Old 01-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #1  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default sticking with it

I am really having trouble with sticking with it.
When eating low carb/ atkins I feel better and the weight comes off nicely.
Then something occurs and I go off plan. It might be a party, or a special occasion/meal etc, going to a dinner party with fewer options, a ceremonial thing.
It might be ok if I just had one off plan meal, but it seems to trigger me into eating carbs again. And really overdoing it once I start.
How did/do people stay on plan for the long term. How do you manage the occasional treat? There are a few things I have difficulty with the idea of never having it again. (oddly, steel cut oatmeal, and cookies, not so odd. )

For some reason, even though I do well with this way of eating, I stray off the path. Help!
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/123/???

Height: 5'7

For me, the treat just cannot be unplanned. I have to have a reasonable idea of the carbs, and I have to keep them somewhat low. About 50g - 100g for that entire day. And you better believe I'm going really low carb/high protein for a long time before and after!

I’m okay with only taking a few bites of a high carb food if that’s what it takes to make it work (and then switching to low carb food). I’ve been the weirdo at a restaurant not digging in, but it’s worth it to me. This is a whole lifestyle for me, and I know that puts me at odds with a lot of social eating things. Now I just own it and keep on truckin.

On the other hand, if there’s everyday higher carb foods you want to add, you could try just adding them! For example, oatmeal has about 24g net carbs. I could work that into a day with 35g net carbs pretty easily, eating protein and veggies. I’ve used Atkins as a strong framework, but I have also modified it as I’ve gone on. Some days I have a higher carb item, and keep it very low the rest of the day. Most days I spread the carbs out evenly, but I stay flexible. This has really helped me adjust from a diet to a way of life.
vabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #3  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

I would lose control too if I was allowing occasional carb binges. Blood sugar stability is what keeps me from feeling like snacking and thus able to keep control. I end up eating out a lot and at other people's houses, I just seriously don't give in, the consequence of that is a binge. I don't keep my diet a secret, because if I did I wouldn't have options when eating at friends houses. If they don't want to provide a low carb option for me I offer to bring it. Usually it opens a good conversation about why I'm eating low carb and what the benefits are for me. People are pretty open minded because they see that I've lost thirty lbs doing tis.

I hope you find your happy place with carb restriction, it really had been so beneficial to my satiety and helping to control my BED.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 187/187/140

Height: 5ft4.5in

I have to keep reminding myself that this WOE is worth feeling good about myself-and feeling GOOD. I know that when I eat carbs I feel bloated and tired all the time. I did allow myself a splurge (pizza & french fries) on Saturday night. I know that's not going to help me get to my goal faster, but I'm hoping that it'll mean that I won't go hogwild the rest of the time. I don't want to view this as a diet, but as a health choice.
BrenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I have had the same problem...for me, Atkins is the only thing that has ever worked to help me get the weight off, but on those occasionally (especially a week before my period) I can't stop myself from eating something totally wrong for me and it triggers a spiral of bad choices like my body is so addicted to the carbs that it can't stop after even a bite and I end up off plan AGAIN for who knows how long...usually until I have gained back everything I lost plus some. Hoping to find some advice from someone who has learned to control their own ravenous carb monster lurking in the shadows...
minoja75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:54 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 265/205/115

Height: 5'3"

My favorite way to eat is vegetarian with lots of carbs and sugar, but when it comes to losing weight, Atkins gives me the best results (have lost 50 lbs 3 times on it, I'm a yo/yo dieter). I stay on induction the whole time but I do have "treats" a few times a week. I choose low carb treats which for me means either roasted almonds dipped in a big bowl of artificially sweetened whipped cream, or I make a large low carb cheesecake. I am very lucky that these treats satisfy me and I don't need any high carb snacks, just snacks that TASTE high carb. Of course, I don't get that calming effect of "real" comfort food. Too bad!
kayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #7  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Wink

[QUOTE=vabs;4597889]For me, the treat just cannot be unplanned. I have to have a reasonable idea of the carbs, and I have to keep them somewhat low. About 50g - 100g for that entire day. And you better believe I'm going really low carb/high protein for a long time before and after!

