Old 01-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 169/130/110

Height: 5' 0"

Default 8 pounds in 5 months! REALLY! :(

OK so frustration level is hitting an all time high. From April to August I lost a minimum of 6 pounds per month. Starting in October thru the end of December I lost a pound in December and that was my biggest month. November I neither gained nor lost. My one year of being on IP is the beginning of May. I should have hit goal by the end of December at the very latest.
I was on phase one until roughly Thanksgiving time. Prior to that I tried the process my coach suggested- 4 IP products a day, required veggies and no meat protein for two weeks. This did not really work either. I am at a total of 40 lbs lost and i have been on the program 8 months. I am going to stick it out for a year and then I am done! I lost more weight doing low fat and walking everyday.
pekelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #2  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Some people are more sensitive and more prone to hormonal reactions and metabolic adaptations than others, and it sounds like you are one of the lucky ones (join the club)

Youve been on a very low cal/low carb diet for 8 months and have pretty much completely stalled the past few months. Im afraid to say, the problem is your body has adapted to the amount of calories youre giving it, and fat loss is pretty much not going to happen for you.

Other people will chime in and say things like "change your workout routine, walk more, workout less, try interval training, stop working out all together"
Other people will say, "try changing your food choices, stop eating meat, only eat fish, add some more fat, switch from lettuce to spinach" etc, etc

Its not going to make any significant difference for you, im afraid.
On IP you eat approx 800-1000 cals/ day, right?
Youve been at it 8 months. Your body has, sadly learned to adapt to function off off 1000 cals/day. Iyoure not creating a deficit anymore, and your body is probably severly stressed out.

Metabolic adaptation occurs in many, sneaky, often unnoticed ways.
-Your resting HR will be lower (less cals are needed to beat more slowly)
-Your body temperature has probably dropped a degree or 2 (are you often cold?)
-Your hair/nails arent growing as well, possibly your hair is even falling out a little?
-digestion slows down (are you more sensitive to foods you werent sensitive to before? Bloating, diarreah, constipation and basic nutrient absorption in the intestines)
\-Reproduction may have completely shut down (are you still getting your period? is it as regular as before? does it come more often, less often, lighter, all those things)

Basically, simply, your body does not need to dip into fat stores anymore to make up the energy deficit. It is taking calories away from other, non-esential functioins to make up the difference in the deficit.

There are alot of things you can do to kind of reset your body, and get it back up to optimal functioning, but it ALL involves eating carbohydrates, eating ABOVE maintenance, and GAINING weight back. On purpose.

Google Leigh Peele, the Metabolic REPAIR Manual, and Metabolic Adaptation for more info on this subject matter, etc.....

Im afraid if you continue to eat so little with so few carbs, your just going to keep spinning your wheels.
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #3  

mkroyer
Wow you are extremely knowledgeable! You have given me a lot to think about. Eating carbs....i guess i could try that...if i remember how haha
I did take a few days off the program in the fall thinking that would shock my body but nothing happened. I think i gained 2 lbs and that was it. I will definately try some of your ideas and let you know how it goes!!

thanks bunches!!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #4  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

you need more than a few days..... we're talking more than a month. and 10-15 pounds is not unheard of doing a training/deit break.

But really, look up those topics i posted.. get as much specific info as you can. there is absolutely a science to doing a re-feed correctly, especially with metabolic/hormonal issues. There are protocols. Of course, you cant go wrong with just eating 2000-3000 cals a day of high carb/high sugar foods for a month.

Ive been working on undoing all the damage i did with low cal/low carb diets.... ive been at it for about 3 months or so, of eating at around my maintence, high carb diet, etc. Ive gained somewhere between 10-15 pounds. But its ok. ive been doing ALOT of heavy, heavy strength training, and i KNOW a good 5+ pounds is muscle. I also know that when i am ready to dive back into the deficit, my metabolism will be much recovered ( i dont know that it EVER fully recovers from the level of stress i was putting it under
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #5  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

MK knows her stuff for sure.

That said - I'm not convinced there is any kind of metabolic damage done here. That usually is only the case when a person is low calorie/low carb AND has over done exercise for an extended period. If you've not been doing much exercise my thought would be that as a very small person your energy needs are not very high and that has combined with metabolic adaptation to stall you out.

