Old 01-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #1  
IP Start date 12/18/12

S/C/G: 228.4/171/165

Height: 5 ft 10 inches

Default Indian Food

Hi everyone,
I ask these questions after I think I do a search for the questions already asked and haven't found them. So, I sincerely apologize if this has been asked before. My friend is coming into town and she wants to go out for Indian food. Have you had a successful experience at an Indian restaurant? What did you order?

Best
Rebecca
BeccaGrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #2  

Indian food is one of my favorites but I have stayed away since starting IP. If I do go, I would have the Tandori chicken, no rice but try to get some steamed veggies.
Willi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 219/141/130

Height: 5'1''

I don't think you are even safe with the tandoori...a lot of Indian restaurants use ghee and cream or thick yogurt in their tandoori marinade. Seek out a restaurant (esp one that does is willing to work with you), call ahead and ask if there are any dishes that can be made without cream or ghee. My husband is Indian and our complaint with Indian restaurants outside of India is they make all their dishes with cream and ghee-even the vegetarian ones. I avoid Indian restaurants on IP and cook it at home. Perhaps your friend can compromise and go out for Thai or Indonesian where you can order meat skewers and veggies? I hope you find a restaurant willing to work with you.
WorldTraveleronIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #4  

I went once with friends. I asked a LOT of questions. I didn't use any olive oil that day and didn't stress about the kind of fat they used. I just told them I wanted the meat and vegetables and no sauce or rice. They kept saying "no rice?" about 5 times. They just couldn't believe it!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 219/141/130

Height: 5'1''

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I went once with friends. I asked a LOT of questions. I didn't use any olive oil that day and didn't stress about the kind of fat they used. I just told them I wanted the meat and vegetables and no sauce or rice. They kept saying "no rice?" about 5 times. They just couldn't believe it!
LOL! Yes, my husband eats so much rice (daily), it shocked me when we first started dating. Indian plates will have rice as the focus with little cups of a meat, veggies and pickles on the side. I am used to protein being the focus and rice and veggies being on the side. When we go to India, his family is always concerned by the small amount of rice I accept at meals. I'm often asked if I want some more rice or questioned as to why I only took a small spoon. I'm Italian, so my preferred carbs are bread and pasta
WorldTraveleronIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 182/150/144

Height: 5'2.5"

You might consider making a special request of the kitchen for this meal. A friend of mine from India recently wanted to have my family over for a traditional Indian meal. We went through the list of all my restrictions and all the dishes she could make (she's a wonderful cook!) It was hard for her to to find something that was 100% OP. She ended up making me Tandori chicken with only spices, no yogurt or off-program items, and baked cauliflower with some basic Indian spices. Plus she also made a roasted goat meat dish...she made a rice dish to serve it over, and yogurt sauce to go with it, but cooked them separately for me. She also made several other dishes that looked and smelled wonderful but which we both knew would be strictly off-limits for Ideal Protein. I managed to eat OP except for this one thing: sodium. Though I did tell her I used sea salt only, there was a ton of sodium in her spicing...and she spices heavily. I retained a couple of lbs of water afterwards but it went away in a few days.
Nolawhodatchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #7  
IP Start date 12/18/12

S/C/G: 228.4/171/165

Height: 5 ft 10 inches

Thanks!
BeccaGrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 150/123.4/115

Height: 5'2

best bet may be tandoori shrimp

they probably will not do a special marinade for you, marination indian style is overnight
sonyainva is offline   Reply With Quote