I agree !! I once lost 35 lbs on a plan that restricts carbs to 4 g on two meals and allows more carbs once per day as a "reward meal". This must be a balanced meal eaten within one hour. I was never hungry doing this...even got to eat real desserts.... and still steadily took off 1 lb per week.
I'm doing Atkins induction now for a few weeks to re calibrate (too much bread and fruit) but this is too restrictive for me long-term. I'm going to increase the carbs slowly and see if there's a sweet spot w/ higher carbs that doesn't give me cravings.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #8  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

For me Atkins is just an easier way to eat as it allows me the foods that I like to eat and they (meat, lettuce etc) keep me feeling full and it gives me a better awareness of everything (thoughts, memory etc). Thinking about eating bread, pasta, potatoes, real sugar, alcohol, popcorn sigh, etc justs my mind running.. but I just tell myself, that those are the things that made me as I am today (or 8 weeks ago) and I don't want to go back to that feeling (luthargic, squishy, squeezed into clothes and chairs etc). I don't LIKE feeling that way. Just remind yourself that you want to feel like you do when you are following the plan then when you do when you are heavier and moodier with the sugar surges (Yuck).

Remember.... eating, just like everthing, is 1 day, 1 hour, 1 minute, 1 Moment at a time! You can only over come what is happening now.
(I have to keep telling myself this ALL the time!)
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #9  
Haters gonna hate

S/C/G: 187.5/175.2/140

Height: 5'3

Atkins is very forgiving I have found. Just start again like u didn't have the setback. Never stop trying even when u think u have done a ton of damage.
SunnyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:04 PM   #10  
Sue finding inner song

I just felt I needed to bump this thread.... Just in case people are having cravings that are driving them crazy (and giving in!)
Old 01-17-2014, 08:22 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/130

Height: 5'5"

If I know I am going somewhere that wont be low carb friendly like an event I try to eat enough to be full before I go so it will make it less tempting to be there. If it is a dinner I am invited to I usually inform people (if they don't already know) that I am eating low carb. Sticking with it I have had the same problem you have had and the thing to remember is one mistake does not mean the end even though sometimes it feels like it is. I feel like crap when I go so long with out eating mass amounts of carbs and then eat my weight in them suddenly or heck even just a few, and then the guilt factor gets me too lol. Just remember one mistake is not a big deal and will not put all that weight back on you took off it just means you have to get back on track the next day. Lastly Atkins is not a never eat what you want again diet. However it is important to remember that Atkins is a lifestyle change and it is for the purpose of learning how to eat healthy foods and not craving all those carbs we are accustomed to. of course some people will never get to a amount of carbs that will allow them to eatt a large amount of carbs with every meal, but you should be able to have your oat meal and cookie from time to time because it will fit in your max carbs allowed to not gain weight. For example my husbands is 150 carbs. No that's not a ton but it allows him to have the occasional piece of birthday cake.... but eating that crap daily isnt healthy anyway right? so knowing that it may be allowed again but in moderation is ok with me.

Last edited by Brooklynn; 01-17-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:28 AM   #12  
Back 2 Low CArb living

S/C/G: 220/210/159

Height: 5'6 1/2

Today is day 5 for me.. All week I haven't had any issues..
I don't keep anything in the house that temps me..
I actually haven't had much of a desire to eat...
So here comes the weekend.. I hope it stays that way
Start of day 5 Down 3 pounds.
ames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames14 View Post
Today is day 5 for me.. All week I haven't had any issues..
I don't keep anything in the house that temps me..
I actually haven't had much of a desire to eat...
So here comes the weekend.. I hope it stays that way
Start of day 5 Down 3 pounds.
wtg! I have been back on Atkins for a week now too. did it a couple years ago with great success but I was never in the mind set then that this was a permanent fix always just a means to an end. And boy does the weight come back fast when you go from eating less than 100 carbs to eating more than 300 lol. I have had a few cravings but a piece of sugar free gum shuts that up for me. Good luck this weekend!!!
Brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:03 AM   #14  
Sue finding inner song

Boy does staying on plan work! I was always having just 1 week of the month that I would woosh (I don't get TOM anymore) and since October and Halloween I have been missing that woosh week (hhmmmm could it be the chocolates and Holiday food - Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and alcohol???? hmmmm could be! ) so staying on plan.. well WOOSH week happened again and I am finally moving forward. SOOOOOOO When in doubt and when in a rut START INDUCTION AGAIN! or just sit back and look at what you are really eating.. truly... every morsel and fluid that you drink.. look at it and count every lemon, artificial sweetner bread crumb, sauce..etc... It sure does make a difference in weight loss.. stall... etc