Old 01-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 283/255/199

Height: 5"6

Default I feel like im not getting ANYWHERE with my weightloss...please help!

Hi all! So I am currently 270 lbs...and I have made a vow to myself that this is the year to get my health back. I am 25 yrs old and I hve a beautiful little boy, who is almost 7. Luck has not been on my side, I was diagnosed with cervical cancer in 2006 and was cancer free by 2008, in 2011 I was diagnosed with endometriosis, a chronic condition that required surgery, with the surgery being unsuccessful, I am now on hormone injectioins and preparing for a full hysterectomy in march. Doctors tell me that these problems could have been avoided if only I took better care of my health...so here I am...25, and 270lbs...problems is I feel discouraged, I eat approx 1000 cals a day of pure nutrition, and I do biggest loser workouts daily...but I feel like I'm not getting anywhere, I have become obsessed with weighing myself, I feel guilty for everything i eat, even thokugh its next to nothing and I'm always starving...for those of you who have lost 100+ pounds...I applaud you...your willpower to move on and stay motivated is just amazing...how did you do it? How many calories did you eat? I need as much information as possible because this is all new to me. 3fc is my only form of support as I have no friends or famiy to encourage me....sorry for the novel...and thnks so much for viewing my thread
nichole87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #2  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Hi Nichole,

Be patient and kind to yourself. Hormone imbalances will really really slow weight loss- if not stop it entirely. I gained 70 pounds after having hormone problems (ones that didn't come up in testing, mind you).

Get to know your body. Start researching overall wellness- check out "The Skinny on Obesity"- http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL39F782316B425249
And the Weston Price Foundation- http://www.westonaprice.org/basics/dietary-guidelines

If you haven't already- start eating clean and eliminate processed foods out of your diet. "Food-like" substances can't be good for anyone. I for one am tired of eating fake food.

I would focus on wellness and try not to compare yourself to other people. I would also recommend focusing on exercises that you find to be particularly nourishing- swimming, yoga, pilates, walking ect.

ETA: You might also want to get rid of your scale until after your hormones balance after surgery. Ask your doctor how long that might take. I would try not to worry about weight loss until then.

You might also want to look into the Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) lifestyle. I've heard it really helps with hormones- http://gapsdiet.com/

Last edited by lunarsongbird; 01-18-2013 at 11:56 AM.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #3  

Thanks so much for your repky lunar, problem is, I have to lose as much weigt as possible before my surgery, my doctor would like to see a 50 lbs weightloss by march...and I just don't belive that is possible...but I need to kickstart now, I will definitely take your advice about processed foods, thanks so much!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #4  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I'm going to give it to you straight, 1000 calories, especially with your stats, is WAY too little. NO wonder you're starving. Good lord I would starving at 1000 calories! You could EASILY eat 1500 a day, still be in a huge deficit, and not be as hungry! You could even eat probably upwards of 1800-2000 and still be just fine.

You can't be starving all the time! Plain and simple. You are doing great, but I know you want long term weight loss!!! To get that you have to eat enough to sustain yourself!

Big hugs! I'm very sorry to hear about all of the turmoil you've been through!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #5  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
I'm going to give it to you straight, 1000 calories, especially with your stats, is WAY too little. NO wonder you're starving. Good lord I would starving at 1000 calories! You could EASILY eat 1500 a day, still be in a huge deficit, and not be as hungry! You could even eat probably upwards of 1800-2000 and still be just fine.

You can't be starving all the time! Plain and simple. You are doing great, but I know you want long term weight loss!!! To get that you have to eat enough to sustain yourself!

Big hugs! I'm very sorry to hear about all of the turmoil you've been through!
this! I eat between 1400-1800 and am losing steadily. If you haven't yet, open a fitday.com or loseit.com account and start tracking calories. You can also input current weight, how much you want to lose and by how much per week, up to 2 lbs., it does the math for you.

There's a dieting with obstacles board, you may want to check it out. Those ladies are likely to be more versed in your particular obstacles. Good luck, you CAN do this, you CAN be healthy!!
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

nichole, your doctors suggestion to lose 50 pounds by March is totally unreasonable.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #7  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

Many more people that are way smarter than me will weigh in, but I do know this.... 1000 Calories is ridiculously low. If I ate only 1000 calories per day, I would kill someone. You should be more in the 1800 calorie range, but definitely not lower than 1200 EVER.
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #8  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
1000 cals a day of pure nutrition
What is that - do you mean nutritious foods or is that some type of supplement?