My point is - I don't know that you need to do anything fancy. Take a diet break for a couple weeks - and consider resuming phase 1 - but also consider 1 less packet a day and/or less than 8 oz of meat a day.

One thing that makes no sense about the IP diet is there is no differentiation between a 6'5" male and a 5'0" female. The protein requirements of these two people are vastly different. If you look at standard PSMF protocols, a person your size would be eating less protein (and less calories) than someone my size.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #6  
IP Start date 12/18/12

S/C/G: 228.4/171/165

Height: 5 ft 10 inches

I was going to ask if you had possibly reached a very healthy weight for you and that your body is uninterested in losing more? This happens to me. I kind of know that my body is going to be very satisfied being twenty pounds heavier than I want it to be.
BeccaGrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #7  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

pekelvr, what worked for me a couple of months ago when I stalled for a few weeks was to temporarily go to Phase 3. I did that for a week, and then when I returned to P1 my weight started coming off again. I know that the coaches sometimes recommend this for weight stalls. If you've come across Wuv's posts here, she did that too. And it worked for her too. Good luck.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

If it isn't working for you than it may be time to move on to something that is tried and true to you. If you were able to lose on a low fat diet incorporated with physical exercise than you may want to make that change. Perhaps your body has done all it can on IP. You've done so well and have a good understanding of what it takes to lose and will most likely have success doing it another way. You just don't want to get burned out trying on this and then give up all together (even though you don't sound like you'll do that...) Good luck with whatever method of weight loss you choose!!!
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #9  

A diet break is a great idea! i remember others hitting a stall and took a break, came back and had success again!!! Give that a try! Smart thinking JohN!
Old 01-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #10  
started IP oct. 09 2012

S/C/G: 199.8/163/150

My coach talked about putting me on the alternative plan (for diabetics) to give myself a "restart"... something to think about...
guil28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #11  

Wow all great suggestions! Now i need to figure out which one to try first! Maybe I will try going to ph3 and then back to ph1. Moving to ph2 sure didn't help.
If I don't have success with changing phases then I think it will definately be time for a break! keep the sugesstions coming! I am willing to try just about anything at this point. I should shed another 15 to 20 before i can call it good so even tho I have lost 40 so far I am still not where I need to be. Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your input
Old 01-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #12  

what theyve said about diet break is right on. Dieting long term drops the metablism and body temp (body temp is a direct indicator of metabolic function and thyroid), Also leptin levels drop and this hormone is responsible for hunger control and fat loss. You need carbs to raise the leptin back up which is why people sometimes see a bigger loss of new weight after a slip up. if you take your body temp at 3pm (when it is meant to peak at 98.6 you may find things are lower than they should be- 90% of Americans have lower than normal temps). A way i have found to maintain weight while eating what I want and working on raising temps is to eat what you want of protein carbs and fat at meals but have 6 hours between meals. it sounds hard now but it actually is very easy once the body gets adapted and eating like this corrects leptin resistance and insulin resistance because the liver has a chance to detox fatty acids (which are only burned in the absence of food) at the 3 hour mark. anyway as someone who was always gaining I ws stunned how steady my weight was when i did this (and i did it all of december and had loads of carbs sugar etc) It was the diet break my body needed to start ideal protein because I had been dieting most of last year and was burnt out.
cnelson316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekelvr View Post
Wow all great suggestions! Now i need to figure out which one to try first! Maybe I will try going to ph3 and then back to ph1. Moving to ph2 sure didn't help.
If I don't have success with changing phases then I think it will definately be time for a break! keep the sugesstions coming! I am willing to try just about anything at this point. I should shed another 15 to 20 before i can call it good so even tho I have lost 40 so far I am still not where I need to be. Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your input
Find Wuv on here. She's plateaued and change did some things to kick start her loses again...including moving to P3 (I think) and then back to P1...Email her. She's also a coach and will give you true and tried "techniques" of changing it up!!! You can do it!! There's always a solution to a problem! Rock on!!!

Keep going!!!
Old 01-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #14  
Kara - Restart 8/23/2013

S/C/G: 277.4/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

I only know that someone I know stalled and the day after weigh in they ate carbs (like a subway sandwich) and it toally helped and got him going again after 2 weeks.
Calisto is offline   Reply With Quote