Old 02-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #1  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Default Eat to Eliminate Fat Cells?

Today I was thinking about how midly annoying it is that fat cells fill up with watering, halting progress on the scale. More annoying is that fat cells don't seem to go away...ever. Allegedly "the The number of fat cells you have are set by the time you go through puberty. As an adult, you cannot get rid of your fat cells."

However, I have come across a couple articles about antiangiogenesis. Angiognesis is a process where tumors create a private blood supply for themselves in order to grow and spread. This is how many cancers are growing. According to an article I read, "The importance of angiogenesis in health and disease is also leading to new insights for obesity. It turns out that fat, like tumors, also relies on a blood supply to grow. In some of his last work, Folkman and his colleagues found that antiangiogenesis drugs caused dramatic weight loss in obese mice by reducing the blood supply to fat cells. "
http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswee...ng-legacy.html

So what are your thoughts on this? Do you think you can kill fat cells with foods that contain antiangiogensis properties?
http://www.eattodefeat.org/foodlist
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

I am currently collaborating with a couple of scientists on this topic using drugs that were initially developed as anti-cancer drugs. Some anti-angiogenesis drugs have their own problems though and it is not entirely clear whether some may not promote cancer metastasis. More research will be needed.

The problem with food is that any natural compounds will likely not accumulate in your body at high enough levels to make a big difference. A different area of research is the switch from brown to white adipose tissue. Brown fat is present in babies and creates heat to keep the body temperature warm. During growth we loose this type of fat. The thought is that converting adult white fat back to the brown type could prevent obesity. You can google it or look here: http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2012/10/129...rown-fat-cells

There is also research going on to determine how one can limit the formation of lipid bodies that accumulate in adipocytes and are effectively the fat storage sites. The enzymes involved in this conversion are known. I have not heard about natural compounds that affect this process, but think that a ketogenic diet should induce lipolysis, which is essentially the breakdown of lipid bodies into fatty acids.

I think the only way to really get rid of your fat cells is liposuction.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote