General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

Default Too fat to be photgraphed? Interesting Blog

A friend posted a link to this blog on Facebook. Might make you rethink getting your pic taken.

http://myfriendteresablog.com/so-you...-photographed/
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #2  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for sharing that!

Hands-up! Guilty!
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #3  
Never ever giving up!

S/C/G: See ticker :)

Height: 5'4.5"

Thanks for sharing. Absolutely something to think about
Em Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #4  
Make it to the moon...

S/C/G: 5/8/19: 319/254.0/150.0

Height: 5'5"

LOVE!
KimL1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Yep! I was the family photographer to get out of having my picture taken which is why I have been adamant about taking them along the journey which anyone who knows me, KNOWS that this is not me. Heck, I was the kid who cried as soon as her parents brought out the camera saying, "But I don't know how to smile!" as they would get irritated with my "pose for the camera face".

I'm NOT photogenic, so my kids will still have to say, "Well, she looked much better in real life." but at least they'll HAVE a few photos of me now!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197//135

Height: 5'1"

Default Pictures of you...

This REALLY hit home for me. My husband and I are going on a cruise in a month and even said to him that I didn't want to take pictures.....well...after reading this, has changed my view! Hopefully will help others as well!!!
http://myfriendteresablog.com/so-you...-photographed/
db1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

This article made me cry (well, more like sob). It really struck a sore chord for me. I hate having pictures taken. My husband can tell me that I'm gorgeous (and I know he means it with every fiber of his being) and my friends can tell me that I "wear my weight well". I lose weight and I can start feeling great about myself and then I see a picture and it is so demoralizing.

Why do pictures and film make everyone look heavier no matter our size? Can someone please tell me that?

Two years ago at my wedding I was 200 pounds and everyone said I was so pretty in my dress (and they really meant it), but when I look at the pictures of my wedding I see that roll of fat that the spanx didn't quite smooth or how the jacket fit across my back and feel uncomfortable.

No matter how many ex-boyfriends or friends tell me I'm beautiful or that I have a beautiful body I've never felt it. As a heavy teenager.. as an adult.. and I'm soon to be out of my 30's. There was a couple of months when I was a size 14 (probably a US size 12 now) when I started feeling attractive. I felt good in my body.

I want to feel beautiful. I want to look at pictures of myself and remember the time it captured and not be appalled by how I looked. The only way that I know how to do that is to get rid of extra weight and tone up with exercise. But I wonder if I'll ever internally feel it and I don't know how to fix THAT.

I think back to the times when I felt heavy at 180, 190, 200 pounds etc and I'd love being back down there right now. One day my body will have more wrinkles and aches and pains and I'll look back at my body now with envy. Why can't I appreciate my body in the here and now? I don't know. How do you get through to your own heart?

Last edited by Renwomin; 02-02-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

Thank you for posting this, I am guilty as well not getting my picture taken,
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 272/272/160

What a great post. I stopped taking pictures when my weight started sky rocketing. Even if I am forced into pictures I hide behind whatever I can. I am definitely going to start focusing on the joy of being with people than how big I'm gonna look in the picture.
TWaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:46 AM   #10  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

I HATE having my pic taking. I have a really fat face; I swear 50% of the weight I need to lose is in my face. And it always looks 10 times worse in photos than it does in the mirror. But this article really made me think, "Duh. It's not like you're keeping a secret by avoiding the camera."
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

I hardly have any pics of me because I hate how fat I am. Hardly any of me with my kids. This is a great post and I'm so glad you shared it.
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

Glad to see this struck a chord with so many. I'm also going to be making an effort to be in pictures.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 257/207/135

I can so relate to this. I have gotten better over the past several months but I still need to just let the pictures be taken. My DH on the other hand still avoids the cameras. I tell him all the time that when he is gone, we will have not photos of him. He does not seem to care, so all we have are the unflattering "surprise we got you" pictures.
jp4ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #14  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

My mom absolutely freaks when she sees pictures of my dad in later years. One of our former staffers donated a picture she took of him for display at the local humane society (he was a founding board member), and she was ticked right off because she really figures that all you can see in the photo is how big he was, not WHO he was. Not WHO she married. The only photos she keeps out are his college graduation and one from early on in their marriage when he was smaller.

When he passed, there was a huge discussion over this, because we fought over the photo for the alter. She didn't want one at all. I had to explain to her that while I could sort of understand the shame and guilt she felt about the shape my father ended up in, she also had to remember that I barely remembered him as anything smaller than 5 or 600 pounds, and that my younger brothers had never known him a different way. The man in those pictures was the man that they remembered, and he was their father, they weren't looking at his size. Precious few photos of him were taken, for the same reasons we all avoid the camera. I don't want to hide the ones we have.

That being said, I've hid from the camera a lot. But it's the snaps that caught me - ones I didn't know were being taken, ones where I had to be in them, that helped me come to the realization I changed. And while there's still shame there, I'm glad I'll be able to have a visual record of where I came from.

And if I had hid from this picture:

I would have regretted it all my life. I'm still over 400 pounds here. But more importantly, I'm with my nephew, having the time of my life.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #15  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

That is such a perfect example radiojane! I look at this picture and I think:

1. Aw, how absolutely adorable.
2. This is some great photography that really captures a moment.
3. She's completely gorgeous.

Never - ever - did I think, "Good grief, she's ENORMOUS."
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote