Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #1  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Default Dieting well on vacation. Yes or no?

I recently jumped back on to the weight loss wagon after taking several months off (New full time job with full time school took a lot out of me). Anyways, I've been doing great. However, in 2 weeks I will be going to Mardi Gras in New Orleans with a friend of mine. I am debating on if I should watch what I eat down there and stick to the healthier options, or if I should just eat what I want, try the local cuisine and not worry about calories. I live in a very different environment that has very different foods, so part of me feels like I will be missing out on a chance to try a bunch of new stuff if I am sticking to a diet. If it was a vacation to somewhere that had mostly the same stuff, I would not care. However, as I said, the food is very different from where I live. It could be years until I am down there again. I will be there for 6 days.

What is your opinion?

Last edited by Candeka; 01-22-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Part of travel is trying the cuisine - so try the food. Perhaps you can watch things on how many drinks you have and having bites of dessert instead of whole desserts, but don't forego trying the cuisine!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #3  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Part of travel is trying the cuisine - so try the food. Perhaps you can watch things on how many drinks you have and having bites of dessert instead of whole desserts, but don't forego trying the cuisine!
yep, this.

And also, I know I'm usually so active on vacations walking around seeing and doing things, I can usually maintain or even drop a lb or two, as long as I don't go completely crazy with food. Enjoy, just don't use it as an excuse to go nuts. And if something isn't wonderful, don't bother to finish it.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #4  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Split the difference, maybe? Not every single meal or morsel has to be special or a license to go wild, but you can pick and choose instances to indulge in some regional specialties. Being mindful and choosy about it will probably make you appreciate it even more. So beignets with coffee one or two mornings, but not every morning, etc. A restrained lunch (well-chosen salad, lean protein, etc) if you know you're going someplace really awesome for dinner. I think retaining a feeling of being in control and deliberate in your food choices almost trumps the calorie aspect, in terms of staving off post-vacation regret and making it easier to settle back in when you return.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #5  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Yeah we are doing walking tours every single day we are there. Those run at least 2 hours each so I will be moving a lot. I never thought of that! Thanks!
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #6  

^^^ What they said!!!

The good thing about New Orleans is you can have your coffee and beignet (YUM!) for breakfast and then walk all around the city and burn it off.

I love New Orleans, have so much fun!!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #7  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

U can make healthier choices, I find that when I eat unhealthy now I get really tired. If that happens to u, u don't wanna be too tired on vacation. If u r going to be drinking have diet coke and rum, or diet coke and vodka. A few regular drinks can blow an entire days worth of cals. Have fun and that doesn't have to mean over eating.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #8  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I say eat what looks good/sounds good! Especially in a place like that, the food is part of the experience! Just enjoy yourself.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #9  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I find it much easier to stay on plan during vacation or be entirely off. Partly on/off doesn't work well for me. So I'd fit some of the local food into your diet, but not break it for the trip.

That's how far too many folks on these boards and elsewhere have ended up with massive regains. It began with a vacation or birthday and they never did get back on track. I find it so much easier to never go off to begin with, after having tried it every which way the past few years
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 230/152/110

Height: 5'1½''

Personally I travel way too rarely to waste all my time away 'dieting'. Make wise choices when you can but don't beat yourself up over eating that piece of bread or for ordering a pizza.
out from under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #11  
Meow

S/C/G: HW: 285+ / tracker

Height: 5'4"ish

Some people can get disappointed when gaining and have trouble getting back on track, so they should set limits. Others are ready to take a break and continue losing weight when that break is over. Just think about how you'd feel if you came back say 10 lb heavier. I'd say eat as much calories (estimate) as you eat normally or not much more. You can eat well and enjoy the place without having to eat too much. Six days is enough time to adjust to new bad habits.
bugsiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #12  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Eat what you want.

Maybe you don't actually want to eat and drink as much as you think you do?

(Or maybe you do, in which case I would say pick your battles and think ahead. One beignet doesn't have to turn into five just because you're there, stuff like that)
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 160/123/???

Height: 5'7

6 days is no time at all in the scheme of things. I say make a good plan for when you get back, but have a good time while you're gone.
vabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 230/204/140

Height: 5'

Maybe you could watch what you eat for things like breakfast lunch and snack and then enjoy a good dinner each night. I hope you have lots of fun, New Orleans is amazing. Make sure to visit the Gumbo Shop and the French market!
Lindsayanne716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #15  
babybat

Height: 5'7

go for it, but keep away from a lot of fried food and use PORTION control
Babybat is offline   Reply With Quote