Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-05-2013, 11:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Starting NROL4W--Anyone else?

I've finished my second phase 1 workout and am feeling great! Well, pretty sore actually. But loving it. . Anyone else out there doing this program right now? I'd love some people to chat with about how it's going.
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

I made it to phase 3 before tiring of it. It was my first full body workout routine. I'm partial to Upper/Lower training. I did get bored with it so I left it for another. I do know a lot of people love it though.
kmac1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #3  

Sorry to hear you tired of it. Why do you think that happened? Because you prefer the upper/lower body training better? I don't have anything else to go off of because I'm entirely new to weight lifting.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Actually, I just started it. Finished my very first week and wow, was I feeling it those first two days. Looking forward to improving my weights though.
Sibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #5  

Yay Sibi! I was beginning to think I was the only one out there. I've now done 6 workouts and am starting to get into a groove. My last few workouts I upped the weights and have been feeling it. I've been walking around sore for a few days afterwards. I wish the authors had given some starting weight guidelines because I have been just making this up by myself as I go.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 137/112/105

Height: 5'0

I also just started this..I've done only 2 workouts so far, but I feel awesome!! I love feeling strong!
slowloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #7  

Slowloser--Yay! I hope you're up for chatting about it. I've only done about 7 workouts. I can already tell that I'm getting stronger. Tonight I did a set of squats with 30 pound dumbbells and ended up feeling that it wasn't nearly enough. I pumped it up to 40 pounds each and felt very satisfied with the burn. I'm feeling great too. I think this could get addicting.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

I just finished reading it and plan on figuring out when I want to fit in my workouts/review how to go about it since I have never weight lifted before. I'll post again after workout one and tell you what I think
Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #9  

Rated--I found that it took some time to get organized, but now that I've got preprinted logs, all the equipment I need (I'm doing this at home) and a system in place that I'm rolling. It's worth the time up front. Definitely report back after you start!
Old 01-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Yeah I feel like I need to organize everything. I have the logs printed now I just have to go through the exercises to make sure I have everything. I am also doing it at home and I live in the middle of no where so I might have to improvise some of the exercises. My plan is to finish organizing tonight and start the workout tomorrow or Thursday
Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #11  
California licensed CPA!

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'8

I've always lifted weights like the men do! I'm really strong and have a lot of muscle, too...BUT, I am a little chubby right now and only diet can help. Weight-lifting is amazing, but it doesn't rid you of the chub
Syckgirlsfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 137/112/105

Height: 5'0

I finished my third workout today and was surprised that my push ups (at a 50% incline) were much easier then the first day! I still can't do regular push ups, but I didn't expect to see an improvement this quickly, especially with push ups cause I've always struggled with them!
slowloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #13  

Thanks for the info Syckgirlsfv! Any tips for us newbies? I feel sort of "out there" with just me, my book, and my weights in my garage. I'm starting weight lifting after having lost most of my weight--and I'm still dieting to go down more. I sure wish I could take one of you experienced lifters out in my garage with me--if even for one workout!

Slowloser--Those pushups are a $@&ch, aren't they!? In my youth, my arms were really strong and I remember doing 40 or more real pushups at a time. I've moved from 5 real/10 modified to 15 real in the few weeks I've been doing this. They aren't as low as they should be yet, but I can definitely feel the progress. And I'm adding weight already for all the other exercises. By the way, for home use I am using a 170 pound weight set with a barbell, 50 pound adjustable dumbbells, a step ladder, a Swiss ball and a weight bench. I might have been able to get by with less, but this seems good for now.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #14  
California licensed CPA!

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'8

if you are looking to get stronger, just when you feel like you've done the last rep you can, do one more. Do you have a bench? If so, the bench press (with your barbell) will really help you with push-ups, and vice versa. I've been benching for 10 years and my one rep max is 150, but I haven't hit that in a while. I usually stick to going up to maybe 105-115 at most these days, which is the 45 pound barbell loaded with a quarter and a nickel (or dime) on each side. I think you've just motivated me to start working on my bench more so that I can get back to my one rep max!

Needless to say, though, benching has made it so that I can do 20 military style push-ups inside of a minute I only know this because my step class instructor has us try to do as many as we can in one minute, and most of the class can't do more than 5 military style. (knees NOT on the ground)

I have lots of good tips , my husband is huge and benches 400 and his biceps are over 18 inches - he's been my drill sargent for years but I do admit we both kind of slacked for a year due to burn out...but we're back!
Syckgirlsfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #15  

Syckgirls--Benchpressing 150 is awesome! I have a bench, but unfortunately no bar to hold the weights for a bench press. Maybe my hubby could help... You are so lucky to have a built in drill sergeant! If only I had someone to kick me in the butt. I'm doing it all on my own as the rest of my family relaxes on most days. Don't ask how I'm mustering the motivation! Would you mind if I periodically used you as my consultant when stuff comes up about weight lifting? At any rate, welcome back to lifting! Go get busy on that bench press.

Any tips you can think of would be greatly appreciated!