Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-21-2013, 11:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: tick'

Height: 5'8

Default Late night workout or nah ? Help!

I started the 30 day shred on friday. I did friday, saturday and sunday just fine and actually the soreness has subsided.

My issue now is currently it's 11:20pm where I live. I haven't done the shred today or any form of exercise really. Ate within my budget and all. I had a long day full of a bunch of errands and now is when the time would fit in. My issue is, I've heard it's not good workout late at night. But also, I refuse to do a strenuous workout and not eat anything after. Normally I have my whey protein shake with 1 cup of chocolate almond milk and 1 cup of water.

I've also cut out eating after 8 pm. So I'm at a crossroad.

Do I work out which would entail having my protein shake (which is 110 cals, low in carbs, sugar and fat) at midnight.

Or skip the workout, have my usual green tea and call it a day ?

Mind you, I usually go to bed around 1 or 2 am. That's just how I work. So It's not like the workout would keep me up, I'd be up anyway. Just didnt know if my eating after 8 will make up the benefits of working out today.

Thanks !
Remington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Personally, if you have the energy, I would get your workout clothes on. I've heard repeatedly that it doesn't matter what time you eat your calories. (A late night rule against eating seems like a good idea to give a cut-off for the day. Perhaps you need a corallary to your rule that's it's ok to eat after 8 if it's a post-workout protein shake?). If you're tired, call it a day and feel no guilt!
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: tick'

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Forward View Post
Personally, if you have the energy, I would get your workout clothes on. I've heard repeatedly that it doesn't matter what time you eat your calories. (A late night rule against eating seems like a good idea to give a cut-off for the day. Perhaps you need a corallary to your rule that's it's ok to eat after 8 if it's a post-workout protein shake?). If you're tired, call it a day and feel no guilt!
That makes a lot of sense. I guess as long as I'm not filling my body with empty carbs and foods that are slightly less healthy, I should be okay.

Thanks !
Remington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:24 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

I finished my day's Shred workout at 11:55pm. I would never exercise if it absolutely had to be in the morning/afternoon/etc. If you are awake enough, and have the energy to do it without hurting yourself, go for it!
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:59 AM   #5  
Put good in, get good out

S/C/G: 290/283/200

Height: 5'10"

I honestly won't hurt you to take a day off. I know we beat ourselves up if we miss a day of working out, but it will give,your body time to restore and repair from the previous work out. Plus, the mix up in routine will keep your body guessing, which will further pent a plateau of weight loss.

With this day off, keep with your usual eating routines and caloric intake. Tomorrow, get back on that horse and work out.
Airycuh is offline   Reply With Quote