Old 01-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/153.5/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Not Sleeping well

Since starting IP (I am now in my second week), I am having a difficult time falling/staying asleep. My coach says this is odd. Most people rave about how much better they are sleeping. I have since moved my dinner supplements (which include the multi-vitamin) up to lunch time hoping that was the culprit.

My coach says its imperative to get at least 6 hrs. of uninterrupted sleep to stay in ketosis.

Any suggestions?
SanB608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #2  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanB608 View Post
Since starting IP (I am now in my second week), I am having a difficult time falling/staying asleep. My coach says this is odd. Most people rave about how much better they are sleeping. I have since moved my dinner supplements (which include the multi-vitamin) up to lunch time hoping that was the culprit.

My coach says its imperative to get at least 6 hrs. of uninterrupted sleep to stay in ketosis.

Any suggestions?
Sorry, I don't have any specific suggestions for falling asleep, etc., but your post makes me wonder about something related. Excuse me if it's TMI. LOL. I've been at this for months, and with all the water we are required to drink each day I still have to get up at least 3x/night to pee. Given these brief 'interruptions' (I do promptly fall back asleep each time) I haven't had 6 hrs of uninterrupted sleep in months. Meanwhile, I've lost 55 lbs (albeit more slowly than a lot of others here) so the process is working. In view of your coach's comments, I'm wondering now if my experience is unusual and will be interested in reading with others have to say.

Last edited by evepet; 01-21-2013 at 11:53 AM.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #3  

Thanks evepet. The coach did say that several trips to the bathroom at night is expected and shouldn't be a problem as long and you fall back to sleep. I am not able to fall right back to sleep. Since moving my supplements up in the day, I don't seem to be watching the clock as I had, but I do know I am tossing and turning. She also told me that it could be hormonal since estrogen is trapped in my fat and as I release the fat, I in turn, would be releasing estrogen which might throw me into an in-balance.

I only lost 5.2 lbs and 2.24 inches in my first week. I was a little disappointed.

Hopefully this will work itself out this week.

Good Luck in your continued success!
Old 01-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #4  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Thanks evepet. The coach did say that several trips to the bathroom at night is expected and shouldn't be a problem as long and you fall back to sleep. I am not able to fall right back to sleep. Since moving my supplements up in the day, I don't seem to be watching the clock as I had, but I do know I am tossing and turning. She also told me that it could be hormonal since estrogen is trapped in my fat and as I release the fat, I in turn, would be releasing estrogen which might throw me into an in-balance.

I only lost 5.2 lbs and 2.24 inches in my first week. I was a little disappointed.

5.2 lbs loss is excellent!
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

Quote:

5.2 pounds is AMAZING! You can't compare yourself to other folks when it comes to how quickly the pounds come off. "Only" is a four-letter word around here!

Re: trouble falling asleep...If you've never had this problem before, it may be the extra energy you are getting from being in ketosis. Or maybe you are stressed and don't know it? I go to bed late (usually 1 a.m.) and I don't fall asleep quickly, but that's the way I have always been. I do find, however, that I am sleeping more soundly and waking up feeling more refreshed than pre-IP. I would give yourself a while to see if the problem works itself out. If not, see your doctor.
LosingLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 272/264/160

Height: 5'4 1/2

I have read once or twice that ketosis can cause you to have trouble sleeping? Maybe research that theory. Could be this?
puglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #7  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

First of all, I think this is hogwash:

Quote:
Ask your coach for proof of that statement.

Also, since you're only in your second week, I'd give your body more time to adjust. My sleep patterns were a little whacky at first, but now I sleep like a baby (well, except for when I have to get up to go to the bathroom!). In general, I feel better rested than ever before in my life.
bubbleblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #8  

there is no truth to the fact that you have to get 6-8 hours sleep to stay in ketosis. She is mixing up her facts. The TRUTH is that if people sleep 6-8 straight they MAY put their bodies into a temporary ketosis - a short time but quickly come out of that when they eat bacon, eggs, toast, grits etc for breakfast!

Oh and you will start to sleep better soon (hopefully) but watch out for the dreams!!!!

Last edited by maezy1; 01-21-2013 at 05:07 PM.
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 219/141/130

Height: 5'1''

I'm not sleeping well either. I am hoping this and the vivid dreams will back off in a few weeks
WorldTraveleronIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:17 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTraveleronIP View Post
I'm not sleeping well either. I am hoping this and the vivid dreams will back off in a few weeks
At least I am not bothered with dreams.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:54 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 219/141/130

Height: 5'1''

What a coincidence...we are both up again! I went to sleep around 10:30pm and am up at 2:45am...did this last night as well. I'll be up for 2 hours then fall back asleep. Having to go to the bathroom wakes me up then I can't get back to sleep. I have lots of energy on IP and have no trouble falling asleep, I just can't stay asleep.

Time to read through threads
WorldTraveleronIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:56 AM   #12  
Reboot Jan 2018

Height: 5'7"

I'm in the same boat. I too have no problem falling asleep but wake up around 4am and that's about it for me. But honestly I don't mind the extra time to myself before my DH gets up.
Cheekyskeeter is offline   Reply With Quote