Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-28-2013, 05:28 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat Jan 28 - Feb 3

Can't complain - the only shoveling of snow this week was to sweep away one light dusting from the sidewalks. Just haven't had much snow. I'm beginning to miss it.

Cookies appeared in my life on four separate occasions yesterday. That might be a record. Everywhere I went, there were cookies. It felt like the cookie gods did a blitz attack. Maybe it's because I'm aware that the Girl Scouts are out selling cookies now. I need to learn to say, "I'm allergic to cookies" with a straight face.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Bill It's so hard to say no to kids selling products for a good cause. Too bad they can't just accept a donation in the amount of what a box of cookies would cost.

I am going to be out in freezing rain mixed with ice pellets this morning. And hallelujah it's then changing to rain in the p.m. I should not read the weather forecast the day before - I was up at 2 a.m. because I'm so anxious at having to weather this day. I drive up and down hills all day.

And the scale was not good this morning either. Monday - bleagh!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Ah, Bill.......bring on the Thin Mints.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I think I made it through last year without buying GSC and I think I can do it again this year. The cookies are not good enough to justify the price.

We had a really low-key weekend. The weather didn't really allow golf like we had planned so we stayed in and napped each afternoon. We didn't even go see a movie, but that was because Django Unchained didn't have a convenient time to go see it. I think the extra sleep has helped rid us both of our colds, so it's all good.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Dagmar, they can accept a donation for the price of a box of cookies (or more). That's what I do when I see them selling cookies in front of the store. Several years ago they couldn't (don't know why), but they do now.

Bill, beginning to miss snow. That's a concept I can't wrap my head around.

Allison, glad you're feeling better.

Can we bring the flooring discussion over here? I get confused as to the difference between the two threads?? Anyway, someone mentioned they got a Marmoleum floor, and it's smeary. We're remodeling the kitchen in our rental (aka our retirement home), and I'm really stuck as to flooring. First I thought cork because I want something soft and easy-to-clean, then a flooring guy said it will "cup" around areas like the sink where water gets on it and isn't cleaned up right away. Then I looked at the Marmoleum click because I want to be able to replace one tile if something damages a section (that has happened frequently). I know I don't want tile because it's too hard, and I don't want hardwood because I've seen what a leaky dishwasher and a leaky frig water line can do. So. . .any suggestions?
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
Bill It's so hard to say no to kids selling products for a good cause. Too bad they can't just accept a donation in the amount of what a box of cookies would cost.

Dagmar
You can usually buy a box to donate to the troops overseas-- just ask....

I am in the midst of the cold. I'm at the point where my voice is leaving.... doesn't work well when I read stories all day to children. However, today is staff development so no kids are here. I'm praying that the staff leaves me alone to get my work done. They are having a "free" box lunch that I did not partake in.

I was excited because dh came home Saturday night and I thought he'd be here for awhile. Then I realized he is at meetings all week that are just far enough away that he is expected to stay in the hotel so I don't know if I'll see him at all. If I felt better and I didn't have to work, I might join him in the hotel for a night (and we didn't have a crew of animals)....

Sunday (super bowl) is his 50th birthday. We are going to Napa Saturday to return Sunday well in time for the game. I'm looking forward to it. I need to kick my cold by then and stick OP this week to give me some room to indulge this weekend.

I put on my "skinny" jeans yesterday and they were snug but they fit.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #7  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

I had a really fun girls' night Saturday making sushi with my girlfriends. Of course I need to balance that by walking the straight and narrow food-wise for a few days. I secretly like to invite people over because it forces me to clean my house. I only dust before sushi nights and parents visits, about 3x per year.

The snowbirds have arrived on the FL coast. And with snowbirds come their friendly, love-to-play dogs to the beaches. I feel like I'm committing some crime. I troll the beaches looking for playmates for my dog. Then I act like it's a total coincidence when I meet a visitor and their furry friend. I ask innocently, "Oh, is your dog friendly? Should we let them off the leashes to play?" As if I haven't said these words 3 times that day already. And then I encourage them to run, run, and when their dog is tired out, clip back up to my dog and move down the beach to find our next victim. Ah, playmate. Saturday and Sunday mornings you can find us at the beach.

I tell the GSs "I'm allergic to sugar" without qualms. I'll tell anyone anything to get them to stop pushing processed sugar and alcohol on me (somehow the lies work better than the truthful "I'm trying to watch what I eat" etc). I have been known to main line a sleeve of thin mints in one sitting. Best I stay away entirely.

Allison, glad you're feeling better. I'm sure it was nice to relax at home, too, now that you have your house to yourselves again.

Dagmar, stay safe out there!

Have a good week everyone.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #8  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Well, I got the job.

My manager called me early Friday afternoon and offered it, and I accepted it. So I'll move up into the managerial class, and will be supervising maybe five people. And I will get a raise of 5%, which I can certainly use, because the monthly maintenance charge has gone up at my apartment complex in the wake of the flood, my flood insurance has gone up, and we'll have a surcharge to pay every month for construction of the flood wall, should that be approved by the Zoning Board in a few weeks' time.

You'd think I'd be happy, right? I was light-headed for a moment and then, almost immediately, deeply anxious. So anxious that I stayed very close to home all weekend, and did not go downtown on Sunday as I'd planned, but instead stayed in, making soup, baking muffins, scrubbing the bathroom floor, watching bad TV.

Hard to explain this, but I'll try: It feels like my reward for excelling will be that I'll be asked to do even harder things, and I feel pressure to excel at that, and what if I can't? What if I screw it up?

And still, yes, some part of me is happy that my on my third try for a management job, I finally made it. But now I feel unqualified, like, oh boy, I'd better go out & get educated on handling people. I definitely feel like I need a stack of books from the business section. There has to be some sort of Management for Dummies or My First Management Job, right?
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #9  
Workin' It

Ah, Girl Scout cookies. I love them. I almost made it without buying any last year, but then as I was bringing a friend home from the hospital where he had his appendix removed he wanted to stop and buy some from a table in front of the CVS. I couldn't handle the peer pressure. As several boxes are still unfinished on the counter in the kitchen I may have to just not buy any this year.

Sheila, I know nothing about flooring. I do know I don't like the hardwoods I have, and my tile is kind of meh. If you find a good solution for your kitchen I may look at it to replace mine.

Bill - I thought about your comment about not needing a freezer as my chest freezer was delivered yesterday. I remember on those rare occasions with lots of snow we would put sodas and other items outside. Can't do that here now so much.

Allison - I'm glad that you are kicking your cold!

Dagmar - stay safe in the weather today.

I made it through this weekend only .2 above what I weighed on Friday. I feel pretty good about that. I'm retaining some water in sore muscles and had some salty soup later in the evening last night, so I'm hoping for some kind of whoosh soon. I've been eating between 1100-1500 calories most every day for a month now and am averaging 1500 for the last month even with a couple of high days, with a maintenance level of 1800 something should be moving downward soon! LOL
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Woo hoo Saef!!!! Congratulations! It is normal to feel trepidations but you are entirely qualified and will excel in your new endeavor! Kudos!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #11  

Hi gang,
No Girl Scout cookies for me. Can't eat just one.
Had a bad week last week, so this week I won't weigh myself for a few days. The deal is in exchange for a break from the scale (which today would depress me) I have to eat well again. Really well. By Wednesday or Thursday I will re-weigh and be back on track. Another part of the deal is that if I DON'T get back on track I have to weigh myself daily, no exceptions. I can accept a winter weight five or six pounds abiove my summer weight, but I can't accept this gradual creeping up of my weight beyond that! Another part of the deal is to tell you all I'm having a rough go of it and knowing someone is reading this.
ChrisMohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Congratulations, saef ! You deserve a promotion and I know you will be doing a superb job in your new position. Do not feel unqualified, they would not have offered you the job if you were not the best qualified person applying.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #13  
Workin' It

I missed three posts while I was working on mine.

Michele - high five on the skinny jeans! Hope the cold is gone by Sunday.

Megan - I find when I tell people I'm watching what I'm eating I tend to end up just being handed more food with a 'you can handle just one'. Allergic to sugar would work so much better. LOL

Saef - congratulations on the job! I understand the anxiety - supervising people makes everything just a little different. There are books on it, I've read several. I'll look on my shelf when I get home and put up the titles of any that were helpful. You won't screw this up - you are good at what you do, and that will show to the people that you are supervising.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #14  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMohr View Post
I can accept a winter weight five or six pounds abiove my summer weight, but I can't accept this gradual creeping up of my weight beyond that!
I've had the concept of "winter weight" on my brain lately, as checking my journal shows me that I tend to gain weight in late December and then lose it come April. It's not looking like holiday pounds, as I do not overindulge at Christmas, since I abstain completely from all goodies whatsoever. But I tend to overeat on healthy foods & at mealtimes during that season. And yes, that gain always makes me believe that my life as I've come to know & love it is ending, that it's going to gradually creep up. That fear is the only way that I keep that gain at five pounds.

But Chris ... what happened this past week? What have you been doing differently? Do tell. If you had a do-over for the past week, what different choices would you make.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #15  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I saw a number under 122 yesterday after the gym. Now I feel like a failure because I'm somewhat closer to "normal" today - my appetite is raging because HELLO I've been at a steep deficit for a week. Numbers, scales, mind games.

Congrats on the job saef! I think feeling qualified for a promotion is kind of like feeling like an "adult" - no one ever wakes up and goes "I am a responsible adult and totally ready," you just learn as you go along.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote