Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 01-06-2011, 08:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 290 / 225 /170?

Height: 5'9"

Default It Works! Body Wraps

Anyone here a Groupon junkie?

One of our local Groupon-like deal sites is offering a weight loss package that includes 4 weeks of weight loss support, 1 It Works! chin wrap and 1 It Works! tummy wrap for $25.

I tried to do some research on the "It Works" Ultimate Body Application that they are schlepping, and I cannot find a decent, impartial review on it. It seems to be a pyramid scheme possibly, but I'm not sure. It does sound intriguing, and for $25 for the "weight loss support" and the wraps, it seems worth a try to jump start my program. Something to get me excited.

I realize that this is NOT my answer to permanent, sustainable weight loss and health, but it sounds like a motivator. I would be really ticked though if it turns out to be 4 weekly visits to weigh in and then a high pressure sales pitch.

Is anyone familiar with this particular body wrap program?

Last edited by Tinky; 01-06-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:29 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well are you aware of body wraps in general? They work by dehydrating your body so the scale number goes down but once you rehydrate, the weight comes back. Body wraps in general are scammy unless you are doing them to feel good, no weight loss expectations.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #3  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Agree with Nelie - they are a temporary solution! I used one once to get into a dress for a special event that was a bit more than a size too small. It worked ... for that night, but in a matter of 36 hours, I was right back to where I'd been. IMO, the money's better spent on organic produce. Of course, if it's discretionary income ... what the hey!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290 / 225 /170?

Height: 5'9"

I understand most of the workings of body wraps, but I want to know if anyone is familiar with this particular "branding" of them. I'm interested in the weight loss support, and a body wrap could be fun....but I don't want to waste my time for 4 weeks on a pyramid scheme pitch. And I don't expect to gain lasting results from a body wrap either. I see it more as a treat type thing, kind of like a manicure.
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #5  
ONe day at a time

S/C/G: 143/136/120

Height: 5'1"

It Works Body Wraps are NOT the same as other body wraps that dehydrate you. Those are all-over body wraps and you are literally wrapped in plastic wrap and then exercise and sweat out the water weight, and yes, that type of wrap is only temporary...like a day or so.

I used to be a distributor for It Works! body wraps. Im not anymore because it's a home-sales product (such as avon or mary kay) and I just don't have the time to give that it took to make decent money. I wrapped twice in 7 days and lost 4 inches. I even took pictures to document my results because I was so skeptical. The difference was unbelievable! You have to drink a LOT of water (half you body weight in ounces for 3 days from the day you wrap). If you don't they wont work. Some people see immediate results, others after 24 hrs throughout the next 3 days. But since it's not a diet, you get so impressed with the inch loss, that you may slip into the mindset that "this is so easy, that I dont need to diet or exercise". Wrong. Most of us on this website need to change our lifestyles when it comes to eating and working out. This program makes losing inches so easy that I didnt change my lifestyle...just enjoyed the results, and 6 months later was still in bad habits and heavier than before.

Last edited by Ruthxxx; 02-05-2011 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Removed soliciting
MrsMerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 245/234.6/175

Height: 5'5

I'm actually having a IT WORKS body wrap party this weekend, what about their other products? I'd like to hear it from "real" people, rather than from distributors!?!?!?
mommy2mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:37 PM   #7  
Just Me

There is nothing that you can put on your body to melt fat off, sorry. It just doesn't work like that.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:08 AM   #8  

I have heard many people complain that body wraps give quick results and you also gain weight very fast so they are not reliable. why cant you try consistent exercising and eating health diets.
Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 245/234.6/175

Height: 5'5

I am doing it the right way too, just thought the wrap may be fun, and may help define some areas.

I have heard a lot about a product they sell that is called greens or something like that. It gives you the daily recommended dose of fruit and veggies. Even eating healthy, I find it very difficult to get in the recommended dosage.
mommy2mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #10  
Keeping it real!

S/C/G: 40/31/30 waist inches!

Height: 5' 4"

Sooo ... real person here who has done a ton of different wraps! Most of these when I didn't need to lose weight but just wanted a firmer look before a vacation, etc.

I've done the vinegar soaked ace bandages - I like this one the most as I saw a lot less "dimples" in areas and the bandages were easier to be wrapped in. The one's with the celephane and the paste, aren't bad for detoxing the skin, and it does look better afterwards but you can't keep the heat in that you need with the celephane in my opinion. I've also done some kelp wraps (pretty expensive and time consuming). These also left the skin nicely even, a little less dimpling and a more even tone all over.

In general - we know these shouldn't be used to lose weight BUT some of them DO work for detoxing the top layer of cells, giving better skin tone, and moisturing really well. In all the above you have to drink a lot of water to help detox the cells. I'll do the ace bandage one coming up here soon after I hit my goal weight to help tighten everything up.

Good luck!
healthyangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #11  
it's always something

Body wraps can't do anything to reduce body fat. At most, they can cause a slight temporary reduction in water weight, which comes back as soon as you rehydrate your body.

The company "it works" has a less than favorable reputation, I'm sorry. There have been other threads about it in the past.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #12  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyangie View Post
Sooo ... real person here who has done a ton of different wraps! Most of these when I didn't need to lose weight but just wanted a firmer look before a vacation, etc.

I've done the vinegar soaked ace bandages - I like this one the most as I saw a lot less "dimples" in areas and the bandages were easier to be wrapped in. The one's with the celephane and the paste, aren't bad for detoxing the skin, and it does look better afterwards but you can't keep the heat in that you need with the celephane in my opinion. I've also done some kelp wraps (pretty expensive and time consuming). These also left the skin nicely even, a little less dimpling and a more even tone all over.

In general - we know these shouldn't be used to lose weight BUT some of them DO work for detoxing the top layer of cells, giving better skin tone, and moisturing really well. In all the above you have to drink a lot of water to help detox the cells. I'll do the ace bandage one coming up here soon after I hit my goal weight to help tighten everything up.

Good luck!
Detoxing the cells is a myth. The top layer of your skin is dead, but it is protective and required. Nothing permeates from the skin inside. It sloughs off over time, exfoliation can help and can give it a better look. There are also certain things like caffeine that can plump the skin by drawing water to it. This is how most anti-cellulite creams/products, etc work. I wouldn't be surprised if the body wraps contained caffeine or other things known to draw water out.

And as always a good moisturizer can help prevent water evaporation which is what gives skin a dry, dull look.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #13  
PortionControlling!

S/C/G: 208.8/185.4/158.8

Height: 5'10

I did this and drank a LOT of water (like I always do) and saw no difference, I even left it on over night with saran wrap. I felt pretty dumb after lol.
mrsharshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:29 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
There are also certain things like caffeine that can plump the skin by drawing water to it. This is how most anti-cellulite creams/products, etc work. I wouldn't be surprised if the body wraps contained caffeine or other things known to draw water out.
I looked briefly online and didn't see what "ingredients" are in these.

Does anyone know?

And do you wrap yourself or you need another person to do it for you?
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
I looked briefly online and didn't see what "ingredients" are in these.

Does anyone know?

And do you wrap yourself or you need another person to do it for you?
I found the defining gel ingredient list, on their website, and the 11th ingredient is Guarana Seed Extract, which is indeed *caffiene* Exceprted from Wikipedia: "As a dietary supplement, guarana is an effective stimulant:[1] its seeds contain about twice the concentration of caffeine found in coffee beans (about 2–4.5% caffeine in guarana seeds compared to 1–2% for coffee beans).[2]"

Here is the list they publish: Water (Aqua), Hamamelis virginiana (Witch Hazel) Distillate, Glycerin, Alcohol Denat., Aesculum hippocastanum (Horse Chestnut) Extract, Urea, Fucus vesiculosus (Bladderwrack) Thalle Extract, Centella asiatica (Hydrocotil) Extract, Hedera helix (Ivy) Extract, Paulinia cupana (Guarana Seed) Extract, Camelia sinensis (Green Tea) Extract, Dimethicone Copolyol, PEG7 Glyceril Cocoate, Triethanolamine, Carbomer, TEA-Hydroiodide, Methylsilanon, Mannuronate, Phenoxeythanol, Carpylyl Glycol, Sorbic Acid, Rosmainus officinalis (Rosemary) Oil, Eucalyptys globulub (Eucalyptus) Leaf Oil, Limonene, Linalool.
tinalewina is offline   Reply With Quote