Old 01-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #1  

Default IP vs. south beach diet

Hi, I am new to the board.

I am considering doing the IP diet. Just wondering what is the difference between this diet and south beach diet? In the past I have done south beach diet and been successful with it. A friend has done the IP diet and has lost a lot of weight but she also had hair loss.

The hair loss is scaring me.
Lstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #2  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstorm76 View Post
Hi, I am new to the board.

I am considering doing the IP diet. Just wondering what is the difference between this diet and south beach diet? In the past I have done south beach diet and been successful with it. A friend has done the IP diet and has lost a lot of weight but she also had hair loss.

The hair loss is scaring me.
The hair loss is unfortunately a side effect of ANY rapid fat loss program. Someone had posted a pretty comprehensive explanation of why it happens in the past, but I believe that the release of hormones when a person drops a lot of fat causes some hair follicles to go "dormant". The hair does grow back once you've been off the weight loss phase for a while. Taking a Biotin supplement may help lessen the effects.

The biggest difference between IP and Atkins is that IP is low carb AND low fat. Atkins doesn't restrict fats. And I found IP to be a much more comprehensive program, between the meal replacement products and the supplements you don't have to worry about whether you are getting the proper nutrients.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #3  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

As scorbett said, it all depends on how much and how fast you lose, regardless of the particular weight loss program/diet, so that should not be your determining factor in evaluating one plan over another.
bubbleblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #4  

Height: magmeepEVE

I haven't had hair loss (yet ), and I'm close to goal. I have been taking a biotin supplement each day, so that may have helped. My hair is actually in the best shape it's been in years.

I, too, was worried about the hair loss prior to starting IP.
Starshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/148.0/160

Height: 5'11"

The South Beach diet is also "lower" carb and low fat, however the low carb phase is higher in carbs than IP and higher in calories. If you follow the phases of the South Beach diet, after 2 weeks you begin to add back carbs. I have done both programs and I think you can be successful at both, however I have been more successful with IP. I think that the meal replacements have helped me with structure and figuring out what to eat. I lost weight with SB but I would always get to a certain point and stop losing. I think I tended to eat too much and then would get frustrated. It is easier for me to follow a strict plan and not cheat. I have never been as successful with another plan as I have with IP. I do think that the SB plan is a healthy way to eat for maintenance, and I will probably work towards that type of eating after finishing the phases of IP.
gazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 304/249/170

Height: 5'7"

This book explains how IP works.....I suggest you look at it and see what the science is behind IP since you already understand South Beach. http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/IMG...re_Dr_Tran.pdf
mpstaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #7  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazelle View Post
The South Beach diet is also "lower" carb and low fat, however the low carb phase is higher in carbs than IP and higher in calories. If you follow the phases of the South Beach diet, after 2 weeks you begin to add back carbs. I have done both programs and I think you can be successful at both, however I have been more successful with IP. I think that the meal replacements have helped me with structure and figuring out what to eat. I lost weight with SB but I would always get to a certain point and stop losing. I think I tended to eat too much and then would get frustrated. It is easier for me to follow a strict plan and not cheat. I have never been as successful with another plan as I have with IP. I do think that the SB plan is a healthy way to eat for maintenance, and I will probably work towards that type of eating after finishing the phases of IP.
Oh man - sorry about my error, I missed it was a ? about SB not Atkins, someone had just been asking me about Atkins bars on IP and I had it on the brain

On that note, I agree with this post wholeheartedly - the meal replacements made the program very easy to follow, and because I only have to prepare one real "meal" a day I am VERY conscious about what I'm eating and measuring everyting. That kind of awareness pays off huge in maintenance. I will also probably use many SB recipes in maintenance.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #8  
IP Reboot: 01/06/17

S/C/G: 190.3/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I haven't noticed any more hair loss than normal since I've been on IP. Maybe it just varies from person to person?
starsandrockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #9  

Op here
Thank you all for replying. I keep going back in forth with wether or not I should do the IP diet. The concerns I have are hair loss and if I would like the food. I do plan on taking biotin, so hopefully that would help. I am 146 lbs and I would like to get to 120-125lbs., so I'm hoping I would not have too be on this diet for too long.

You see with the south beach diet everything you are eating is fresh. With the IP majority is not. If I can be more successful with IP, then I would like to give it a try.
Lstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/132/140

Height: 5'6.5"

I was very successful with SB 9 years ago and considered it a good way of eating (WOE) for life. I lost weight and improved my blood profiles. Last year, it was very difficult to lose with SB and exercise, and I found it hard to stay on the plan. (I am menopausal now.) I have had good losses with IP. SB is WAY MORE work than IP with all the food shopping and prep. Packets, produce, and proteins are all I need for IP, and I can easily pass by everything else in the grocery store. SB is real food, but I can use packets for a time to get the results I need. IP has also shown me that I can not add as many carbs back into my daily diet. I plan to follow a paleo type diet in P3 & P4 after reading Wheat Belly (and other books).

ETA: I have not had hair loss and have been on IP for nearly 3 months.

Last edited by psjones; 01-13-2013 at 07:52 PM.
psjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

I think like others, IP is easier to get a grip on portion (because it is preportioned) and less subjective. I do think South Beach is "how" everybody should eat, so it will come in handy for maintenance. AS for the Hair_Loss, when I did IP in 2011, I didn't lose hair until about month 4 and it wasn't alot, but it was evident. like others have said, take your "B"s and any loss will grow back.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #12  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstorm76 View Post
Op here
Thank you all for replying. I keep going back in forth with wether or not I should do the IP diet. The concerns I have are hair loss and if I would like the food. I do plan on taking biotin, so hopefully that would help. I am 146 lbs and I would like to get to 120-125lbs., so I'm hoping I would not have too be on this diet for too long.

You see with the south beach diet everything you are eating is fresh. With the IP majority is not. If I can be more successful with IP, then I would like to give it a try.
True - though remember that you are eating 8oz of real meat protein and 4 full cups of veggies every day on IP - it's not all space food In the end, you definitely need to decide what will work best for you! In my case, I could deal with the meal replacements in the short term because I needed the convenience and simplicity of IP to be successful. It has given me time to really process how I will plan to eat in maintenance, in the middle of my crazy schedule. I feel much more prepared mentally and emotionally for the long run, the strict regimen of IP kept me from being overwhelmed by food choices and meal planning - so I haven't given up Good luck in whatever you choose!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 304/249/170

Height: 5'7"

I have seen many posts that refer to 8 oz of meat protein, but I thought it was only 5 oz of meat or 7 oz of fish/seafood? Would anyone care to clarify?
mpstaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 197/132/140

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpstaton View Post
I have seen many posts that refer to 8 oz of meat protein, but I thought it was only 5 oz of meat or 7 oz of fish/seafood? Would anyone care to clarify?
It is 8 ounces of fish, seafood, beef, poultry ,pork, or veal with no frying or breading. The suggested options are listed on the P1 sheet.
psjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #15  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpstaton View Post
There have been revisions to the protocol sheet, the most recent one is from June 2012. It seems there are a lot of clinics that are handing out outdated protocols. You can find the most recent update here:

http://www.idealtogo.com/Library/Fase%201%20-%20ITG.pdf