Old 01-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 167/152/145

Height: 5'4

Default Newbie with Questions

Hey Everyone! These boards are great and I'm excited y'all have so many amazing ideas and information. I am not buying the Ideal Protein diet but a Dr. told me to do the trantiendiet.com... which is pretty much Ideal Protein without buying all the products. I just started and am in Phase I, mostly following Protocol II.

I was wondering if someone can tell me what the percentages of carbs, protein and fat should be for this diet? i feel like I'm taking in so much more fat and it seems like 50% of my intake is fat. I tend to keep track of my intake through myfitnesspal and see that the my fat is normal but higher than I'm used too.

Also, are we allowed to drink diet drinks? Every now and then I like to have one but wanted to double check before I indulge.

Also, are nuts allowed? I hear they aren't but wanted to verify.

Thanks for any help you can provide and I apolgize if these are dumb questions!! Hope you all have a wonderful day!!
DontGiveUp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Calories matter.

Nuts have calories, diet soda does not.

I don't know enough about alternatives to help you beyond this but I do know one of the points of following the IP diet is so you don't need to track macros.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #3  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontGiveUp17 View Post
Hey Everyone! These boards are great and I'm excited y'all have so many amazing ideas and information. I am not buying the Ideal Protein diet but a Dr. told me to do the trantiendiet.com... which is pretty much Ideal Protein without buying all the products. I just started and am in Phase I, mostly following Protocol II.

I was wondering if someone can tell me what the percentages of carbs, protein and fat should be for this diet? i feel like I'm taking in so much more fat and it seems like 50% of my intake is fat. I tend to keep track of my intake through myfitnesspal and see that the my fat is normal but higher than I'm used too.

Also, are we allowed to drink diet drinks? Every now and then I like to have one but wanted to double check before I indulge.

Also, are nuts allowed? I hear they aren't but wanted to verify.

Thanks for any help you can provide and I apolgize if these are dumb questions!! Hope you all have a wonderful day!!
Hi and welcome!

There isn't a set percentage for protein/fat/carbs in Tran's diet - if you follow the portions you will be on track. If you are not purchasing Ideal Protein products, which meal replacements are you using? You DO want to avoid any Atkins products as those tend to be higher in fat. Shoot for replacements with under 200 calories, less than 30% total calories from fat, and under 17g net carbs.

Diet drinks are a broad spectrum - you may be able to have diet seltzer water if it's sweetened with Splenda/sucralose (aspartame is just bad news for your body across the board). Diet sodas are not allowed both because most use aspartame, and because the phosphates used as preservative can throw the acid/alkali balance in your guts off.

I can't speak for Tran's diet, but on Ideal Protein nuts are not allowed.

Hope that helps a bit!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 167/152/145

Height: 5'4

Thank you both for the response! I'm so used to watching and tracking my calorie intake, it's just habit. HOwever, I always come under my 1200 calorie goal, but I just noticed my fat is a little high and I imagine that isn't great for your heart!
I may buy some IP products, but my goal is to change the way I eat, through the things I already eat. I'm trying to train myself from the very start. Plus, I have to cook for my hubby and hungry children, so I want to try and incorporate a good meal on the table without the assistance of packets etc. However, I do love that the IP packets seem so easy!

As for alternatives, for shakes I use several different types of protein flavors in Syntha6, Syntha6 Isolate and Gold Standard 100% Whey. Some of the Syntha 6's can have a little higher carbs in them and I imagine that's why they taste so yummy, but fats don't seem too high. I did have some of the Atkins shakes, and do see that they are higher in fat, so I'll be sure to keep those away. And Tran Tien is the person that Ideal Protein was founded upon, so like Ideal Protein, no nuts.. but I just wondered why. I imagine it's due to the fat as well but it's normally so easy for me to grab a little handful in the morning while I'm getting everything ready for my boys to go to school. Ugh! I guess I'll just have to make sure I have a protein shake ready.

