Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #1  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Default JANUARY Feathers Chat!

I hope everyone's doing well - surprised no one started a chat thread for January yet, so I will.

I'm really excited about returning to routine and normal after my week and a half of staycation/holiday madness, though the thought of having to choose between getting up early and crowds after work is turning the gym into a terrible chore.

NYE in Montreal was a blast - I'll post some food pics once I get them uploaded. NYE dinner was dumplings - they were delicious but gave us the WORST BURPS, like every time one of us burped we had to leave the room. Decided I'd rather get laid on NYE than worry about TOM - it's never as bad as I expect it to be, also this month is worryingly light (after 2 days I'm just about done...), sorry TMI. We were at a laid back alternative-ish bar at midnight and had some lovely walks around the city. Had TERRIBLE HOT DOG POUTINE for 1 am munchies, it was incredibly disgusting but we were pretty drunk. For brunch on New Year's Day we went to CHEZ CORA (kinda like Denny's, but with a lot of fruit) and I had eggs benedict - I'm sure I will be told "your cholesterol is high" the next time I go to a doctor.

The wait to get back into the US was like an hour - with maybe 15-20 cars ahead of us. Once we got back I made some veggies and tempeh for dinner and we met our friends in town to celebrate someone's 1/1 birthday. Early to bed and even after almost 10 hours of sleep I still feel like I could sleep all day...
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: crazy/working/calm

Height: 5'8"

Krampus ~ Your new year's celebration sounds amAZING!!! Lucky you, being so close to Montreal!

I just partied quietly at home with a girlfriend. Made a spinach and artichoke dip (yummmmy!) that we ate with pita chips. Watched the AbFab New Year episode, saw Kathy and Anderson drop the ball, and toasted the New Year (This year: "To Fewer F-ups and more "That was a GREAT idea!!!" moments.")

Laid around all day yesterday and it was lovely. Only downfall was not being able to go to sleep at a decent hour...

Back at work today. Did NOT want to get up this morning... Bleh. Am looking forward to being back in a routine, though. Looking at recipes now. My cooking skills are sorely lacking and I'd like to be more confident in the kitchen.

Happy 2013 everyone!!!!!
Alexistrophic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: Lose body fat

Height: 5' 3"

Hola from Mexico! Today is our last full day! NYE was a blast but I was REALLY hurting yesterday. We didn't even make it till midnight. I'm feeling quite puffy today. I'm dreading coming home to snow and back to the real world!

Today happy hour, chips and guac in the afternoon, pack, then a nice dinner.

I promised myself I would not get on the scale till a few days of detox! Lol!

Happy new year everyone and I look forward to hearing about your goals for 2013!
Bayzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 155.2/150/149

Height: 5'2"

Happy New Year, Feathers!

Well, I'm afraid to weigh myself so I'm not. I know I did quite the damage over the last few weeks. My clothes don't feel too bad, but I feel puffy in my stomach and I know that all that wine I drank over the past few weeks didn't just go away, alas.

So I started my strength training today! My muscles feel all weak right now, which means soreness tomorrow, I'm sure!

@krampus - I'm jealous! Montreal! Poutine (even if it was bad), lots of alcohol, sounds perfect!

@alex - your celebration sounds good, too! I like your idea of "To fewer f__ ups!" I think that should be my mantra, too!

@bayzee - mmmm...guacamole and chips!

I must be hungry because all this mention of food is making me crave. Ugh, if I can make it through today without eating something off plan, it will be my first day fully on plan since just before CHristmas.

Next, after I get my eating under control, is to get my wine habit under control, *sigh* I did lots of wine drinking over the holidays, especially New Year's Eve, when I was staying at my sister's (she had a party) and didn't have to drive. I would like to get it so that I'm only having it on the weekend, but *sigh*, that's no fun, is it? I can easily give up sweets and bread and pasta and all that stuff, but wine? I'm just not there yet...
olehcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Happy new year, ladies! I love hearing about everyone's grand holidays. I haven't been here in quite some time, but I'm hoping to find some time to hang out this year. I'm getting married in the spring and I want to make sure that I stay on track for the big day. So far, so good: I'm still holding at 108. I just bought my dress online and it will need to be taken in all over, so I want to make sure I'm still the same size on the day or all those alterations will have been a big mistake. I find planning something for the future and using that as motivation keeps me on track, so I try to always have something going on down the road, whether it is a big or a little something. I had about five big celebrations in the last two weeks, including a five-course-meal-with-wine-pairings on the 31st, but I worked out and scaled back my calories on other days, so it all worked out. Spring wedding, here I come!

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 01-02-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #6  

Height: 5'4

I'm here, I'm here! Just back from a crazy vacation about a million pounds heavier but pretty happy aside from that. I've been reading but havent had a chance to catch up... I'll be working on that tomorrow!
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #7  
I Will Because I Can

S/C/G: 167/130

Height: 5'6

Happy January, ladies!

I had a great New Years... we went to a friend's house, they have kids our kids' ages (3 & 1) so we hung out, had a bonfire in the backyard, fireworks in the front and way too much food. It was nice to spend time with friends... the first time we've gone "out" on New Years since we've had babies.

I'm still up a few pounds from before Christmas (131 today). I've been OP for 4 days now, so it's safe to say that it's not bloating, but actual fat gain (no surprise there since I inhaled pie for 5 straight days).

I'm flying out to Dallas for my BFF's wedding in exactly one week. I want to stay really focused on my diet until then. It's going to be tough because my little girl turns 2 on Friday, we're having a celebration for that, then my mom and and aunt are coming into town on Saturday to spend the day with us.

Last edited by OhThePlaces; 01-02-2013 at 08:27 PM.
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #8  

I'll catch up with a few personals before I update you guys on my holidays

OhThePlaces - You only spent 5 days inhaling pie? Amatuer. Seriously though, I know where you are and it sucks BUT, did you enjoy it? I enjoyed every bite of what I ate and to be honest, my body FEELS good right now. I needed a break from dieting and working out super hard. yeah, I definitely gained a bunch of fat but I know I can lose it again and I feel like this has given me the break I needed to switch up my goals (more on that later).

I too have another trip coming up next weekend and will be making sure to really watch myself in the meantime. I don't plan to deviate from my diet much that weekend anyway, save for dinner and some drinks on the 12th. It sounds like a fun trip though! I'm sure if you focus you can make good choices in spite of the other events.

Petite Powerhouse - A wedding can definitely keep you on track! I got married in July of this past year and it wasn't even hard to say no to temptations leading up to it. If anything, I lost too much weight! Welcome to the Feather's Chat, and I hope you stick around a while!

Olehcat - Girl, I feel ya... I drank like an Amish kid during Rumspringa! Seriously, I personally took down a whole bottle of Baileys, a whole bottle of Champage, a whole bottle of Grey Goose, and COUNTLESS beers, shots, etc. I drank A LOT.
The good thing is that it is that time of year when motivation is at an all time high all around us; its hard not to feel refreshed, renewed, and ready to take on some new fitness and health challenges. You don't even necessarily have to 'give up' wine, just keep track of how much you drink and if you get stuck along the way, perhaps look at it as one thing you can continue to cut down on.

Bayzee - I imagine you are back home today, or at least on your way. I'm so glad your vacation went well and you sound like you had a blast!

Alexis - As much as I love seeing my husband I'm glad to be home and back into a routine as well. It's comforting, no? NYE was pretty quiet for us too, but we did go out and have an amazing dinner. (I'll post some pictures later, because it was THAT mouthwatering to look at AND to eat. )

Krampus - It seems like you had a great NYE, and I'm not surprised! Dumpling burps don't sound great, but at least you didn't have an epic hangover (Unless you just didn't mention it). I spent NY Day in the gym and getting back on my eating clean wagon, and I'm so glad... I have some serious detoxing and work to do!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll have to post up a few pictures later when I get home, but I don't have a whole lot of exciting news;

Christmas Eve we went to the Ranch and went shooting, then drove home in the snow and got drunk.

Christmas Day we went to the gym, saw 'The Hobbit' (Amaze-balls by the way), went home and got drunk, watched 'Ted' on Demand and hit the hay.

The next few days were relatively uneventful; did some shopping, some working out, and ate well. Started to see a reduction in bloating... hahaha!

I went and saw the school I plan to attend and met with their admissions director and course supervisor, and I'm really excited to start! There is a ton of hands-on stuff and one of our blocks of instruction is a week in Las Vegas to meet with all sorts of industry professionals. THAT will be a blast.

We also bought new bedroom furniture and linens as my first effort to liven up my husband's house. Its going to be a HUGE project, considering he is a crappy furniture hoarder and 'decorates' like a frat boy. Ugh. I love our new set though, so it's a start!

Later that day (the 29th) we got drunk again.

On the 30th we went and visited my brother, his dad, and his other half-sister and watched the Broncos/Chiefs game. TONS of delicious holiday food and drinks... eh.

We had planned to stay in the 31st but instead we went to dinner at this great place I found and it was really REALLY decadent. I also had a lot to drink, AND finished a pint of ice cream in front of the TV later. LOL... man... we watched 'Looper', which was also pretty good.

On the 1st I had a good workout and have been back 'on plan' since then. I have also re-evaluted some of my goals and have decided to restructure my workouts focusing more on building muscle and taking more planned rest days. I'm following a set up I used on my last trip to Afghanistan that had me in AMAZING shape.

I'm also planning NOT to weigh myself for a good long time. I plan to use the mirror and my clothing to gauge progress instead. Looking back, I looked better at 120-122 and with more muscle than I did at 113-115 and leaner. I felt better too.

Anyone else changing any part of their routine/program/goals for 2013?

Oh, and BTW... I feel like I've pooped more in the last week than I have at any point in my life. Holy cow.

Anyway, aside from my quick trip to Arizona next weekend I also have plans to visit my hubby again in February. I bought tickets this morning as a way to make myself feel better about going back to work today... haha. I am flying out on the 13th so that I can be there for Valentine's Day!

Last edited by JossFit; 01-03-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #9  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Hi Feathers,

Weight going in the right direction - 126.4 this morning. I ate A LOT of cocoa dusted almonds last night, but am happy to report a candy/junk food-free day was had. Yogurt and salad for lunch, steak and cooked greens and more salad for dinner, almonds and an orange for snacktime. I also went to the gym after work and before work this morning - my abs and arms/shoulders are nice and sore.

My quads have been terribly awfully sore since LAST WEEK when I reintroduced leg press - I don't think it's anything other than DOMS but stairs still hurt a lot!

JossFit Welcome back! I'm glad you had an awesome time over vacation, spending quality time with hobbits (I liked it too, I can't wait until next year!) and your husband and seeing family and eating and drinking! You obviously don't need to hear it from me but I wish you all the best in restructuring your workouts and getting as strong as humanly possible

OhThePlaces I was about to be shocked about the bonfire but then I saw you're in Florida, so that makes more sense now! I'm jealous - I miss summer and bonfires and being able to go outside without 5 layers on, here there's a foot of snow on the ground and it's like -1 degrees Fahrenheit outside. What kind of pie did you inhale? I could definitely take on a chocolate pecan pie on my own...or coconut cream...mmm pie. Good luck with staying OP with all the family fun imminent! and happy 2nd to your daughter!

Petite Powerhouse I think you were the poster who lit the fire beneath me to start weight training...I recall a post where you said you eat 3200 calories a day for maintenance and I was like "I need to do that." Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!! What does your dress look like???

olehcat Hehe I feel like I had my first "on plan" day yesterday too, and even then I ate like 600 calories worth of nuts - but no chocolate or starch, so I consider that a victory. What are you doing for strength training? You'll feel the burn for sure - after my first time lifting I like, couldn't lift a coffee cup to my lips.

Bayzee Hola! Snow and the real world sucks, stay in Mexico! Chips and guac and fun in the sun is way better than the harsh reality of winter in the north. Safe travels back and hope you enjoy your last few hours of sunshine!

Alexistrophic Thanks, I had a fantastic time. It is nice having Montreal just a 3 hour drive away - and the drive up means driving past the Adirondack High Peaks, which is breathtaking in and of itself. What are you looking to learn to cook?
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #10  
I Will Because I Can

S/C/G: 167/130

Height: 5'6

Krampus, I had lots and lots.... Masses of pumpkin, pecan, and apple pies. Also a ton of fudge brownies, cookies, peanut M&Ms... I was a hot mess. I also ate way too much chips, dip and s'mores on NYE. I'm still up 3 lbs, but my body is feeling a lot less puffy today and my jeans are wearable again. It's funny because I thought of you after I stepped on the scale right after coming home from vacay and seeing a 9 lb gain on the scale... Didn't you once gain a ton of weight in a short amount of time? Maybe I'm remembering wrong from a looong time ago, but the thought made me feel better, like I'm not the only one who can pack on that much weight in a week. Haha!

I'm glad the scale is moving in the right direction for you! Yep, I'm in North Florida and it's up until a couple of days ago the temperature was in the 70s... It's a nasty 57° and rainy right now. I'd love snow for a couple of days.

Joss, I enjoyed it in the beginning, but honestly I spent most of the vacation feeling really swollen and eating almost to the point of sickness for daysss. I don't know wtf gets into me sometimes and why it's so hard to stop once I get started. Oh we'll, I'm not beating myself up over it. I'm sad to be back into the 130s but my clothes are fitting fairly well after a few days of only being able to fit into my gym pants! Haha!

It sounds like you have an awesome year ahead of you! I absolutely love getting new furniture. One of my goals is to really put effort into decorating out house this year and making it a HOME. We've moved so much because of the military that we just haven't put much effort into actually settling in and making it feel like it's ours. I'm sure you know what I mean.

As for new workout goals... This is the year I want to branch out. I always stick to cardio because it's "safe"... It's what I know and I have always felt intimidated by weight lifting. I want to start lifting as I also want to try different classes at the gym, mainly TRX and power pump.

Petite Powerhouse, a wedding is an awesome motivator! I'm the same way about always having a future event in mind. It definitely helps keep me on track. I'm the MOH in my best friend's wedding in less then two weeks, then I'm going on a cruise next month, so those are my major ones at this point.

My baby just woke up from her nap so I'll have to finish catching up later tonight. Please excuse my many typos... I'm on my iPhone since this is the only "me" time I get, sitting in the driveway while the kids nap in their carseats! Haha

Last edited by OhThePlaces; 01-03-2013 at 03:27 PM.
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #11  

S/C/G: crazy/working/calm

Height: 5'8"

bayzee ~ Mexico sounds deeeelicious! I was inspired by your guacamole fests and bought 4 avocados on sale. If I can't experience the joys of Mexico firsthand, at least I can join in on some of the food!

ohtheplaces ~ Ooooh, bonfires.... So much fun!!! I have friends with a firepit at their house and love that feeling of gathering around a fire. Strange as it sounds, I love the smell of a campfire, too. Good deal that your friends have kids that are close in age to yours. (And I second Krampus's question about what kind of pie...)

Krampus ~ I remember you asked earlier-- the biggest highlight of the Nashville trip was hands down getting to see my lil sis again. Hadn't seen her in 2.5 years... She's six years younger and we're super close, but just haven't been able to connect before now. This was a great trip to catch up and we're chatting on the phone more than ever now. Other than that, fun times included visiting a SUPER HUGE SUPER CLEAN used book store and... (don't laugh) those biscuits and gravy. The hotel had a decent breakfast buffet and we had a great time there every morning. Yum!

ohlecat ~ Where do you get your strength training workouts from? And I hear ya on getting the naughty cravings under control. I'm having a harder time giving up the sweets and starches, but don't really look at wine. We all have our vices, right?

Joss ~ Kudos to you for restructuring your workout/training system/approach to fitness. I've been contemplating a bit of a restructure myself and might actually try to incorporate more weight training into my program... Even though I've been super anti-weight in the past (I blink and I bulk up) I think it may be time to add in some high reps at low weights...
And seriously loving your travel. Even in your "quiet" times, I think you travel more in a quarter than I have in the last year! (And I probably missed it awhile back, but what are you going to school for?)

petitepowerhouse ~ Welcome! You inspired me with your weight training, too. Weddings are fantastic motivation. ;-)

~~~
Urgh... Am trying to ease back into a more "healthy" way of eating (didn't go toooo crazy, but still...) I had a bagel and lime tortilla chips this morning. Made a shepherd's pie yesterday for dinner (ground turkey and a TON of veggies) and had that for lunch.

Was 156 yesterday and am 154.8 today. At least I'm going in the right direction. Not really stressing about weight, but I plan to start posting my weigh-ins again on Monday, 1/7 so hopefully that will keep me accountable.
Alexistrophic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #12  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

( ^ that is a nice way to start this new year LOLS)

I just got back from one week to my dad's place with the boyfriend and I FEEL SO FAAAAAAAAT. But not like ''oh I ate badly, I'm not happy with myself, I feel fat'' but ''sh*t my jeans feels tight and not comfy at all''

OOOOOOOPS.

I'm just so tired of the 9 hours drive so I'm gonna read all of your post tomorrow! Glad to be back
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #13  

Picture time! In no particular order...

Here my husband and I are, showing you not only a couple of the bottles he drank recently but his frat boy decorating style. Um, yeah... this will not last.

Our bedroom furniture and new linens! Definitely more rustic than my style, but he liked it and I like him to be happy.

Ironically he is visiting his brother right now and realized that his brother has the exact same bedroom furniture! What are the odds?!

Me shooting a bit on Christmas Eve day

My hubby and I on Christmas Eve (see, I wasn't kidding about them partying out in the barn at the Ranch...)

This is my HEALTHY dinner I made tonight; zuchinni, chicken, yellow squash, bacon, onion, garlic and a dash of Italian dressing on top.

Me on NYE, going out for dinner.

Aaand this is what I ate at that dinner (brace yourselves) -
First, in addition to the bread with amazing compound butters, we had this lobster, bacon and green chile macaroni and cheese (the things sticking out of the pot are fried tortillas) -

Then for my entree I had this bison, topped with smoked salmon and bernaise sauce. Under it are pom frites, roasted butternut squash and apples, and a summer veggie medley -

THEN, my husband was full but I ordered dessert, and since it was the last meal of 2012 I opted for their sampler, for which you could choose 3 of their desserts from the menu to put together. I chose the butterscotch pumpkin cheesecake, the drunken bread pudding, and the baked apples. I ate every single bite of this -

OH, and then I ate a pint of Oreo Blast ice cream while watching a movie... hahaha.

Thats pretty much it for pictures. I felt bloated and gross so I didn't really take a lot of them this trip!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #14  

Turbo - You and me both sister! I split a seam on my workout pants I swear to God! LOL I think most of us Feathers have a LOT of damage to undo in January... February too in my case! Did you have a good time though?

Alexis - I can't 'ease' back into eating healthy, otherwise I start to make bad choices and it ends up being "Eh, what's one more day?" (Hence the NINE days I ate like total crap just recently...) but to each her own!

As far as weights go, you know I'm all about them so I definitely recommend you try again. As far as bulking up, thats all about your diet. If you eat at a deficit and lift I bet you won't feel that way.

I currently do a split like this;
Mon/Wed/Fri/Sat - Weights and a bit of cardio to warm-up
Tues/Thurs/Sun - Cardio
As you can see, that doesn't really leave time for rest...

What I am switching to is a rotation of 2 days of weights 1 day of cardio, repeated twice for a total of 9 days and then a full day of rest. I got into AMAZING shape doing that before and I think the added emphasis on weights will do me good.

As far as school, I'm going to get my degree as a personal trainer. The program is very hands on and involves working with actual clients, doing externships at gyms and such. It's also an actual DEGREE program as opposed to a 'certificate' which is all most trainers have. Scary that personal trainers can get certified online!

OhThePlaces - We pretty much had the same experience over the holidays! LOL what a bunch of little piggies we are.
I have decided not to weigh though, so you're braver than I for that! I KNOW I gained and I've also decided to change up my routine so the numbers would be funky anyway. I don't want the number on the scale to discourage me from working toward more muscle like it did the past year. So... I'm putting it away for a while and when I like what I see, I'll weigh myself just to see what the number is.

I do know what you mean about moving. It's hard for me also because I feel like his house is full of HIS stuff, and I need him to make room for me so it can be OUR house. Fortunately (in this regard anyway) I'll have the house to myself for 8 months to decorate and re-arrange things as I see fit.

Krampus - I worked out about half of the days I was with my husband and my body definitely needed the rest, but holy cow am I sore! I totally understand!

Yeah, I decided this year I'm focusing less on the scale (for real! haha) and more on the mirror. I want Jessica Biel's Blade Trinity arms this year, and I'm not really that far off. I think if I keep lifting heavy and don't focus on the scale I won't be overdoing it on cardio and killing my gains.

These will be mine...

Old 01-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 155.2/150/149

Height: 5'2"

Well, I did my strength training the other day and a few of you asked me about what I do. Well, I'm easing into it. I am doing some ab exercises and some dumb bell exercises for back, shoulder, biceps, triceps! I used 5 pound weights for some (seriously, I am WEAK) and 8 pounds weights for some. I am a wee bit sore today, but not so sore that I can't move.

I'm more concerned about my knee. My right knee has been KILLING me ever since I attempted lunges and squats last week. I either did something wrong as far as form (thought I was following the video as close as possible, but it's still possible I did it wrong) or squats/lunges are not for someone with knees that have a tendency to go out.

So because of this, I'm reluctant to start the cardio (running). Also because I'll actually have to go to the gym for that since there's ice on the ground outside and I don't have a treadmill. I'm so afraid that my knee won't allow me to train for another half marathon this year!

Also, I ate off plan today. Did great at breakfast, but at lunch I went out to lunch with my mom and we had sushi and some food that wasn't good at an Asian buffet and I actually went up for seconds. I TRIED to mostly take small portions of the bad stuff (like the noodle stirfry), but yum, it was so good. THEN we went to see a movie and we shared some movie popcorn. I didn't actually have a lot, but still. It's not low in calories.

@Jossfit - first of all, AMAZING pics of you and the food! You have an awesome body as far as I can see! I think we all feel like little piggies after the holidays! I know I do! Secondly, wow, good for you for going back to get your training degree!

@turbomammoth - oh boy do I hear you on the feeling fat. I'm too terrified to weigh myself!

@Alex - I got my workout idea from this visual impact for women program that I have on my ipad! I have the new rules of lifting for women, but I don't think I'm ready for that yet, I'm such a weakling and the squats scare me now that I'm afraid I did something to my knee while doing them before! I will hopefully strengthen myself more and then try the New Rules after I gains some muscle/strength/confidence!

@krampus - yup, I'm hurting today!

@petitepowerhouse - do you have your success story anywhere? You are so totally at my dream weight and it sounds like you were awesome with the weights - what did you do exactly to get there?

@Ohtheplaces - I bet we'll all shed those couple of holiday pounds pretty quickly! I imagine at least part of it is water retention from bloaty foods and alcohol!
olehcat is offline   Reply With Quote