Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default PSFMs: Ideal Protein, Medifast, Optifast, Slimfast, HMR, MRC, Wonderslim...

I've just started a serious PSMF (I've been researching and experimenting for a couple months, but I've finally committed to a sincere full-time effort).

I read and post in many of the threads and forums regarding food plans that are (or can be) PSMFs such as those for Ideal Protein, Medifast, The Simple Diet, Nutrisystem, Optifast, Slimfast, Wonderslim, HMR...

I'm following The Simple Diet (from the book written by James Anderson and Nancy Gustovson) with a few very minor modifications (I do eat more bars than recommended, but I make sure that they fit the shake nutrition minimums, and I make many of my own meals and meal replacements).

I do post in The Simple Diet thread (thread title: Dr. Anderson's Simple Diet), but lately it hasn't been a very active one. I'm not sure if it's because the Simple Det PSMF is so simple that there's not much to talk about, or whether it's because there aren't enough of us yet to support an active thread.

There are so many PSMF plans on 3FC such as Medifast, most folks on Atkins induction or most other ketogenic diets, Ideal Protein, some Metabolic Research Center plans, HMR (Health Management Resources), The Simple Diet, Optifast, SlimFast, probably Nutrisystem, Rapid Fat Loss, The Dukan Diet... that I'm wondering whether a generic PSMF thread might be helpful, especially to those of us who don't fit well into the top three.

Right now, I read and post in several of the PSMF threads, as they're as close to what I am doing as I can get, and I wonder how many folks are like me - doing something similar but not exactly like... IP, The Simple Diet, HMR, Medifast, Optifast, Slimfast, or some other plan that fits the PSMF label)... Or how many folks following the listed plans would be willing to post in a generic PSMF to share the wisdom and experience they've gained from their PSMF plans.

What do you think? Would a generic PSMF thread be something anyone here would be interested in, or would you rather only or primarily post in your own plan's threads or forums?

If you're following a particular plan (which has it's own active threads and forums) What do you think of posts from people who are doing something like your plan, but not exactly. Do our posts belong in those forums too does it belong elsewhere.

I think (or maybe I'm just hoping) that there are more folks like me than I am seeing, and I'm just wondering if a generic PSMF thread might be something more folks would be interested in (both folks following popular PSMF's like IP and folks following less common and even obscure and self-created plans).

I know that even the term PSMF is in the eye of the beholder, but I just don't know where we non-name plan followers would be most welcome and where our comments and questions would be most helpful to one another and to other PSMFers whether or not they're following a named plan.

Any thoughts or ideas?
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #2  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Hi Kaplods,

I saw your other post in the IP forum. I am in the same boat as you. I am pretty much doing my own thing and my diet plan seems to be very much like yours. I started out doing a plan from "Quick Weight Loss Center" -- which is very similar to LA Weight Loss. But I modified my plan to be less carb and higher protein. I still comment in the Quick Weight Loss thread, but there aren't many active people there... and I don't know if I really fit there anymore. Like you, I also post in the IP threads, but I don't really fit there either. I am glad you started this thread. I'm sure there are many other people out there who are following this sort of plan -- or would like to - and want support.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #3  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I recently read the Rapid Fat Loss Handbook and tried a one week experiment with that PSMF, sort of as a "dry run" to see if it was something that could work for me... I wound up losing 5 lbs which I've been able to maintain even though I haven't been sticking with any real "diet" plan these last few weeks... Also I wasn't that strict with my PSMF to begin with, so I really would like to try it for 2 weeks and follow it more strictly to see what sort of results I get...

Look forward to hearing what others are doing when it comes to PSMF's...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:42 AM   #4  

Hi,
What does PSMF stand for?
This new thread is a good idea.
I am all over the place with different plans and have not found the pone for me yet.
I like the Simple Diet but the sodium is not working for me. I tried making my own but it seemed hard to do.

Sheridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

PSMF - protein sparing modified fast. Essentially any plan that is low-enough in calories to produce good weight loss rates, while high enough in protein to protect against muscle loss during dieting.

There are a few lower sodium frozen meal options. Kashi and Healthy Request and some of the Lean Cuisine line aren't too bad.

Also, you don't have to make your dinners from scratch. There are a lot of ready-to-eat foods that fit into the calorie, fat, and protein requirements (such as canned tuna and lean meats).

If you use a calorie counting website, you can choose 140 to 300 calories of lean protein as your meal (so 140 to 300 calories of rotisserie chicken breast or any lean meat would count as your ready-to-eat meal, and you could then add your veggies).

Lean deli meats would work (though some are pretty salty, there are reduced sodium options at least for turkey and chicken).

A can of tuna and some low-fat mayo or dressing actually fits the guidelines for a "shake" so I will often use a can of tuna as my "shake".

Yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, (well usually 1 egg with a couple of egg whites - makes a good egg salad)... there are a lot of foods that you can use (or tweak such as the eggs) to fit the guidelines.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 217

I would love to hear about options to the Ideal Protein plan that are less expensive and yet produce the same rapid results while saving the muscle.
Take Care of You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 265/254/150

Height: 5'5

Very interesting.
Shero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 159/158/135

Height: 5' 6.5"

Thanks kaplods. Found your post very informative and now have a better understanding of how my eating plan works. (just started MF recently)
Gkm130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 168/162/125

Height: 5'5"

I just started a PSFM and think a generic PSFM topic is a great idea. Was a decision made to do so? Not sure how all this works with forums, etc. New to posting. Mine is Physician Weight Loss.
Carolina1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:55 AM   #10  

I like some of you am actually on my own plan. i've tried a lot of plans, but I could never stay consistent enough with having so much other stuff to do and losing track. Besides that, there was no respect in my house as far as food goes so whether the kids know it's mine or not, they are just going to fix whatever they see and eat it with no regards, lol. I guess that's my fault for raising them saying anything in the kitchen is for anyone to eat... now I think that's' embedded, lol.
FattyFatFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 180/153.5/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Care of You View Post
I would love to hear about options to the Ideal Protein plan that are less expensive and yet produce the same rapid results while saving the muscle.
Follow the IP protocol, but use alternative products. Nashua Nutrition has many products to choose from at about 60% the cost of IP foods.
SanB608 is offline   Reply With Quote