Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 01-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #1  
Designing my new physique

S/C/G: 316

Height: 5'7.5

Default Cosmetics...

Is it just me wanting everything to always be frugal or are cosmetics getting pretty spendy? I get mine at drugstores and Ulta but the advertised brands: covergirl/loreal/maybeline and revlon are getting high in price. I bought 2 tubes this past weekend, ea. cost $10.
To me that is high since I was able to find a marked down pair of superskinny jeans for $8.86.

What do you think of cosmetics in this era, do you skip it, wear spendy ones or opt for cheap ones as I do?
avalonmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #2  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Oh I will not skip wearing it, lol! And I can swing to both ends of the pendulum, I will buy those cheap Wet n Wild eyeshadows for $2 but then spend $25 on a tube of Dior mascara
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I have very sensitive eyes, so once I find a brand I like I tend to stick with it. I just tried a new type (to me) of mascara because it was on sale at Walmart. I'm happy with it. I buy the NYC brand lipstick, it's cheap and has good coverage and good color selection. I will on occasion buy the more expensive stuff (at department stores) but only if they have a great gift with purchase.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #4  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I don't wear make up, but to me it does seem expensive.
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I am a makeup addict....it is my passion, I love it.
That being said, I have always gravitated towards drugstore brands simply because I think most drugstore brands offer dupes for the spendy high end brands. Case in point, I am a former Bare Minerals user. Bare Minerals foundation was costing me approx. $25. About 7 years ago, I discovered Smoky Mountain Minerals, which is about 1/2 the price and the quality is heads above Bare Minerals.
I enjoy L'oreal Voluminous Carbon Black Mascara, which I purchase in Walmart for about $6. I love Wet n Wild eyeshadows that cost about $2 for a trio palette. Milani Baked Blushes which are about $6 and are fantastic. Physicians Formula Creme Eyeliners which are $9 for 3 liners. Almay Line Smoothing Concealer, about $6. Wet n Wild Mega Shield Lipsticks, less than $2.
I will confess I do spend a lot on skincare. I'm an Olay Regenerist girl, have been for many years. Love their cleansers, scrubs, serum, moisturizers and eye creams! For Christmas, I treated myself to the Pro X Cleansing System and I love it!
My opinion is, if you take good care of your skin, you don't need to spend a small fortune on high end pricey makeup.

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 01-30-2013 at 03:40 PM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #6  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Height: 5'4"

I love makeup too! I usually buy the luxury brands from Amazon. I can save a pretty penny ordering my Lancome from them rather than buying it in the department store. I'm also completely obsessed with Laura Mercier eyeliner right now. If I see something that I want, I'm pretty good at finding it much cheaper online.
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #7  
Downloading 10% complete

S/C/G: 190/188/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickieBoom View Post
I love makeup too! I usually buy the luxury brands from Amazon.
^^^ This!

I used to think high-street brands were cheaper, and I do still buy Rimmel foundations because I like them, but I restock when they're on offer. But for example, Rimmel mascaras for me are just pants! And £8 worth of pants at that. I buy those little tubes of Clinique High Volume and Lancôme Hypnose on eBay (they often sell the Clinique ones on Glamour magazine offers too, £2 each). I'd rather pay £5 or so for a high-end mascara I love in a tester-size tube than nearly twice as much for a high street one that doesn't work. Also, I'll look up lipsticks I like on amazon, add them to my wishlist, and bag them when there's a sale. If you wait, you can get 80% off some things. I do this with clothes as well. E.g. There was a desigual coat I loved, I found it on Amazon for £280 and added it to my wishlist. I waited until I spotted it for £80 one day and snapped it up, it was back to original price the next day!

And about 50lbs later I might get into it. Damn you tiny European sizing!

Anyway, I am going off on a tangent, so... yeah. Makeup in general is getting much more pricey. But thanks to the lovely Internet it's getting easier to find high-end brands for much less than before
the shiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:35 AM   #8  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Quote:
Originally Posted by the shiv View Post
I buy those little tubes of Clinique High Volume and Lancôme Hypnose on eBay (they often sell the Clinique ones on Glamour magazine offers too, £2 each). I'd rather pay £5 or so for a high-end mascara I love in a tester-size tube than nearly twice as much for a high street one that doesn't work. Also, I'll look up lipsticks I like on amazon, add them to my wishlist, and bag them when there's a sale. If you wait, you can get 80% off some things. I do this with clothes as well.
I love eBay for this too! My bras are really expensive so I'll go to the department store and get sized and then buy the bras from ebay at ridiculous savings. There's just no reason to spend so much money on stuff that you can get cheaper online.
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
Case in point, I am a former Bare Minerals user. Bare Minerals foundation was costing me approx. $25. About 7 years ago, I discovered Smoky Mountain Minerals, which is about 1/2 the price and the quality is heads above Bare Minerals.
JerseyGirl got me started on Smoky Mountain Minerals as well. I started with one of their kits then expanded to buying larger containers, eye shadows, skin care, etc. Quite affordable, free shipping, light coverage. The nice thing is there are ways to darken the makeup when transitioning seasons so I don't feel like I'm wasting it.

