Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #1  

Question Why is spinning so good for weight loss?

I read somewhere (think it was here!) that spinning is one of the best exercises for burning calories. Why is this? Why does spinning have an edge over say, running or step aerobics?
Crunchy Pip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I really think it depends on how much effort you put into it, honestly. I think, for me, that running and step aerobics give me more PUSH than spinning.

But maybe that's just me - I don't tend to like spinning (find the repetitiveness of it boring).
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #3  

I agree with everything you've said.

I love step aerobics as the instructor mixes it up and keeps you guessing. Much more enjoyable than sitting and standing on a stationary bike.

Hmmm perhaps spinning's superiority is due to HIIT?
Crunchy Pip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #4  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I like spinning and sure it's a great way to burn calories, but there is nothing about it that makes it superior to the numerous other workouts that you can do... It's "superiority" would come from the fact that it would offer you sport specific training if you were a cyclist or triathlete preparing for a bike race or a cycling event or the bike leg of a triathlon...

If you love spinning classes great... But if you don't and you don't need the sport specific benefits that they could offer, then there are a lot of other type workouts that you could do that would be far superior, because you would enjoy them more...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 01-24-2013 at 04:32 PM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I love spinning--I've been doing it for 7 years or so. Like any other exercise though, it won't make you lose weight unless you watch what you eat.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #6  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

ok...
the reason spinning is often recommended for weight loss/general fitness is because it is LOW IMPACT, and at the same time, higher intensity.

Its great (generally) for more overweight individuals who cant, or shouldnt be running because of the pressure and impact on joints/knees.
It is also great because you can go for an hour class, full of every level of fitness, and get a workout thats appropriate for YOU, because you control the resistaance dial, and you control the speed. All the claims out there that it burns so many more cals than other workouts are complete nonsense. You get what you put into it, for sure.
Alot of people trying to lose weight have no business trying to run at the same time. They arent eating enough calories to facilitate any recovery, and youre body needs a LOT of recovery when youre running, especially when youre running in a caloric deficit, and even MORE SO when youre running in a deficit AND over weight.

One last thing, spin is not an HIIT workout, but it is generally a lot of INTERVALS.
99.9999% of people who claim to be doing HIIT are in fact NOT dong HIIT. And thats a good thing, because most people have no business doing it. ESPECIALLY when they are in a deficit, trying t lose fat. '
and thats FINE. regular intervals are perfectly appropriate, and in fact what the majority of people are really doing. Just because an interval is hard, doesnt make it HIIT. it makes it an INTERVAL, lol

HIIT workouts dont last for 45 minutes, or an hour, or even 30 minutes. its 10-12 minutes, maybe 15, because its so INTENSE, theres no way you could possibly go any longer than that.
Sorry. Rant over. One of the few semantics that actually gets under my skin
-- i cuold care less, for instance, about the "pound of fat weighs more than pound of muscle" nonsense, lol
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote