Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-21-2013, 01:39 AM   #1  
Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 295/sig/175

Height: 5'9

Default Have any of you given up sugar?

Like completely given it up? Or maybe cut it out of excess. I for one learned a lot about places where sugar can be sneaky. Bread, for instance, surprised me! Obviously you'd find it in candy but I was quite surprised to find it almost all sauces and condiments as well as in other strange places I wouldn't have expected.

I have been toying with the idea of giving up sugar just to see if it effects my cravings and urges to overeat and binge.

I attempted a low carb diet but haven't yet gotten that down. I figure giving up sugar could be the first step in trying out a low carb diet, since sugar is a carb in itself and, when it's present, tends to boost the carb count in a food item by quite a bit.

I'd love to hear your thoughts!
thewalrus0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

I'm glad you asked this since I'm interested in what people think about this too

I haven't given up sugar yet, but I do know I'm going to soon, but when it comes to sugar in sweets. That's my ultimate trigger food!! If I start out my day eating something sweet, entire day is down hill from there, even if it's cereal. So I definitely will cut it out, not sure if that's the best way to approach it, but knowing me I feel like I need to be a little harsh with myself until I get the ball rolling! Maybe once I see changes I'll be less likely to indulge?
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:21 AM   #3  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

I would say I have not eliminated it, but drastically reduced my intake. I gave up soda and don't really drink juice. It's all water for me. I used to always eat candy or chocolate. I don't really anymore. My only sugar is my cereal I love my morning cereal with almond milk. I still crave sweets. Walked into Walgreens today and told the clerk "man those gummy worms smell so good!" he replied with "u can smell that? I don't smell anything." I still eat fruit too, some days.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:21 AM   #4  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Yes. Sugar and starch in pretty much all forms. I will occasionally have some dark (75+%) chocolate or a half cup of blueberries, but that's it.

Best decision I ever made, and not nearly as hard to stick to as it seemed it would be. Been that way without any licks, bites, or off plan tastes since the middle of October, and never going back! No bread or other grains, no sugary fruits, starchy veggies, or refined sugar/grain products. I would like to add in the occasional bit of oatmeal down the road when I'm at goal, but even that is pretty unimportant to me. I love what I eat every day

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 01-21-2013 at 02:22 AM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #5  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I'm doing a low fat, low carb plan called the Dukan Diet. I have just the naturally occurring sugars and carbs in veggies and dairy, along with a small amt (1-2 oz) of oat bran (different than oatmeal). No sweets or starches. As Taryl said, once you get going with it, it really becomes a lot easier to stick with than it seems going in and the cravings really do go away.

Like many (most?) low carb plans, this is a phased plan and over time, I will add back in some fruits, whole grains and starches, maybe even the occasional sweer. But the good thing is that it's done gradually so I'll be able identify specific trigger foods and know to just eliminate them permanently.

Personally, I find it much easier to go cold turkey rather than simply cut back. There are a few rough days detoxing from sugars and starches but after that, the desire for them goes away and you also tend to have less of an appetite overall. I found that at least for me, cutting back didn't do that, and I was more likely to be hungry.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 193/176/130

Height: 5'8

Yes.. I reduced my sugar intake by alot. I can safely say that thats the reason why im losing weight. Sugar is a trigger for me, once I cut it out and resisted cravings, I stopped craving it all together. Now, I don't crave it at all.. And if I do have some I only need like a bite to satisfy me.
ilovemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

I've definitely tried to cut way back on refined sugar (including "secret" sugars like corn syrup). If any of the sugars are listed in the first 5 ingredients, I don't eat it. Sugars that are naturally occurring such as in fruits and veggies are harder to avoid. But I try to eat ones that are lower on the glycemic index so they naturally have lower sugars.

Refined sugar really does a number on our bodies. Significant sugar intake on a daily basis really messes up insulin production (thus the epidemic of Type II Diabetes in this country), causes skin problems, and water retention. Plus the effects of it wear off so fast that you're hungry again much sooner than if you'd had something without a lot of sugar in it.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #8  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I am not an all or nothing kind of gal, but I have mostly given up sugars.

I don't eat bread (mostly sugar), Rice (mostly sugar), sweet potatoes, almost any grains, etc. And of course, that means no sugar in things like candies, cookies, etc!

But, I do eat fruit, but I don't eat a lot of it. I eat one apple a day with cinnamon and peanut butter. I will eat some frozen berries (strawberries and blueberries) in a yogurt smoothie (just plain yogurt, whey protein and berries) once or twice a week.

Do I miss it? No, not really and I'm still trying to figure out why I allow myself to succumb to it - like on vacation and the holidays. Probably because I love the taste of it. But, man I HATE I how feel when I'm under it's power and then once I'm eating it, I crave it and then it gets harder to stop eating it. Really, the best answer for me is to just stay away from it period as it makes me feel worse than the enjoyment at the moment is worth. Now just to really REMEMBER that then next time the holidays arrive!

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 01-21-2013 at 09:51 AM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/166/145

Height: 5'4"

I've cut back drastically on refined sugar, but I don't plan on giving it up altogether. I am eating a couple pieces of fruit a day and some starchy vegetables (sweet potatoes a couple times a week). When I make baked oatmeal I use honey instead of refined sugar. I've only been doing this for 2 weeks, and I'm down about 6 pounds.
Jennifer1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #10  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
Yes. Sugar and starch in pretty much all forms. I will occasionally have some dark (75+%) chocolate or a half cup of blueberries, but that's it.

Best decision I ever made, and not nearly as hard to stick to as it seemed it would be. Been that way without any licks, bites, or off plan tastes since the middle of October, and never going back! No bread or other grains, no sugary fruits, starchy veggies, or refined sugar/grain products. I would like to add in the occasional bit of oatmeal down the road when I'm at goal, but even that is pretty unimportant to me. I love what I eat every day
Ditto... except I don't eat any dark chocolate and not that fond of blueberries. I do have an occasional strawberry or raspberry though.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #11  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

One more voice to encourage anyone who's thinking about it to give a try. I cut out almost ALL sugars for a year - even eliminating fruit and switching from milk to cream for my coffee. It was for specific health reasons, but I think almost anyone would see a worthwhile benefit.

I understand how tremendously impossible it might seem to some. It wasn't easy. (It probably helped quite a bit to have the health issue as a "crutch" keeping me compliant for the first several months.) But it's been so worth it. Not just for health reasons. I feel free. There is actually something incredibly freeing when I turn down sugary dessert offers now. I do believe at some point you can cross the rubicon -- you no longer feel deprived or even that you're telling yourself no. Instead, it feels like saying yes each time - yes to what's best for me, and I swear, I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

I realize this sounds a little loonie. Anyway, it's worth every bit of effort to try.

Edit - I'll add that I am less restrictive now. Still no refined sugars, though. The other side effect to having cut them out for so long? The occasional piece of fruit that I have is INCREDIBLE. Holy cow. I had a bite of my husband's pear yesterday and may or may not have been moaning semi-obscenely. I wasn't very fond of fruit before - I was the person who'd rather eat a veggie and then some kind of "real" sugar-y treat, none of this halfway stuff with a piece of fruit - so this is pretty dramatic.

Last edited by Desiderata; 01-21-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #12  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I stay away from added sugars 99% of the time, and no longer drink juices or sugary sodas. I also try to stay away from processed carbs period. I'll still have naturally occurring sugar though; I have a small amount of fruit every day in my veggie salads, for example. I don't eat a lot of grains but try to make sure they're whole grains when I do.

I've noticed once I get started on eating something sugary (like the chocolates we got for Christmas), I literally can't stop thinking about them until they're all gone! My cravings have mostly vanished otherwise, and I know I feel a lot better because of it.

My mom used to add sugar to everything when I was growing up, even the sauce for the mac & cheese! She also used to pour syrup over white rice for my breakfast (something she later claimed never happened). And I can remember just pouring sugar into my cereal as a kid, scooping the grey sludge up from the bottom of the milk and finding it delicious. I even ate table sugar by the spoon back then . . . so yeah, my issues with sugar started early in my life!

I always read labels to check for grams of sugar, too much and I put it back. I rely mostly on whole foods anyway. I don't even keep bags/containers of sugar in the house anymore.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #13  
Happy Member

I've cut sugar and grains out of my diet, and I'm very glad that I did.

Last edited by JoJoJo2; 01-21-2013 at 11:24 AM.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 160/123/???

Height: 5'7

I've cut them out as a result of eating low carb. I credit that for significantly reducing the frequency and severity of my binges, and therefore my weight loss.
I still eat lower carb berries and things like (unsweetened) greek yogurt, which do have sugar, but it's really incidental amounts in the scheme of things.
vabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #15  

I have given up sugar all together for 20 days now and I must say, it is true what they say, If you dont have it you dont crave it. The first 2 days were rought but I have been good ever since and because of this I am dropping way more weight working out.
RageandMoxy is offline   Reply With Quote