Oh, my husband uses their "Squeaky Clean" face cleanser as well.

I do keep a bottle of drug store liquid foundation for occasional use when I feel I want a denser coverage but that's just my weird self conscious hang ups.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 191/178/130

Height: 5'3"

You know, when it comes to certain cosmetics, I buy the one's they sell in department stores, like bare essentials, MAC, Dior, etc. because my skin is prone to break outs, and brands like covergirl, maybelline, etc. make mee do just that. BUT...i only get spendy on cover ups and eyeshadows. When it comes to mascara, blush, and lipstick, i buy from drug stores because there are certain brands that i love, like maybelline mascara, and covegirl brow liners, etc.
MzPiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #11  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Makeup...... MAC... ... Sephora...... Annnnnd I'm broke I love it all. I generally stick to drugstore brands for mascara and foundation. But when it comes to shadows I want the good stuff. Nothing beats the color and quality of a good shadow! (Good primer makes all the difference too) My friends and family know I am poor and can't generally afford to buy these things on my own, so I have been lucky to get numerous gift cards for Sephora for Christmas and my Birthday

If you are looking for some less expensive while still excellent quality, I recommend the Makeup Geek line (www.makeupgeek.com). Marlena is a fantastic makeup artist, makes quality videos and tutorials and has successfully lost over 100 lbs, kept it off and followed up with some surgery to clear up the extra skin and looks fabulous. She has a personal blog as well where she shares some of her weight loss tips, fashion advice etc.

TOTALLY recommend checking out her site.
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:07 AM   #12  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLMuffnTop View Post
JerseyGirl got me started on Smoky Mountain Minerals as well. I started with one of their kits then expanded to buying larger containers, eye shadows, skin care, etc. Quite affordable, free shipping, light coverage. The nice thing is there are ways to darken the makeup when transitioning seasons so I don't feel like I'm wasting it.

Oh, my husband uses their "Squeaky Clean" face cleanser as well.

I do keep a bottle of drug store liquid foundation for occasional use when I feel I want a denser coverage but that's just my weird self conscious hang ups.
So happy to hear you're enjoying Smoky Mountain Minerals Their products are fantastic!

Are you aware they also make organic liquid mineral foundation? It comes in 5 shades. I can't personally vouge for it because I detest liquid foundation but, if its as good as their other products, I'm sure you'd be pleased with it.

The thing I really enjoy about Smoky Mountain Minerals is they don't contain bismuth oxychloride, they are paraben free, inorganic so there is no allergy risk, gluten & soy free, no oils, no perfumes and they contain natural sunscreen.

You can also use a little of the mineral powder foundation mixed with your favorite moisturizer to make a cream foundation and apply it with a sponge, foundation brush or stippling brush.

Their eyeshadows are also great. My favorite is Hot Chocolate, a beautiful brown shade with subtle shimmer.

Can't say enough good about Smoky Mountain Minerals!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #13  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm cheap when it comes to makeup. The only thing I'm picky with it eyeliner and mascara. Even those can be taken care of with certain types of Covergirl. I usually buy Covergirl and Rimmel. Watch for coupons in the ads.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
I am a makeup addict....it is my passion, I love it.
That being said, I have always gravitated towards drugstore brands simply because I think most drugstore brands offer dupes for the spendy high end brands. Case in point, I am a former Bare Minerals user. Bare Minerals foundation was costing me approx. $25. About 7 years ago, I discovered Smoky Mountain Minerals, which is about 1/2 the price and the quality is heads above Bare Minerals.
I enjoy L'oreal Voluminous Carbon Black Mascara, which I purchase in Walmart for about $6. I love Wet n Wild eyeshadows that cost about $2 for a trio palette. Milani Baked Blushes which are about $6 and are fantastic. Physicians Formula Creme Eyeliners which are $9 for 3 liners. Almay Line Smoothing Concealer, about $6. Wet n Wild Mega Shield Lipsticks, less than $2.
I will confess I do spend a lot on skincare. I'm an Olay Regenerist girl, have been for many years. Love their cleansers, scrubs, serum, moisturizers and eye creams! For Christmas, I treated myself to the Pro X Cleansing System and I love it!
My opinion is, if you take good care of your skin, you don't need to spend a small fortune on high end pricey makeup.
Kim,
I get the urge to go to Sephora but my priceline is so low, it scares me to enter the store. lol
I use Physicians formula mineral coverup..from ultas.. I wish I could learn some cosmetic tricks from ya. I loaded some eyemakeup tutes, hoping to get beautiful eyes.

Last edited by avalonmoon; 02-01-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #15  

Does anyone think the price on Urban Decay pencil eyeliner is fair? I believe it's 18-$21 a pencil..I might buy it if it's decent product...love the colors.