Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 251/251/165

Question Help me figure out why I'm not losing weight?

Hi, I've been a lurker for about 2 months, but this is my first post. I hope you don't mind!

Since the first of January, I've been working hard at a healthy new lifestyle, but I haven't lost even a single pound? I also haven't seen any changes in terms of inches; my clothes still fit the same and I have not lost any inches. In fact, my jeans feel tighter now than they did in December.

- Starting weight: 251 lbs, 5'8" height -- plenty to lose.

- I'm not dehydrated. I drink tons and tons and tons of water - maybe too much water? More than a gallon a day, and I pee all the time.

- I haven't pooped very much since I've started eating less.

- I exercise by taking a walk 30 minutes a day. Maybe I need to ramp up my workouts? My day job is a sedentary desk job: Web designer; I sit in front of computer all day.

- Here's a typical day's food - any red flags here?
Breakfast: Oatmeal with a tablespoon of peanut butter mixed in, and a soft-boiled egg.
Lunch: Turkey sandwich from subway on wheat bread, tons of vegetables, honey mustard dressing, American cheese.
Snack: an apple
Dinner: Lentil soup, baked sweet potato, small salad without dressing
Total: 1200-1400 calories a day.

- I'm currently using myfitnesspal.com to track calories, logging every bit of food going into my mouth, weighing every food portion with a scale or with measuring cups, pretty well sure that my problem isn't the result of incorrectly estimating the calorie count. I don't have cheat days. I don't eat any "extras" that aren't logged.

- I'm not hungry! Oh, yes, the first 2 weeks were awful, but now that I'm a month into it, my stomach has, like, stopped producing hunger signals. I'm not hungry. I could go all day without eating anything. I eat at certain times of the day because I intellectually know that I need to, but I no longer feel that "Oh, time to eat!" signal every few hours. There's no way that this is a healthy or normal part of dieting, so what do you make of this? Is my lack of hunger tied to my lack of weight loss?

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by BonVivant11; 02-01-2013 at 01:51 PM. Reason: add info
BonVivant11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #2  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

What is the calorie range of all this? I know for me to lose at that weight I need to consume 2400-2600.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #3  

Sorry! I edited the post!

1200 calories a day -- too low?

In the past, I've lost weight by eating 1200 calories a day though.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #4  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Remember, as you weigh less, you'll need to cut your calories further to drop the weight, so you don't want to start out too low - you really shouldn't be cutting it lower than 1,200 as you progress, so you might be starting out too low for your body's needs at this point. Exercise is good for toning, but don't count on it to really help you with weight loss. The activity helps your body in so many ways, so it's definitely a good thing, but you can get to goal without exercise as many have done. It aids, but don't think of lack of exercise as a major factor in weight loss. Also consider - how exact was your initial weight - any chance that was off? Good luck.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #5  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

maybe try more protein, less carbs?
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #6  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonVivant11 View Post
Sorry! I edited the post!

1200 calories a day -- too low?

In the past, I've lost weight by eating 1200 calories a day though.
Definitively way too low! I'd up it. You can use a calorie app like lose it! OR find a bmr calculator + harris benedict equation to get your baseline cals and reduce them a hundred or so.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

I think drinking more than a gallon of water a day is to much. I'd cut back a little. I personally get 64 ounces a day. I started at 229 on the first of January, and am 5 foot 2.

Are you logging each calorie you take in? Are you measuring everything you eat and drink? If not, you need to break out the measuring spoons and cups, and food scale if you have one!!

Are you having mayo on your subs? If so, cut out the mayo.

I know I wasn't losing and "thought" I was within a certain calorie range. Then I started logging everything as soon as I ate/drank it, and saw quickly I was taking in more than I thought I was.
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #8  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I agree that on paper it's too low, but that defintely should NOT mean that no weight loss should occur, especially at the beginning! Really doesn't make sense!

If you are tracking your calories diligently, weighing/measuring ALLLLLL your food, and recording every.single.bite, I'd consider seeing a doctor.

More often than not people (not you specifically, so please don't take offense) are off on their calorie count. For example not counting the creamer in their 8 cups of coffee a day (whoops didn't account for 800+ calories right there) or the cookie they snagged at the office on top of the bites of dinner that were taking while preparing it. Or just a simple matter of eye balling their portions instead of weighing or measuring. Some people are great estimaters, I for one am horrible at it! You get the idea, just examples.

Are you having "cheat" days? If so that could very easily cancel out any deficit you've created throughout the week.