Other than that, I'm just eating the salads, veggies, meats and seafood like it says. I have Insulin Resistance, so I tend to want to stuff my face at night due to the cravings but with this diet it is much better, but I still feel the need to stuff my face at times. I guess at least its with salad and not chocolate. LOL! I was wondering what things y'all put on your salad other than olive oil and vinegar or any oil. I'm not the biggest fan of the walden farm's dressing but if I spice them up with some seasoning, I normally can take them. (I'm from New Orleans so everything I eat has spice. ha!) I was just wondering if y'all had any other ideas of what to put on salads. I love salsa, but since it has tomato in it I know they want us to keep that to a minimum right now. Again, thanks so much for the help! Y'all rock!!
DontGiveUp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 219/141/130

Height: 5'1''

Salads-I use either a tsp of evoo + sea salt or WF sesame ginger dressing (which is the best of their dressings in my opinion).

We have IP alternative threads on here with great info for you to read through Go through the forum and I think all your questions should be answered. Welcome and Good luck to you!!!
WorldTraveleronIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 144/138.0/118

Height: 5'0"

Angry Hair Loss, What should I do/ I really need help.

Hi everyone,

My name is Lexi, I am 32 years old. I have been on Ideal rotein for 8 weeks in my own, no coach. I but the products and supplements online, many thanks t all f you on ths website. I have been reading allot of your posts and they have helped me tremendously I have recently run into a major issue. I have been losing tons of hair this past week, of whoch i didnt have allot of to begin with. I am really depressed about this. My starting weight was 154lbs, i am down to 131 lbs, and in Phase I. I want to lose 10 more lbs due to the fact that I am only 5 foot 2 inches. My dilemma is, should i continue to do Phase I even though im losing hair, will I lose more? I have my brothers wedding in a month and i dint want to be balding......or do I go to Phase 2?
Or do I just start eating a regular 1200 calorie diet and exercise program, will I gain weight back if I start my own diet and exercise program from Phase I. I am pretty confused and upset. I knew this diet was a really bad idea and now i know why My body has not reacted well to this from the beginning.
Please help......Your thoughts John P? You seem like you know what you are talking about concerning IP.
LexiChanel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:57 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiChanel1 View Post
Hi everyone,

My name is Lexi, I am 32 years old. I have been on Ideal rotein for 8 weeks in my own, no coach. I but the products and supplements online, many thanks t all f you on ths website. I have been reading allot of your posts and they have helped me tremendously I have recently run into a major issue. I have been losing tons of hair this past week, of whoch i didnt have allot of to begin with. I am really depressed about this. My starting weight was 154lbs, i am down to 131 lbs, and in Phase I. I want to lose 10 more lbs due to the fact that I am only 5 foot 2 inches. My dilemma is, should i continue to do Phase I even though im losing hair, will I lose more? I have my brothers wedding in a month and i dint want to be balding......or do I go to Phase 2?
Or do I just start eating a regular 1200 calorie diet and exercise program, will I gain weight back if I start my own diet and exercise program from Phase I. I am pretty confused and upset. I knew this diet was a really bad idea and now i know why My body has not reacted well to this from the beginning.
Please help......Your thoughts John P? You seem like you know what you are talking about concerning IP.
Lexi, That happened to me in week 2 and 3. I was told it was because I was not eating any beef and I needed to add a B12 supplement. It took about a week to work.
LilyR32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:41 PM   #8  

Lexi
John B actually isn't an IP expert but he DOES know PSMF plans and IP is a commercially available one.

With ANY very low calorie plan, there is a chance you can experience hair loss. Just google hair loss low calorie diet and you can learn the "whys" about this.

What you choose to do about it is up to you. Some people get it really severely and it typically starts somewhere in months 2-5. The plan that John can tell you about has planned breaks, which may be helpful with people having intolerable symptoms
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:07 PM   #9  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Tran Tien's diet IS Ideal Protein. Here is the blurb from the IP page:-

Quote:
The Ideal Protein Weight Loss Method is a medically designed protocol containing 2 key components – weight loss and a healthier lifestyle education to assist you in maintaining your results after dieting. Our protocol has evolved for over 20 years, but was originally developed over 2 decades ago by Dr. Tran Tien Chanh who focused his career and research on nutrition with a particular emphasis on the treatment of obesity and obesity related issues.
So the principles are the same. Follow the alternatives route or build a percentage based diet of nutritious carbs/healthy fats/proteins. Maintenance would be the latter and loss the former.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote