Old 01-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

Default Finally going to Ireland!! Need help and advice...

We are going to visit family in Ireland for 3wks March 14 to April 4th.
I am worried and concerned about the best way to handle this.
Should I buy product now and have it shipped to my Sister in Law??
Luckily, we won't be eating out a lot, but of course I want this to all go smoothly and not drive everyone crazy with my requirements. (Although I am sure they are thrilled we are finally coming 'home'.)

Help please!

Thank you!!
NinjaNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #2  
Restart IP 9/26/13

S/C/G: 208/185/140

Height: 5'6

I was wondering the same thing. Going to a wedding in Australia in March for a week and a half. I was wondering if I would be allowed to take IP packs with me overseas, or if they are sticklers about this. I can't easily have them shipped as I am going to 2 different places and staying at hotels. I just could see TSA getting their undies in a bunch because those packets are silver. They may think I am smuggling stuff. LOL
Katkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #3  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

I've travelled many times with IP products and not had any problems with customs or airlines. Just remember that RTDs need to be checked in your luggage not carried on. Otherwise the silver packets stacked in my carry-on doesn't get a second glance.

I think bringing them in my luggage is easier than shipping ahead but that all depends on your situation and if customs might give you a problem about shipping food stuff.
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #4  

KitKat169I was thinking that but I need to take 60pks?? We can take up to 3 checked w/out a fee, but I don't know. I'll will deffo have to research.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #5  
Started IP 1/14/2012

IP is available in some places in Europe. Is there any chance your SIL could help order stuff there? 60 pks is a lot, but I've done it before. It gave me an excuse at the end of the trip with an empty suitcase to load up on a shopping trip! But I am also one that tends to pack light on my clothing needs.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat169 View Post
IP is available in some places in Europe. Is there any chance your SIL could help order stuff there? 60 pks is a lot, but I've done it before. It gave me an excuse at the end of the trip with an empty suitcase to load up on a shopping trip! But I am also one that tends to pack light on my clothing needs.
Ummmm I'll look. What kind of places would have it there?? I am dying to take my smaller self shopping, although it's cheaper here.

Maybe 1/2 and 1/2. I want to try Alternatives and haven't started yet.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #7  
Started IP 1/14/2012

I just a google search and found www.idealprotein.uk.com so you could try getting in touch with them about placing a single order. Or locate a clinic near your SIL
Old 01-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #8  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNurse View Post
Ummmm I'll look. What kind of places would have it there?? I am dying to take my smaller self shopping, although it's cheaper here.

Maybe 1/2 and 1/2. I want to try Alternatives and haven't started yet.
It's been many years now (1993) but when I was in Ireland, it was a terrific place to shop because they had no sales tax! Don't know if that's still the case.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #9  

Kitkat169 They do have IP in UK and Ireland. I just emailed for info in Dublin. Not a huge selection it seems so far, but it will help. Just need to see the cost.
Wow I could become a representative there!! Seems like it's up and coming!!
Old 01-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #10  
8/23/12 - 1/6/13

S/C/G: 170/140/135

Height: 5' 5"

I heard TSA and other security groups get most nervous about unmarked packages. I would put the packets in the box they came in my checked suitcase. That gives them more credibility. I wouldn't pack any silver packets that did not have pre-printed labels on them, like "tomato basil soup".

On my first trip to India, I did not have time to get all my shots, so I brought 5 days worth of power bars in my suitcase and just ate them the entire trip. Not very entertaining, but I didn't pick up any stomach bugs either. I was on one flight where they filled the plane with insecticide before they opened the doors for us to deplane. Apparently they didn't want any flies (or malaria-laden mosquitos) to deplane with us. I can't remember which two countries I was between on that flight. I'm sure they don't do that between US and Ireland!

The biggest problem with food stuffs is fresh food that bugs can hitchhike on or that plant seeds or spores can ride over with. Generally, packaged and processed food goes across borders without incident.
Fishette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katkat View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Going to a wedding in Australia in March for a week and a half. I was wondering if I would be allowed to take IP packs with me overseas, or if they are sticklers about this. I can't easily have them shipped as I am going to 2 different places and staying at hotels. I just could see TSA getting their undies in a bunch because those packets are silver. They may think I am smuggling stuff. LOL
I just googled IP in Australia. They have a FB page but looks quiet. Maybe you could inquire there???
Old 01-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #12  
Restart IP 9/26/13

S/C/G: 208/185/140

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNurse View Post
I just googled IP in Australia. They have a FB page but looks quiet. Maybe you could inquire there???
I definitely will look into that! Thank you! Only bad thing is that I won't have car there (don't feel comfortable driving in an unknown land lol) so if I need to go to a clinic to pick stuff up that may be a little tough, depending on distance.

Since it's only a week and half I may try cramming stuff in the suitcase, Not too into taking boxes as they can get pretty bulky. But if it has to be done it has to be done. LOL

Good luck to you! Hope you can get some stuff there, it would be much easier.
Katkat is offline   Reply With Quote