Old 02-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/Ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Last chance! It's now or never!

Hello! I think this is my first post in the 30-Somethings, I've been in the 20-Somethings for a loooong time now but I'm still here (although older) and still overweight!

Anyway, I'm trying something different this time. I've done WW, SW, calorie counting, slimfast and nothing's worked long-term yet. However, a few months ago I stumbled across the Harcombe Diet (this may be a UK thing, I'm not sure) and I tried it before Christmas and it worked wonders! However, Christmas hit and it all went wrong I didn't gain back all the weight I lost but enough to know I need to get back into action before I do gain it all back.

Apparently the diet is a cross between Atkins and South Beach (though I haven't tried either of them). It's low carb for the most part, with carbs being reintroduced slowly but the main point is that I can't eat carbs and fats (proteins) together and no processed food. The health benefits I noticed last time were so good that I think it's one I can stick to long-term if I try I used to be a vegetarian so this diet would have been almost impossible for me but I've since discovered the joys of steak and the rest is history

It's only been 2 days since I restarted it but I think that the reason I messed up last time was because it was just me, on my own, trying it. I thought that if there's support anywhere out there, this is the place to be! Oh! I'm also getting married next June so I've got something to aim for this time

Last edited by Anti222; 02-01-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Anti222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I'm glad you are excited - but please don't really stick with the "now or never". Now would be great, but keep at it until/when you get the job done. if this doesn't work, I would hate to believe that you really would just give up forever.

But of course, I wish you all the best of luck!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #3  

I would love to try something like this! I'm going to look it up now (I've never heard of it). Let's do it
nomorejellybeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/Ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Hehe thanks for the support! berryblondeboys, I definitely won't give up, even if I do stumble now and again. I guess I didn't really mean never, just that I'm getting married in 17 months time and if I don't start now then I'll 'never' be at the weight I want to be at in time for my wedding Thanks so much for your motivating words though!

nomorejellybeans, let me know what you think if you do look it up It's not a bad diet at all really. Cutting out the processed junk can't be anything but good and when I was on it before I found that I hardly ever felt hungry so didn't snack between meals. I managed to lose 10lbs in the first 5 detox days (sounds waaaaay unhealthy but almost all of that was water weight that you can only lose once anyway) and after that it went down to about 2lbs a week, which is much better

The hardest thing for me has been separating the carbs and fats, I never realised before how much I mix them! No more toast and butter, no more jacket potato and chicken, no more spag bol, its all either/or from now on but it has made me get really creative in the kitchen developing some good low carb meals Feeling motivated now, onward and upward!!!

Last edited by Anti222; 02-01-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Anti222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #5  
Sailing the Grand Line!

S/C/G: 255/See Sig/130

Height: 5'8"

Hi Anti222! I just wanted to pop in and say hello, I have a strikingly similar history to yours; I started in the 20-somethings at 5'7 and 245 and now I am in the 30-somethings after years of "Damn, back to *insert weight gain here*! Time to start over." I just wanted to offer support and agree with Berry, it's great to start "now!" but don't concern yourself with never. Just doing something is better than nothing at all and you're on your way there! If you ever want to PM me, feel free! Also, love your avatar.
Thousandsunny is offline   Reply With Quote