Old 01-15-2013, 01:32 AM   #1  

Height: 5' 6"

Default Hi! New Member on here!

Hello! I'm a new member on here, and I decided to join because I'm going to be starting the Ideal Protein diet after my mom's friends had such success with it.

I'll start with telling you lovely people a little bit about myself:
- I'm 18 (19 soon) years old
- Enrolled in University
- Started at 253lbs, but now at 224 after doing the South Beach Diet, but have been struggling to lose more.
- There's something wrong with my thyroid -- which is the factor that I always blamed my weight on, but now I'm getting sick of making excuses, and decided to take control since my thyroid is becoming normal with the medicine I take.
- My sister's getting married in September and I'm the MOH. The bridal shower is in June.

My mom said that if I don't work really hard to lose this weight on Ideal Protein (my first appointment is on Thursday), then she'll be "forced" to send me to a "fat camp" to lose the weight before the wedding.

So, with that, I was wondering if any of you had any pieces of advice, or encouragement before I start this diet. I looked over their menu, and some foods look tolerable, but I also heard about "phases". What does each "phase" entail?

I'd really love to hear from some people!

Thank you!
twinklefairy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:02 AM   #2  
Start: Dec. 18, 2017

S/C/G: 211/210/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi and welcome. It is a right decision to join this forum as it is super helpful. I'd just like to say though, I want someone to send me to fat camp! And pay my bills while I'm there.

Seriously though, this diet is effective. It is quite strict and you need to be very disciplined to stick with it whilst in the midst of "college lifestyle".

Your question about phases is kind of huge..... I suggest read the first sticky first... and going to Dr. Tran Tien's website might be quite informative (http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?rubrique19). OTOH you will get a lot of info at your appointment as well so you may want to wait until then?
learning to fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 219/141/130

Height: 5'1''

Welcome! I found IP an easy diet to do with school and work because you don't have to think about your meals. Your breakfast, lunch and snack are easy (add a lettuce salad and 2 cups of veggies to lunch packet) + dinner is protein and another 2 cups of veggies. Add sea salt and 2 tsp of olive oil to your day and that is it for phase 1. It is quite simple and the pounds melt off. However, read and pay attention to which packets you are allowed (there are ones that are restricted to once a day and a few that are restricted to twice a week). Walk around campus at least 30 minutes a day and that is it. Read through the posts as well (esp the ones for newbies). This group is amazing-extremely supportive and helpful. Come back daily for chats and inspiration! All the best to you!
WorldTraveleronIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #4  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Welcome! This diet is completely amazing, but it does require a big mental commitment on your part - no cheats, no excuses! As with most things, you get out of it what you put in.

RE: The phases - as was mentioned you should browse through the Newbie thread, there are links to great information about the phases. If you are going through a clinic then all of that will be explained to you in greater detail as you progress with the diet, but here's the gist:

Phase 1: the weight loss phase. You eat 3 meal replacement packets, 4 cups of veggies and 6-8oz real meat protein every day. This is your way of life until you have reached your goal weight.

Phase 2: Transition phase. You are still restricted as on Phase 1 regarding what foods you can eat, but you use 2 meal replacements per day, and have a real meat protein meal at lunch AND dinner. Some clinics have you do this phase for a few days, some for 2 weeks. Your coach will let you know.

Phase 3: Reintroduction of carbs and "regular" eating. Meal replacements are phased out, and you eat a big breakfast that includes fats, carbs, and proteins all together. This is how you will do breakfast going forward. Lunch and dinner are the same as on Phase 2. This lasts about 2 weeks.

Phase 4: Maintenance.

Never hesitate to ask questions, this is a great place for information, helpful tips and support! Good luck!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 304/249/170

Height: 5'7"

Welcome - I have been encouraged to see all of the posters who have lost over 100 lbs from their starting weight. You can do it too.
mpstaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #6  
Restart IP 9/26/13

S/C/G: 208/185/140

Height: 5'6

Welcome! I too am a newbie. Started yesterday! I think you will do great, especially if you have done south beach for a while. The program is strict but so far for day one all my foods were very good. I actually wish I had known about this in my college yrs since I was a fulltime student and worked 80 hrs at times to be able to support myself. It is nice that foods are grab and go especially if you prepare your veggies ahead. Now, I just have a very busy work schedule and going to be working on my masters, so I am very glad I found IP.

I am a BM have at a wedding in March! Although I won't be at my goal weight, I hope I will be to be looking and feeling a lot better.

Sorry your mom is threatening a camp...but if you follow IP that won't be necessary!

Best of luck and we are all here for you!
Katkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

You need to make the commitment to do it. Make sure it is what you really want. Cheating will set you back. Stick with the plan and you will be rewarded. I started Oct 1, 2012 and have lost over 50 pounds already! All I've had to do was stick to the phase 1 sheet and plan ahead.

Someone else suggesting starting this on a weekend and I would recommend the same for you. The first couple of days can be a real challenge, but by day 3-4 your body adjusts and you feel much better.

My challenge to you is to commit 100% for 1 month. See where you are and then decide if it's worth it. I did just that and haven't looked back, best decision I've ever made. I just wish I would have done it when I was your age
sahmmommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #8  
Restart IP 9/26/13

Mandy! That is AMAZING!!!! 50 lbs, wow! You must feel so good about yourself!

Lol...our height and start weight is the same. Very cool so see someone with similar stats...I may need to pick your brain(along with many others) throughout my journey!

Kepp up the great work!....Did you exercise at all?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katkat View Post
Mandy! That is AMAZING!!!! 50 lbs, wow! You must feel so good about yourself!

Lol...our height and start weight is the same. Very cool so see someone with similar stats...I may need to pick your brain(along with many others) throughout my journey!

Kepp up the great work!....Did you exercise at all?
I am an alternative IP person so I don't buy IP products exclusively. However, feel free to ask me any questions.

I was walking 30 min./day 3 times a week prior to the new year, but I found myself being extremely tired, even with an extra packet so right now I've backed off a bit. I definitely wouldn't start any exercise until after the first month, give your body time to adjust to the changes. Honestly, if you're having consistent losses, I wouldn't even bother with the exercise because it can stall the weight loss. Especially if you weren't regularly exercising before you started IP. You'll have plenty of time to work in exercise once you meet your goal. I think it's much more important to focus on changing your eating habits.
sahmmommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #10  
Restart IP 9/26/13

Mandy-I am so new to this so this may be a silly q' but what is Alternative IP? Is there another company/program that is like IP?
Old 01-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #11  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katkat View Post
Mandy-I am so new to this so this may be a silly q' but what is Alternative IP? Is there another company/program that is like IP?
Not exactly. When you hear on the forums about people who use "alternatives" we are talking about using off-brand products that are nutritionally very similar to IP products. There are several threads regarding alternative products. The majority of IP coaches will NOT see clients who don't use IP products (understandably) so we use the information on this forum and out in the internet to follow the IP protocol just with different brand packets but without formal coaching or through centers.

Last edited by scorbett1103; 01-15-2013 at 02:04 PM.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #12  
IP start: 21 October 2012

S/C/G: 190.6/135.4/140

Welcome!

As others have said, check out the stickies at the top of the threads to find a lot of great info for newbies. Also, check out Katkat's thread that started a couple days ago on being a newbie and having some questions. Some good advice was posted there.

It's good that you have decided to take control of your weight and stop making excuses. Just make sure you are doing this for yourself and not for anyone else (e.g., your mother who wants to see you fit into that MOH dress). This plan is not difficult, but it is a no-cheat plan and takes commitment. This has to be about you!
pocahontas812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 263.3/254/165

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone I'm new to this site. This is the second time I'm trying IP. I tried it in 2010 and had absolutely no support and had medical issue. Now in 2013 medical issues resolved and have been on IP for 1 week had my first weigh-in on Monday with a 9.6 loss. I was extremely happy and hope that I can stick with it. This forum is so full of support, inspiration, recipies and great ideas. I'd just like to say a great big HI to everyone.
pootyboomboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 212/209/160

Height: 5' 7"

Hi everyone,

I am a new member as well. I tried this diet last March and lost about 15 pounds. I then, however, hit many months of depression and went on meds and gained it all back plus 15 pounds!! So, I am 'starting over' I am on day 9 (yes I am counting days this time!) and am down three pounds. I know this diet works and I really want to stick with it. I am glad to see the motivation on here.
Good luck all!
eatingfromacan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 164.8/150.5/128 1) -4.8,2)-3.2

Height: 5' 4"

Before you go on this diet, you may want to run it by your doctor first and ask his opinion, given your thyroid issue. The majority of the products include soy and that can affect your thyroid. Your doctor may alter your medicine to adjust or suggest avoiding the soy products, or say go for it. But, before spending the money I'd get his/her advice.
PamC is offline   Reply With Quote