Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-26-2013, 10:33 PM   #1  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Feeling Cold All The Time

I'm gonna put this question here because I hope it will get more responses but mods can move it wherever it's appropriate.

I've been feeling cold All The Time for a long time now and I'm not sure what to do about it. I know that people who have lost weight will feel cold because they've lost their "insulation" but I'm still in the 180s, considered overweight/obese for my height. I can't remember the last time I really felt comfortable/warm all the time but it's been years at least, and I'm sure before I actively tried to lose weight.

Everyone else in the house is comfortable with the heat around 60-65 during the day. I'm freezinggggg and I'm already wearing two layers of shirts, a t-shirt and a hoodie, as well as a beanie hat. My hands are almost always cold, as are my feet. In the morning before work, I put both shirts that i wear in the dryer to warm them up before I head to work. I wear a long-sleeved shirt to work, with a sweater over that, as well as a coat and hat.

In the evening I put my long fuzzy bathrobe in the dryer to warm it up and then put it on. I'll be warm for maybe half an hour and then cold again. I don't feel "chilled" like when you are sick. It has no correlation to being sick. When I work out, I leave the gym drenched in sweat and feeling hot. Within a half hour I am super cold again, often more cold than at other times.

I just had my thyroid checked and they said it was 0.89 which was in the normal range. I'm thinking of starting iron supplements but haven't been officially checked for anemia. Is it safe to just take them?

Any other ideas on what could be causing this?
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Alaska? ;-)

Ha ha--you covered my one tip--working out. I used to always have problems with cold, but since I started working out and building muscle, I think I've boosted my metabolism.

Drinking hot drinks also helps...

Last edited by HungryHungryHippo; 01-26-2013 at 11:22 PM.
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:34 PM   #3  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

Hey, apparently it's when you're at a caloric deficit. when you revert back to maintenance you should feel less"cold". I can totally sympathize with you though, i keep my apartment at 75-78. I wear wool sweaters over long sleeves at work. the only place i'm actually warm is the yoga studio, which is kept at 105 F.
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:39 PM   #4  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryHungryHippo View Post
Alaska? ;-)

Ha ha--you covered my one tip--working out. I used to always have problems with cold, but since I started working out and building muscle, I think I've boosted my metabolism.

Drinking hot drinks also helps...
born and raised alaskan and proud!! actually i grew up in Interior Alaska which winters normally dropped to 50 below zero or more on the homestead where i grew up....so to be in the southeast part now, where it's 20 at the coldest, should NOT make me this cold

and also, i dont know if i put above or not, i was cold like this before i started actively losing weight...if that makes a difference
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #5  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I used to always be the person who was hot when others were comfortable, and comfortable when everyone else was freezing. When I lost about 65 lbs a couple of years ago, my body themostat changed and I became one of the people who was always cold. And oddly enough, even though I gained back almost all of the weight, my thermostat didn't shift back.

I try to layer clothing, and I leave generally my shoes on in the house, to help keep my feet warmer. At work, we aren't allowed to use space heaters, but I have a heating pad I keep on my lap most of the day. At home, I use an electric throw. esp. if I want to sit on the couch to watch tv, because the only place it fits is against an outside wall.

I like the theory that this will go away when I'm not running a calorie deficit but unfortunately, it didn't go away as I added 60 lbs back, so I kind of don't think that's going to happen.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:53 AM   #6  

Have you had your thyroid checked lately? If it is out of balanced it can make you cold in addition to having problems with losing weight.

Edit: Okay, did your doctor just do a TSH or a T3? T3 tests can catch stuff that a TSH can't.

Last edited by JadedPhoenixBurning; 01-27-2013 at 12:54 AM.
JadedPhoenixBurning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:40 AM   #7  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Very normal. It gets a bit better after awhile at maintenance.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #8  
Be strong and courageous

S/C/G: 310/195/140

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

I'm always cold. My hands and feet are like ice sickles all the time. I'v noticed my dad and brothers are the same way. I dress in layers in the winter to stay warm. Drinking hot tea helps warm me up too.
susiefleshner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #9  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
Very normal. It gets a bit better after awhile at maintenance.
Yup! Whenever I'm at a deficit I'm freezing. Maintenance lets me tolerate the cold a bit more, but I haven't been able to tolerate it the way I used to
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #10  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

I was always this way, no matter my weight, until I went through menopause. Now I'm always warm, wearing short sleeves in winter, etc. Really out of character for me, LOL
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #11  

It is a bit unique for your case, and i am not able to figure out exactly where the problem is I advise that you seek for an explanation from a physician. You can also try supplements which increase the metabolic rate such as Raspberry ketones.
Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #12  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Ah ha! So that's what it is...Ever since I started losing weight three weeks ago it feels like I can't regulate my body temperature! My hands and feet are always cold.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #13  
Meow

S/C/G: HW: 285+ / tracker

Height: 5'4"ish

I'm so glad someone asked this. I live in NYC and get this and my hands turn blue just after walking a few blocks to the store. This was last month, it's even colder now.
bugsiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

I've been freezing since I started trying to lose weight, so it must be related to my caloric deficit.

If you were cold like that before you started losing weight, it must be something else, though I'm not sure what.
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #15  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

I think the only times I've ever been warm are: while pregnant (gosh, that was the best winter of my life!), when it's 90+, and for a little while after long workouts. Capsaicin cream is good for keeping cold fingers going on the keyboard - look in the arthritis section of the pharmacy with the painkillers. I also find that crazy-spicy foods are very warming. Other than that ... I drink a huge amount of teas!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote