Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/213/140

Height: 5'5

Default Weight gain after workout?!

I recently purchased a new digital scale to help out in my new journey. It was pretty pricey and shows weight, BMI, water hydration, and % body fat. So for all of this I expected it to be well worth it.

I heard that the best time to weigh yourself is in the morning as soon as you wake up, which I do. However, I've been also weighing myself a second time around mid-afternoon after a hard 1 hour work out, and the scale reads an increase in 2 lbs from the morning number!!! I don't think the scale is defective because my whole family also uses it, and their numbers are all consistent and accurate.

The whole thing is frustrating and irritating. Why is this happening? Can anyone help with this?
mellyymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #2  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

When I started incorporating my elliptical I gained at first, something about your muscle retaining water. Dont worry about it, just keep on going. Try to only weigh in the morning before u start fearing drinking water or eating because of what the scale might say.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #3  

Never ever weigh yourself after working out!! Your muscles are all gassed up and already trying to repair themselves, you are drinking water (hopefully!) as you exercise so that's in your body, so many factors to consider!

If you are going to weigh yourself everyday, the best time is in morning after the potty and before you eat or drink anything.

Other than that, you will lose your mind!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #4  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

aside from the muscle issue, WIs during the day or evening include what you've had to eat and drink that day, as your body processes it. It's not an indication of what your body actually weighs. Even without working out, most people "gain" a few pounds over the course of the day.

You should stick with first thing in the morning only, the rest isn't really any kind of useful information.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #5  

Thank you all for the feedback!!! Really appreciate it... I'll try not to get "scale" obsessed, and keep weigh-ins to once a day in the am after waking up. It's just so tempting!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #6  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by April Snow View Post
aside from the muscle issue, WIs during the day or evening include what you've had to eat and drink that day, as your body processes it. It's not an indication of what your body actually weighs. Even without working out, most people "gain" a few pounds over the course of the day.

You should stick with first thing in the morning only, the rest isn't really any kind of useful information.
^^this^^. Lately, I've found that if I weigh myself only once a week or even once every two weeks, I get a lot less frustrated. The daily ups and downs were not helping me at all and the whole point is to use it as a tool to help you. It's only one indication of what's going on and the little ups and downs are not a true indication of the big picture.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #7  

Awesome! Thanks doll