was going to have a shrimp cocktail too but the waitress didn't bring it to me (got it on the bill though... grrr.... had to ask to have it removed... she was apologetic but still). Gave DD my clam chowder and split the key lime pie with her. I think I'm actually under for points. Anyway it was fun even though I didn't eat what I really wanted... and feel better for it.
LuvCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:35 AM   #12  

I was such a BAD GIRL!!! I ate & ate & ate. I ate at least 4 maple bars & 6 cupcakes & God knows what else!!!

Thank goodness it was just a dream!!!

Today was my day off from exercise. Yesterday, I stubbed the heck out of my smallest toe on my right foot, THEN I ran it over with a nearly full shopping cart & THEN to top it off I stubbed it again on the corner of the sofa. I HATE my feet, I got my grandma's feet! They ain't pretty & then on top of it the little ones are magnets for pain.
I ate well. I had to kind of push myself to eat something because I just didn't have much of an appetite. But I knew if I didn't eat...I probably would fulfill that dream! I also was able to turn down fresh Krispy Kreme donuts. My asst. man. brought them in for the Super Bowl. One dozen for just 3 employees...that's a guy for ya! I'm sorry if I'm going to go off roading on my plan...it won't be for no simply glazed donut! It would have to be something extraordinary! At least a maple bar! Offer me a maple bar & I'll probably follow you anywhere!

LuvCats: Hey, wherever you get the exercise it all adds up! Good for you! Sorry about the shrimp cocktail.

SeeMyFeet: You're right. It is a good idea to evaluate your progress & reset whatever needs to be reset. Also putting into words what you'd like to accomplish can help you reach that goal! It's what I'm doing this month. Been discouraged by my lack of loosing, so I'm going to focus just on healthy. Healthy for me, healthy for my hubby & the rest will come together.

Olehcat: Good luck with your 1/2 marathon. I never got into running, but I'm always impressed by those who do it & enjoy it. GO FOR IT!!!

Sheila: CONGRATS on the loss! Glad you & your mom are able to share this journey & encourage each other along the way.

Quick H(oward) up-date: He has been having dizzy spells again. I'm taking him to the dr. tomorrow. I'm so fed up with this waiting around. I darned near took him the hospital last night!!! His heart kept going bonkers, like a cat on catnip! Up, down, round & round. I stayed up with him most the night, so it made it really hard to go to work today. I was proud though, I did it on ONE cup of coffee, a light breakfast 2 cups of spicy chia tea, light lunch and NO donuts!

Ladies I hope you have a great start to this first full week of February! Get it into gear, because spring will be here before we know it!!! LET'S GO GIRLS!!!! GO!!!! GO!!!! GO!!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #13  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

Can't believe it Feb. already. Kids only have three more months of school and they are out for the summer. Next year my son will be a senior in high school and my daughter will be a senior in college, time is flying by.

ZUMBA - Keep trying my dear. The scale may not to going down but its not shooting up either! Stay strong.

Shelia - Love your new ticker! I am glad you and your mom are able to share your new healthy lifestyles together. It's so nice to have RL support.

Olecat - Good to see you. I know for me, it is harder on the weekends to get on the computer to check in so I am usually MIA on the weekends.

Mrs.TryingAgainKeep going lady. Even if the scale does not show it, you are doing a great job! It will pay off on the scale soon. I am so sorry hubby is having such a hard time getting the medical help he needs. I sure hope the doctors wake up and do something soon.

Lovecats- Sounds like you have a great plan in place! Keep up the good work.

I did not have a good food weekend. Friday was not too bad until I ate a ton and I mean a ton of trail mix. Saturday started out well but we went to a going away party on Sat. night and I ate too many little wienies chips and dips. Sunday was good until I discovered how good the Cliff Protein Power bars are that I got for my son. There is a chocolate mint one that tastes just like the girl scout thin mints. OMG, I had two and they are not light on calories.
I am stilling doing the C25K program. Started week three today and I was actually excited to get up this morning and work on it. The next day (which will be Wed. for me) has me running 5 min at a time. I am a little nervous about that but trying to stay positive as I don't want to physic myself out.
This week I also hit my two month smoke free mark. Love using the electronic cig. Wish I would have found it years ago!

