Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 03:22 PM   #1  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Default 10/31 Hallowe....will NOT be eating CANDY!!!!

I saw Emma's post but feel this is probably an area we all need ideas in...especially with so many new Atkin's followers. Let's list some suggestions for avoiding temptation during this month.

Here are my two:
1. I agree with Leens - I DO NOT buy any chocolate anymore! I buy those sour gummy things the kids loves, and nerds and anything that my taste buds hate! If my 7 yr old loves it, that means I usually hate it.

2. Buy those little gift bags from Party City and pre-package your candies for the kids with ribbon TIED TIGHTLY!!! It looks pretty and now WHY would you dip into the bowl and unwrap a pretty bag, and then unwrap candy etc????? Hummmm maybe this year some of us will need to wrap it in 3 layers???
Old 09-26-2003, 03:33 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I have ever intention NOT to fail during halloween, this will not destroy my efforts PERIOD ! I refuse to let this silly day get me.

Christmas is another story lolol that one will be tough but I am going to plan for the holidays. I will allow myself to have a day here and there but not every day and not 2 days in a row NO NO NO NO !!!!! Thanksgiving too

I'm w/yah Kim, we owe this to ourselves.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:12 PM   #3  
Each Bite of Sugar...

Default "Special" Occasions

DH and I were talking about this last night. I told him that I couldn't cheat on this new WOE - and turned him down when he offered me potato chips.

I told him that the baby shower I'm going to on Saturday isn't worth cheating for... I don't even think I'll really need to cheat on Thanksgiving what with all the good Turkey and veggies that will be there. I am planning on making a good low-carb pumpkin pie or cheesecake for dessert so I can have at least one treat.

Christmas I will cheat - I'm just going to plan that now. Our birthdays (they are within a week of each other so we celebrate them together), I will probably cheat. Our annual family reunion in August, I will probably cheat. But, that's about it. I can't think of any other times that are really worth it to me or my body. BUT, I know those special days are coming and they will be worth every evil carbohydrate I consume.

Just chiming in here...
Old 09-26-2003, 04:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/260/200

I haven't thought of that, but the only thing that will work for me is that I won't be buying candy AT ALL for the house - sorry kids! I'll take my daughter to trick or treat, and we usually hide her candy anyway and she takes some to school each day. I'll just have hubby do that for me, hopefully, I won't be tempted. But as for buying candy, that would be the ULTIMATE weakness for me - just two weeks ago, hubby bought a bag of Almond Joys, those were gone in about three days - they were SUPPOSED to be for Halloween!!!
Old 09-26-2003, 05:09 PM   #5  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

That's another whole topic on its own...
How many bags of Halloween candy have you eaten befor 10/31 in years past?

Old 09-27-2003, 01:01 PM   #6  

well, I took a little trip to Dollar World today....

and oh happy day! I found a way to buy something for halloween that isn't something I would eat!!! I got little plastic spiders, big glow in the dark flashlights (I was thinking this is a safety based halloween gift) and this flubbery type green stuff that glows in the dark.
I tested it out on my cousins and they LOVED it, they especially liked the green stuff that felt like snot....yek!
Old 09-29-2003, 12:23 PM   #7  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

I think I will be okay...the trick for me is not to have ANY...if I have one or some...I will want more and more!

I currently have a candy dish filled with jelly beans on my desk. This is the office treat and I have many visitors during the day dipping in.

When I started Atkins (end of May).....I was unsure what to do with my jelly bean dish??? I knew many people would be very disappointed with its disappearance and I would miss my many visitors....

So I left it on my desk! I can see it now....but I don't dare touch it or eat from it. I can honestly say that since May 26 not a single jelly bean has passed these lips. (and yes I have had a few sf ones once in a while). It has been tempting at times, especially when stress hits, but I know if I have one..it will all be over.

For Hallowe'en I will try and be good...maybe keep a lot of sf gum around to chomp on should the urge hit! I will buy treats to give out, but will try and keep it to something I really don't enjoy. (The tougher part will be keeping out of the kiddie's loot!).

Froufy
Old 09-29-2003, 03:19 PM   #8  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

Too be honest, I really dont want candy at all! Even Reese's Peanutbutter cups! Those were always my favorites! DH just bought some and I didnt eat any of them! That is a first! So I really dont think that Halloween will be a problem at all for me.
Old 10-11-2003, 02:22 AM   #9  

I convinced my 12 year old that she was too old to trick or treat and we live out in the sticks, so no kids will be coming by. I still have my SF chocolate when I want it bad enough, and the rest of the time I am fine. Going to Ryans (steak house) for Thanksgiving..so Christmas will be my hard spot.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:13 AM   #10  

I don't think Halloween will be a problem. Sugar gives me such wicked heartburn, that I haven't been tempted. When I want a treat, the Endulge bars work well for me. Thanksgiving is kinda scary to think about. We are going to my Dad's and I always make this really yummy bread, not sure yet how this one will work out. The fact that when I do blow it, I feel like crap really helps!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2003, 12:34 PM   #11  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I love chocolates, still do and I still crave them. I mean anything, KitKats, Pnut M&Ms are my favorite, pnut butter cups, mars, almond joy, snickeeeeeeeeers !, you name it, I love it. Thats why I couldn't do it.

Usually every year I give out the full size candy bars (boy the kids are gonna egg my house this year lol ) and I even thought about buying the bite size ones but I think they are more dangerous then the big bars. I bet you I'd eat 25 pieces of the little ones compaired to only one big one... bad candy bad bad candy !!

So I opt to buy chewy rubbery gross candy this year lololol

Sorry kids but for once your gonna have to take a back seat, just this once okay maybe again next year
Old 10-13-2003, 09:04 AM   #12  
reaching my goals

I hadn't even thought of what I would get for Halloween Trick or Treaters. The last few years I either lived in an area with no children or had to work away from home for that day. I like all candies pretty much except for licorice. I might have to go another route.

Lisa, if you come up with a good lo carb pumpkin pie recipe please send it my way. My diabetic mom came to visit last Christmas and I was determined to make her eat appropriately---to her dismay. I made a pumpkin pie but without the pie shell. I can't remember the ingredients of the pie but just eliminating the crust removed a lot of the carbs. It firmed up nicely and cut just like a regular pumpkin pie. I love cheesecake also so that would be an awesome recipe to get.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:09 PM   #13  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

I am so proud of myself....I went out and bought my halloween candy and bought all the stuff that I really don't like. NO CHOCOLATE at all!!! Just that chewy starburst stuff. Now if I can just resist the goodies the boys bring home. Shouldn't be too bad though....they still have Easter stuff. lol...actually, time to throw all that out!!!
Old 10-13-2003, 09:51 PM   #14  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

I've made this cheesecake http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/dessert111.html and can vouch that it is YUMMY!

And for pumpkin pie try: http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/rrecipe014.html (don't like pumpkin pie so I have not made this one).

Good luck

Froufy
Closed Thread