I agree that 50 lbs by March is unrealistic.

1000 calories is very low, but I will admit that doing a low fat and very low carb plan, I'm probably averaging that. The big difference is that I don't have to be hungry - I can eat as much as I want as long as it's on plan foods. But in reality, low carb has a pretty strong appetite suppressing effect, so even when I'm eating whenever I'm hungry, I am on the low side.

Last edited by April Snow; 01-18-2013 at 01:02 PM. Reason: typo
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #9  

Wow, tjhanks all so much for he great replies...my doctor told me that to lose 50 by march (starting jan1st) that I would have to eat 800 calories per day...I did that for 1 week and became very irritable so I upped it to 1000...I guess silly me for not looking more in to that and trusting my doctor...should I immediately up my calories or slowely add calories each day? This weighloss thing is emotionally draining...but I refuse to back down...1500-1800 would make me a much happier girl
Old 01-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by April Snow View Post
What is that - do you mean nutritious foods or is that some type of supplement?

I agree that 50 lbs by March is unrealistic.

1000 calories is very low, but I will admit that doing a low fat and very low carb plan, I'm probably averaging that. The big difference is that I don't have to be hungry - I can eat as much as I want as long as it's on plan foods. But in reality, low carb has a pretty strong appetite suppressing effect, so even when I'm eating whenever I'm hungry, I am on the low side.
Sorry I meant just pure nutrition, as in no junk or processed foods.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #11  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

U beat cancers butt, so u can beat weights butt too! I hope everything works out for you. Live is handing u some challenges for sure! Just stay positive! I woukd say that 1000 calories is too low though, especially if u are working out. I can be obsessive about the scale and eating certain things too, wish I knew how to control that but I fear if I don't behave that way I will lose focus. I guess try and remember that u didn't gain over night di it won't come off over night, be patient and kind to yourself. Good luck and hope your surgery goes well.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 255 195.8 150

Height: 5'6

most people here use myfitnesspal it helps set a calorie goal for you and you can track what youve eaten. 1000cals is way to little. i would go with the 1500 another posted recommended or by what myfitnesspal sets for you.
deadkittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

If agree with everyone....50 pounds by March is unreasonable!!!!!!!

HUGS to you....I started heavier than where you are now and am now over 100+ down. I know how daunting the big numbers can be...YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! I'm not talking a out 50 pounds in less than 60-days. You can and will successfully lose at a healthy pace....Cheering you on
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #14  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I think you can up your calories a little bit but I would focus on lean protein, no/low fat dairy and veggies, with a limited amount of whole grains and fruit. That is a bit more extreme than necessary or comfortable for the long term, but I think it would help you get off as much as you can prior to surgery. Then after that, you can work out a plan that is better for longer term weight loss.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #15  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

Unfortunately, many docs aren't well versed in nutrition. They took the same nutrition course I did as an undergrad. Ask either for a referral to nutritionist or dietician. 50 pounds in 59 days is entirely unrealistic. You could possibly also make an appointment with your local health department, the one here has a nutritionist with a PhD on STAFF and she works in our town once a week. She's honestly amazing. Depending on your health care coverage and income the sliding fee may be little to none, you could also email around to the local colleges, see if they have someone teaching their nutrition courses and what their credentials are. If you're not opposed to being an unnamed project for a paper they may be trying to have published, they may work with you for free.

I give those suggestions because health is LONG TERM. You've already had to battle reproductive cancer and now, at your young age you're being slated for a hysterectomy. From my own observations of seeing the women in my life have those uteruses and occasionally ovaries removed as well, they've ALL put on weight due to hormone inbalances as they juggled finding the right HRT for them. Why not have good habits in effect before surgery and HRT (if that's what you're doing), to make the after surgery time period more managable.

I really DO believe anyone can be healthy, they can lose weight, they can be kind to their hearts and souls and change their overall health outlook for the better.

ETA: I wanted to suggest you not look at the 50, 75, or 100 pound number as one huge thing. Break it down mentally. Anyone can lose 5 lbs 20 times, or 10 pounds 10 times. Find that incremental number that works for YOUR mental health, and set your goal there.

Last edited by Angihas2; 01-18-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote