Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 02:55 PM   #1  
~ Berry Happy ~

Question A question, maybe some one will know?

I am just a little confused as to how many calories I should consume each day, and how much fat grams each day?

I know when I first started losing, I tried to cut my calories to 1,000 and under a day, and my fat grams to 25 and under a day, which I now know is very unhealthy, and will actually slow my weight loss.

I just don't know what is "normal" for a day.

Any help is appreciated,

~ Kari ~
Old 09-25-2003, 04:28 PM   #2  

Go to the 3FC main page and look under weight loss tools. Go to the left hand side menu column and click on diet tools. Go to calculators. Then click on Calorie needs calculator. Enter your information in and it will tell you how many calories it takes to maintain the weight you are at. Most people say to cut that number by 500 to begin with and implement some exercise and you'll lose weight. Then when you plateau, cut your calorie intake by 100 calorie increments. I would not go any lower than 1500 until you talk to your Doctor though.

Hope that helps,
Lisa

PS This is the program I am on and it is working for me. It's slow, but steady. You might want to check out the thread called doing it the old fashioned way too, They have a ton of knowledge to share there.

Good Luck

Last edited by friendsforfitness; 09-25-2003 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:53 AM   #3  
Empress/Queen

Kari, just wanted to second that about not going under 1500 without the doc's approval. Another quick rule of thumb for how many calories you should eat a day is to multiply your weight by 10 if you are sedentary, 12 if moderately active and 15 if very active. That's maintenance, then you can either cut the 500 you need to cut to lose a pound a week by eating 500 less or eating 250 less and exercising 250 more ... or any combination of that, because as Lisa says, 500 less a day should do the trick for you.

Congratulations on your loss since April!!! You are doing fantastic!!!
Old 09-26-2003, 10:23 AM   #4  
~ Berry Happy ~

Default Thanks!

Thank you friendsforfitness and Amarantha I really appreciate the reply and the information!

I tried those calculators, and they are great! I cannot believe how I was cheating my body out of the calories it needed before!

Now I definatly know how many calories I should be getting each day. Thanks again!

~ Kari ~
Old 09-26-2003, 10:43 AM   #5  
Empress/Queen

You have a great attitude, Kari!!! Hope to see more of your posts on any of the various groups around here!!!
Old 09-26-2003, 10:43 AM   #6  

No problem Kari and sorry I left out the active part, I forgot about it. Glad we could help. BTW, I love your signature it's great!

Lisa
Old 09-26-2003, 06:54 PM   #7  
~ Berry Happy ~

Thanks so much

Closed Thread