Old 01-19-2013, 03:51 PM   #1  

Default Has anyone.......

Tried weight watchers after losing on IP? I've been on maintainance x 2 months and gained 7-8 lbs back. I was thinking of doing WW to lose 10 more but wasn't sure if our bodies would lose on another diet plan or did IP mess us up in that way, so to speak.
mamarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #2  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

I did WW before and liked that I could eat regular food. I did lose weight, but not at the same rate as here. I could see for myself, that using a plan, like WW-- or any other -- to help me in maintenance would be a good idea. I know a few people talk about the Paleo lifestyle etc.

IP works for me for now and I have too much to go to think about another plan right now. Maybe check in at the "Maintenance" thread and get some advice from the people who are "livin' the dream" (and facing the reality!)
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #3  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Your body will lose on any diet plan that creates a calorie deficit, if you follow it. If IP worked for you the first time, there's no reason you couldn't do it again - I don't necessarily believe WW would be MORE effective in getting rid of the last bit of weight. The lower your body weight, the less calories your body needs to function at the base level. Weight Watchers has you eating a lot more calories than IP, which means there is less of a difference between what you are eating and what your body needs. The larger the gap between your calories from food and what your body needs, the faster the weight comes off.

That said, WW is better if you plan on continuing a vigorous exercise routine, or if you have other health issues that make IP harder - if you feel like you are more likely to be successful on WW than IP, do what you feel is best!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 164.8/150.5/128 1) -4.8,2)-3.2

Height: 5' 4"

It should work. WW focuses on balance and portion sizes. I've been on IP for about two and a half weeks, lost 10 pounds and am transitioning off and over to WW. IP is just too much soy for me, and I'm ok now losing less quickly.

You'll probably lose a little less quickly on WW, but you'll be eating the way you will keep eating. I'm counting calories as well. I read a great article that made a lot of sense to me, where you calculate how many calories you'll need at your ideal weight...eat that many each day, and eventually you'll get there. The woman in the article got there unusually quickly, I don't expect that kind of speedy results, but I think it makes sense.

WW doesn't focus as much on calories, it's points, but keeps you in a sensible range. Here's a link to the article if you're interested, http://www.debramoorhead.com/blog/in...-in-one-month/
PamC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #5  

Thank you for the positive comments. I did IP for 1 year and lost 90 pounds. My concern with WW is mixing carbs and fats , which they discourage on IP in maintainance. I would like to lose 10'to 15 more but the thought of doing IP any longer is overwhelming. ;0). I'm just so scared to gain the weight back!!
Old 01-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #6  
Starting over: 7/29/2015

S/C/G: 257/251/150

Height: 5'3"

I have been thinking about maintenance (it's a long way off, but a girl can dream, right?), and I have thought that maybe something like South Beach would be a good guideline to follow for my maintenance plan (i.e., the rest of my life). It reduces carbs, but allows some carbs that are lower on the glycemic index. It also allows fruit and low fat dairy in moderation. Unlike Atkins, it doesn't allow lots of fatty foods--which I like.
One thing I like about IP is that once you are in maintenance, if you backslide, you have the option of going back to strict Phase 1 eating until that extra weight is gone. I have a good friend who did just that recently.
tam67green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #7  

Maybe try the alternate phase 1 plan? Any program will work as long as the calories in are lower than the calories out. remember that on IP you are having carbs in fact the total carbs equals about 2 servings of carbs so WW should work for you even if it is slower. It worked fine for me when i was on it. I just drove myself nuts with the points

Last edited by maezy1; 01-19-2013 at 05:23 PM.
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #8  

Maezy1, what do you mean by the alternate phase 1 plan?
PamC. Thanks for the interesting article!

My coach told me once in maintainance you can't do phase 1 again for 6 months.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 256.8/255.2/155

Height: 5'6''

I tried WW after doing IP the first time. I followed it to a 'T' and stayed stagnant. I've realized now, after a year of consistently gaining weight, that i'm one of those people who is 'carb intolerant' and should just avoid carbs as a lifestyle. Some people do well with WW, as long as it's done correctly. I'm just not one of those people.
BrittStar027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #10  
IP Start date 12/18/12

S/C/G: 228.4/171/165

Height: 5 ft 10 inches

WW works for a lot of people, just never me. Have you tried Atkins if you don't want to do IP again? You get more to eat...
BeccaGrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #11  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarenee View Post
Maezy1, what do you mean by the alternate phase 1 plan?
PamC. Thanks for the interesting article!

My coach told me once in maintainance you can't do phase 1 again for 6 months.
Go to the stickies at the top and read the plan for diabetics. It allows some carbs, fruit and dairy. You'll still lose, but at a slower rate than strict IP.

I don't think there is any "rule" to not doing P1 again for 6 months -- that just sounds silly to me IMHO.

Check out the thread for the people in Maintenance and the thread about losing the last 10 pounds. I haven't gone to either of those threads, but those would be our 'experts' having the same issues/questions you do.
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Lots of people lose with WW. I do think the original poster was asking about maintaining though.
I gain with WW.
Over and over I read that weight loss is all about reducing calories.
But for many of us we have to factor in the carbs as well. I think many people who find IP to be successful are carb sensitive, many of us super so.

I think Maezy's suggestion of transitioning with the diabetic IP plan is an excellent one. I will remember that when I get back to goal this time.

Pat
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #13  

ww worked for me in my twenties, but now in my mid-forties it does not work. My body can't tolerate too much sugar and carbs. WW is so appealing because it is quite nice to think that I can eat anything within a certain point range, but my reality is that I have to keeps the carb count lower. I can eat 1800 cals of good, clean food (ip-like diet), but on ww I would have to starve at 1,000 cals to make any progress.
explore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #14  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post

I think Maezy's suggestion of transitioning with the diabetic IP plan is an excellent one. I will remember that when I get back to goal this time.

Pat
I think this is a really good idea. For some reason, I stick with healthy eating best when I have some sort of 'plan'. This would provide it, and would put me in the right calorie intake range too according to what my RMI will be when I get to 145-150lbs. Plus one could still follow the 'don't mix fat and carbs' (except breakfast) guideline within the structure of this. Good thinking, Maezy and Pat.

Last edited by evepet; 01-20-2013 at 11:07 AM.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #15  
Fresh start

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarenee View Post
Tried weight watchers after losing on IP? I've been on maintainance x 2 months and gained 7-8 lbs back. I was thinking of doing WW to lose 10 more but wasn't sure if our bodies would lose on another diet plan or did IP mess us up in that way, so to speak.
I think best way is to go Low Carb - at least I think for me that would work.
And of course I have to measure stuff and count or whatever I can do so I don't get all that back - I seen people gaining all and more back.
foreveryoung is offline   Reply With Quote