I took my son to the doctor on Friday afternoon. He has been sleeping a lot and has stopped doing things he enjoys, like playing video games. We had a talk a week or so ago and he confessed to me that he has some self confidence and self esteem issues. I feel so bad as a mom to have my son so down on himself. He is a bigger kid, always has been and always will be. It's funny because doctors are always mentioning his weight at physicals as something to work on. This time he had lost 15 lbs since he was there in July and the doctor mentioned it like is this something you were trying to do. I thought she would be super excited for him, I was. They took some blood to check for medical issues that may be causing his sleeping so much and depression but I'm sure it is something I need to help him work through.
We had a HUGE wake up call on Friday. A fellow classmate of my kids committed suicide on Thursday night. My son played football with him for many years and my daughter is really good friends with his brother. The scary thing is many of the signs this young man showed, sleeping a lot, etc. are the same signs my son is showing. My daughter called me Friday afternoon and said "Mom, don't let this happen to Chris". Broke my heart. Must have even been a wake up call for my husband to because he talked to our son Friday afternoon and Chris said he even had tears in his eyes. So, the whole family is trying to support him the best we can. He loves lifting weights and has a weight lifting class a school. I took him to Max Muscle and got him some vitamins and protein shakes to try and help him bulk a little. I am also going to get him a gym membership and want him to work with a trainer a little to be sure he is lifting correctly. He is self conscious of his weight, he is not that fat but he is big and is always going to be bigger. Maybe if he bulks a little, he will see himself as ripped and not just big. Anyway, really worried about him but I am trying to reach out and help him.

Hope you all have a great day.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Happy Monday! Happy Love Month (February!)

Phew, what a weekend! We went to our favorite ski area (Steamboat Springs). We skied Friday...it was snowing and foggy so visibility was very poor, but it was the 3rd day straight of snow...there was so much powder it was awesome. I skied harder than I have in years. My legs were jelly by the end of the day. Want to burn some calories? Ski! I ate and ate and still came in under my limit. Saturday the clouds lifted. I hadn't planned to ski because I was so sore and we had to leave at noon anyway to pick up our DD, but the sky was so clear blue, warm temps, great conditions, we couldn't resist. Here's a pic from Saturday (below). I'm in the middle, my husband is on the right, and a dear friend who came with us is on the left. The downside is with my tired muscles, I'm retaining a lot of water, so I showed up a pound today. But I'm not sweating it...or maybe more sweat is what I need! I'll weight again in a couple more days.

MrsTryingAgain: I agree...where did January go? Congrats on resisting the donuts. I'm with you...if I'm going to blow it, it won't be for a simple glazed donut. I'm so worried for your DH! Take good care of him and keep a close eye. Stupid medical system! You're a strong woman, dealing with all of this and still staying on plan. Congrats!!!

Zumbachica: It is a new month! You can do it!!

Sheila22: Sounds like your mom's visit has been good for both of you. What a great support system you have going! Congrats on the scale and the new ticker.

LuvCats: The fact that you're already planning for your challenging days tells me you'll do just fine. Nice job on the restraint at Red Lobster!

olehcat: Nice to see you check in when you can. I agree with getting your own inspector. They're totally worth the cost...even if you end up not buying the house, think of all the $$ and headache you saved if you bought the house and then had a bunch of problems.

SeeMyFeet: Those are great Feb. resolutions! What are "liq donuts"? Liquid donuts? What?? February IS going to be a great month!

NEMom: I'm sorry your son is struggling! The good thing is you're recognizing there may be an issue and doing something about it. This age can be so difficult! You support him, we'll support you! Oh...and don't mention girl scout cookies...I have a living room full of them and I haven't had one yet... You're doing great, so don't beat yourself up about a couple of bars. Today is a new day and you can reset.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 of us smaller.jpg (31.9 KB, 7 views)
Moondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 156/157/142

Height: 5"4'

Hi all.

Moondance. A bit jealous. Love to ski but I live in the flatlands and am pretty broke these days. Looks fun. Great exercise.

NEMom. Keep up the good work on the C25K. If you don't quite make the whole longer interval the 1st time in the week, you will next time. No harm and no shame in it. I feel for your son, give him a big hug, its sooo hard for kids to maintain a good body image. I hope he knows it gets better.

Its snowing again here. Maybe snowshoes would be a good investment after all. Its pretty but I am not motivated to get out and exercise.
junem is offline   Reply With Quote