If you are 100% without a doubt sure you are intaking 1200-1400 calories a day plus not having any higher calories days on the weekends or whenever, I truly have no idea what the problem could be aside from something medical!

Last edited by LockItUp; 02-01-2013 at 11:23 AM.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #9  
:)

S/C/G: 330/

Height: 5'5"

I would start using an app or online calorie program to help you track your calories. Myfitnesspal.com is a good one that I use. I would also weigh or measure all your food just to make sure your portions aren't off.

Good luck. You can do this!!
sassyangies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #10  

Yeah, the calorie count isn't the problem. I diligently weigh and measure every morsel I put in my mouth. I'm using myfitnesspal to track my calories. I am not having mayonnaise on my sandwiches, or any extras. I log the honey mustard dressing, I watch to make sure the clerk doesn't put too much dressing on my sandwich, I log to the calories in the cheese, I log the calories in each slice of meat (I mentally watch and count as the sandwich is being made.)

When measuring food portions, I always use either a scale or measuring cups. If I'm supposed to eat "2oz. chicken," I'll put it on a scale and make sure of that!

I am absolutely sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that my daily calorie count is 1,200. I'm very diligent about recording every bite, and I am already using myfitnesspal.

I don't know what's up. This is really frustrating and confusing, but maybe there could be a medical issue at play.

I was a little shocked to see that I gained 5 pounds over Christmas this year - that's never happened before.

Last edited by BonVivant11; 02-01-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #11  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I'd consider seeing your doctor then. If you are taking any medication that could be one factor, there's always a chance you have some kind of issue with your thyroid, or some other thing like PCOS which can make it more difficult to lose weight. Or who knows! Maybe nothing and it's just going to take some more time, water weight can definitely mask fat loss on the scale!!!!

Keep at it! And call your doc! Best of luck!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #12  

Based on all that I have read on 3FC and MFP, I'd say 1200 is way too low for your body.

Since it's the 1st of the month, what if you "experiment" with your body and do 1500 calories a day (or some other number you pick) and see how it works out as of March 1st?

You have nothing to lose (but weight!) seeing that your low calorie diet didn't produce the results you were hoping for.

And remember, if you vamp up your workouts, you will have to watch your calories too in order to make sure you are getting enough to eat.

Our bodies are like science experiments, we have to figure out what works for us. And I found that what worked for me in the past doesn't necessarily work for me now (older, different activities, medicines, etc.).

Good luck! I hope you find something that works for you. Your dedication to the month of January proves you can stay on track and keep going from here!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

What about your sodium intake?

Maybe you need to try the low carb/higher protein diet and see if that makes a difference.
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #14  
Ghost in the Shell

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 6'0"

I would definitely speak to a doctor if I were in your position.

It sounds to me like your metabolism has slowed considerable as a result of cutting too many calories too quickly. Of course I'm not a medical professional by any stretch of the imagination, but its something to consider.
Batou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #15  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

EAT MORE

I know that seems crazy, but seriously. Eat more. You are depriving your body of healthy nutrients, etc.

- Starting weight: 251 lbs, 5'8" height -- plenty to lose. I plugged your age in as 25 (because I don't know) and you as sedentary. With that, you should be eating between 2008-2321. - http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

- I'm not dehydrated. I drink tons and tons and tons of water - maybe too much water? More than a gallon a day, and I pee all the time. I would not drink that much. I'd aim for 64oz a day. Too much water and you will mess with your PH levels.

- I haven't pooped very much since I've started eating less. You're probably not taking in enough nutrients/fiber.

- I exercise by taking a walk 30 minutes a day. Maybe I need to ramp up my workouts? What's your day job like?

- Here's a typical day's food - any red flags here?
Breakfast: Oatmeal with a tablespoon of peanut butter mixed in, and a soft-boiled egg.
Lunch: Turkey sandwich from subway on wheat bread, tons of vegetables, honey mustard dressing, American cheese.
Snack: an apple
Dinner: Lentil soup, baked sweet potato, small salad without dressing
Total: 1200-1400 calories a day.

You're eating less, but not well balanced. You should be aiming for 5-8 servings of fruits and veggies; healthy oils, lean protein. I know if I ate that I'd be STARVING all day long.

I'd add a piece of fruit to your breakfast and lunch. I'd add the oil and vinegar to your sub. I'd put some protein with your apple - like a piece of light cheese (think babybel light), you're lacking protein in your diet, in my opinion.

I'm not a Doctor, I'm just going by my own person experiences and my weight loss.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote