Old 01-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #1  

Default New to IP. Having a major hard time with veggies

Hello everyone! I'm in my 3rd week of Ideal Protein diet. Lost 5lbs my first week and 3.6 my 2nd. I do chocolate shakes twice a day and an omelet once a day. I add my onion and mushrooms into my omelet at lunch and then supper I am browning ground beef or turkey with mushrooms, onions and yellow bell pepper and eating it over lettuce. If I'm out of mushrooms I will add spinach into my lettuce. Here's my problem... I loath most veggies. The exception being corn, carrots, peas, beans. Basically the stuff I can't have. I've tried roasting them, grilling them, boiling them. I'm going to try to purée them and mix them in in with meat and make a "loaf". Does anyone else have this issue??? I know veggies are an important part of this diet so I've got to figure out some way to get them down!!!
3xsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #2  
Started IP on 10/2/2012

S/C/G: 166.2/108/105

Height: 5'2.5"

Hi 3xsMom,

According to IP, you cannot have onions unless they are raw. Heating them changes the chemical makeup...making them sweet - this is sugar, which we cannot have.

I hear you, though. Before IP, I like only the veggies you listed. However, after being on IP for a while, my tastebuds changed (for lack of a better term).

I can now eat broccoli without gagging (they are actually quite tasty).

I would suggest getting Walden Farms dressings to top lettuce. I buy mine in bulk from Costco.
ALM2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #3  

Thanks for telling me!!! My coach told me I could grill them or put them in my food as long as I didn't sauté them until they turned brown! Ugh! As far as the WF stuff goes. I love the BBQ sauce and that's about it that I've tried. The Mayo, Ranch, Bcn Ranch and honey Dijon dressing tasted horrible to me. I am a very very picky eater. I have a problem with textures. Which is probably the reason I'm trying to lose weight!!
Old 01-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/181/169

Height: 5'5

Ugh- I feel ya! I basically eat broccoli, cauliflower, onion, pickles, green beans & brussels sprouts. Have you tried a little olive oil with some seasoning salt and bake them? I never had but I got experimental when I started IP. I was also told the same thing you were re: onion. Best of luck! Oh also, I don't have the recommended lettuce. My coach said that was fine as long as I was still consuming veggies.

Last edited by Ilovesugar; 01-25-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Ilovesugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/218/150

Height: 5'7"

Have you guys thought about juicing? I'm not familiar with IP, but you can mask anything in fruit juice. It usually tastes good too.
Lacyt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 224/211/140

Height: 5'6"

I also found that adding some hot sauce helps. I mix the hot sauce and the WF Ranch to give it a little more flavor and a kick. It works as a decent dip.
jlnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #7  

I will definitely try to add things to the dressing to see if I can get a good taste! The mayo tasted very powdery. Maybe it was just the jar I got.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #8  
IP start: 21 October 2012

S/C/G: 190.6/135.4/140

Are you mixing your own shakes or using the RTD beverages? If you are mixing your own shakes you can add 1C spinach to each one. It will affect the color of the drink, but you won't be able to taste the spinach. A lot of people also add a cup of coffee along with the spinach. Directions:

To a blender add:
1C water
1C ice (I use cubes, not crushed)
1C spinach (loose to moderately packed)
IP drink or pudding mix (or alternative brand, whatever you're using)

Blend until smooth.
pocahontas812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacyt74 View Post
Have you guys thought about juicing? I'm not familiar with IP, but you can mask anything in fruit juice. It usually tastes good too.
No juicing on IP. We need the fiber.
And no fruit at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas812 View Post
Are you mixing your own shakes or using the RTD beverages? If you are mixing your own shakes you can add 1C spinach to each one. It will affect the color of the drink, but you won't be able to taste the spinach. A lot of people also add a cup of coffee along with the spinach. Directions:

To a blender add:
1C water
1C ice (I use cubes, not crushed)
1C spinach (loose to moderately packed)
IP drink or pudding mix (or alternative brand, whatever you're using)

Blend until smooth.
You can even do this with a RTD. Just plunk it in the blender with the spinach & Ice. You honestly can't taste the spinach. I prefer decaf coffee to water to make mine! (and I use coffee ice cubes, too).
It turns an ugly greenish brown but tastes good! I preferred to use dark chocolate

Last edited by lisa32989; 01-25-2013 at 02:19 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 282/268/165

Coffee and spinach? Now that's a new combination! I think it's easier to stay on plan if you mix things up. If you are eating the same things everyday, you are bound to get bored. My clinic allows you to trade-in IP foods, if you have something you don't like. The wildberry yogurt drink is awesome. I just had it today for the first time. I know what you mean about texture. I had the peach mango drink and literally could not finish it. Grainy..ugh! As for the veggies, if you get 1 cup in your omlet, you only have 3 to go. What about canned green beans (only 2x a week) or sauerkraut with your meat (like a pork chop) at night? Do you not eat the salads? I chop up at least a cup of veggies for my salad. I make homemade salad dresing. It's so easy, and there are tons of salad dressing recipes out there. Just don't add sugar and don't go crazy using it. That's how I get my olive oil in. I've never been crazy about "diet" foods because I feel they are full of chemicals and flavorings and not "real" food. I'd rather eat my own dressing knowing what went in it. And it helps elminate boredom with the salad. If you can find a salad dressing recipe you like (there are many) maybe that would help you to eat your veggies in a salad or raw? Good luck to you. I'm on day 5 too. Try and mix things up (literally, and figuratively...Ha!).
cjennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 453/451/190

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacyt74 View Post
You're right, but fruit juice is forbidden on IP
PrettyCreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #12  
Started IP 4/23/12

S/C/G: 232/129/132

Height: 5'3"

Rhubarb is a veggie and very tasty and satisfied my fruit craving. I microwave 2 cups with 2 T. WF strawberry syrup add some cinnamon and eat it warm or add packet of knox gelatin and 3/4 cup of water dissolved first, put in the frig and have rhubarb jello. I have also mixed the warm with a packet of oatmeal too.
Beck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I love rhubarb, too! I have it most nights as my 'dessert.'
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 216/209.6/180

Height: 5'9

I am on a jicama kick. Just had som on my salad raw. It's great, very mild turnip flavouring in background and apple taste (to me anyway). Nice crunch like an apple. And to whoever recommended lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper for dressing, I love it. Thanks! Thought it would be boring, but it really does complement all the veggies so well. Added some fennel seed too. Yum.

Last edited by ladylunk; 01-25-2013 at 03:30 PM.
ladylunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Default Raw Bok Choy...

IS amazing and beats celery!!!
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote