Old 01-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #1  
Restart date: 01.07.2013

Height: 5'4"

Default Setting goals?

Do you set goals for the scale? Part of me wants to set a short term goal and the other part of me thinks it is not a good idea. My reasoning is if I am 100% OP and working the IP program then I will lose and I can't "control" what my body does each week. The other part of me wants a goal to reach for.

So, do you set scale goals?
mommyIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #2  

I set short term goals and have little or big rewards for myself. My first goal was 10% of my body weight (which my coach could not calculate and rounded up to 31lbs!) I got a facial for reaching that goal. My second goal is to reach 203 which will put me in the overweight category and out of obese. I think I will get a bracelet or a charm or some piece of jewelry then. I think short term goals are important becuz they tell you "good job! keep going!" and I have a long way to go still. For me looking only at the big pic i sometimes overwhelming so the goals help me focus on little pieces of weight loss
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyIP View Post
Do you set goals for the scale? Part of me wants to set a short term goal and the other part of me thinks it is not a good idea. My reasoning is if I am 100% OP and working the IP program then I will lose and I can't "control" what my body does each week. The other part of me wants a goal to reach for.

So, do you set scale goals?
Yes, goals, but not the timeline to acheive the goal.
They are in my signature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maezy1 View Post
I set short term goals and have little or big rewards for myself. My first goal was 10% of my body weight (which my coach could not calculate and rounded up to 31lbs!) I got a facial for reaching that goal. My second goal is to reach 203 which will put me in the overweight category and out of obese. I think I will get a bracelet or a charm or some piece of jewelry then. I think short term goals are important becuz they tell you "good job! keep going!" and I have a long way to go still. For me looking only at the big pic i sometimes overwhelming so the goals help me focus on little pieces of weight loss
Your coach couldn't move a decimal point?
268 x .1= 26.8
10% is the easy calculation.
Instead, she rounded "up" almost 5 lbs!
Goodness. We really DO need this forum, don't we?!?
Moral: don't rely on coaches! LOL
(I'm a teacher and I'm very embarrassed for the education programs in this country!)

I'm with you, tho. I'll need my coach after P1 BIGTIME!
(and she does mental math WAY better than me!) LOL

Last edited by lisa32989; 01-13-2013 at 12:24 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Height: 5'5"

I have somewhat loose goals. Last year I wanted to look good (meaning not embarrassed) in my new bathing suit by the 4th of July. No real weight associated with that - just wanted to feel comfortable in my skin, knowing so much of it was showing. I met that goal.

Now I've gained back 15 pounds and am on way down again, plus want to lose a few extra so I have a bigger buffer for maintenance. To lose the full 20 pounds could take me 3 months if the last few pounds decide to linger a little. So the new loose goal is to get to goal weight by 3/30/13 and start phase 2.

Last edited by Chloe222; 01-13-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Chloe222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 325/312/190

Height: 5'6

I really struggled with setting a final goal weight. When asked at the clinic, I said 60lbs, because I didn't think that 120lbs would ever be achievable. After 8 weeks on the program, I'm actually thinking it might be possible.

As far as short term goals, I am rewarding myself with a charm bracelet and a new charm for every 10lbs loss (got the idea from these boards).

I am also participating in the 30lbs by Valentine's Challenge, which I find a good motivator also. That's the only goal that I currently have with a timeline.

Of course, I hope for great results on the scale each week, but I think that if I were to put a weight goal for each week (e.g. 3lbs per week), I would get discouraged. There are so many variables week-by-week (TOM, big loss previous week, water retention, etc.) that you really can't control.
1LittleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 184/138/130

Height: 5'-4"

I am also struggling with setting a final goal. I am not sure if i should set a lbs goal or a body fat percentage goal. When I started my IP journey, the lbs goal I set seemed so unobtainable it felt like more of a joke. I am now 5 lbs away from that goal and am really feeling like I need to go farther. My coach really hasn't had much input.

What are everyone's thoughts on lb goals vs body fat percentage goals?
mparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 184/138/130

Height: 5'-4"

BTW.... the goal in my signature has been updated from 140 (original) to 130.....
mparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 244/221/150

Height: 5'6"

Every 10 lbs lost is a mini goal for me. So far, I've met my first mini goal - I bought myself a book - I love reading.
My second mini goal - I think I may go in for a Pedicure, or a piece of jewellery.
And so on..
Then a midway goal, gotta be something big. Not yet sure what that is!
meena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #9  
Started IP 4/4/2012

S/C/G: 267.8/150/150

Height: 5'5'

I set goals along the way for myself- every 25 pounds an Alex & Ani bracelet. I might get an expenisive one for the 100#, something to really comemorate it. I also noted 10%, Onederland, out of obesity into overweight, etc. I don't set time limits, I'm 100% OP so my body will loose in it's own time line.

For my final goal weight I'd like to be in the "normal" range for body fat with a pretty good cushion, I'm thinking size 10 jeans- right now i'm in 14's. Not sure what weight that will be.

Progress photos!!! I have my DH take one of me at the end of each month - boy are those a motivator!!!

I also carry a photo I found of me last Christmas (2011) - holy moly what a difference!!!

Last edited by Lynnie63; 01-30-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Lynnie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #10  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

I set very flexible "scale" goals and did NOT set any body fat % goals. The scales are NOT accurate measurements of body fat (the only way to accurately measure BF is by displacement or Xray, the next closest thing is a calipers measurement from your doctor). I am much more concerned with how I feel, and how hard or easy maintaining a particular weight will be. Could I get down to the 140's if I stayed on Phase 1 longer? Probably. But to KEEP that weight would require more of me mentally and physically than I really want to put in or have time for. I am shooting for a good balance between healthy weight, moderate exercise, and healthy eating. The numbers will just be a trend tracker at that point, not the judge and jury.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

I think scorbett has it right. Get to a point where you feel good and will not have to struggle to maintain. Maintenance is extremely hard work!

I think mini goals provide incentive along the way.
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote