Old 01-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #1  

Height: 5'0"

Question Should I do IP?

Hello all,

I've been debating starting Ideal Protein for a couple months now, mostly because I tried Nutrisystem before, and that was an expensive mistake! I don't want to make another expensive mistake!

But my main question is that since I only have 35 pounds to lose, will Ideal Protein work for me? I'm 5'0" and weigh 145ih currently (I waver between 140 and 150).

I'm going to a seminar this week at my local Ideal Protein place. The seminar is a requirement before starting it.. I'm kind of nervous and I know that there are amazing testimonies out there about it, but because I have less to lose I'm just wondering.

Any input would be helpful and super appreciated!
HGantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

Hello!! Go to the seminar and see if it for you. It all depends on what you are looking for. One of the 1st people I know on IP only had to lose about 40lbs.

We are here when/if you need us!!
NinjaNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 164.8/150.5/128 1) -4.8,2)-3.2

Height: 5' 4"

I'm looking to lose about 35 pounds. I'm in my second week and it's going well. I got talked into doing IP. One of my best friends is doing it, and we share an office together and are usually bad influences on each other as we're both foodies, love to cook, go out to eat, etc. I wanted to do Weight Watchers, as I've done it before and know it works...if you stick to the plan. My friend Jen reminded me that we've tried WW a few times over the past few years and it hasn't worked for us because we haven't stuck to it. It's too easy to get off track and hard to catch up. We fell into the routine of losing 2 or 3 during the week and putting them back on over the weekend.

So, I agreed to try IP. It definitely takes some getting used to. The first week is the hardest, but after the initial weigh in, I started feeling better and was encouraged to see the scale move down and inches off.

What I like about IP is that it's a very clear plan with limited choices...which for me is good as it keeps me on track. I had never even heard of IP, but my friend's friend, who is a nurse, has lost almost 30 pounds on it and is another person looking to lose about 30-35 pounds, like Jen and myself.

So, it seems to me like there are a lot of people doing IP that are looking to lose 30-40 pounds. So far, I am down almost 10 pounds (my second weigh-in is on Tuesday, but my home scale is making me happy til then) and I've lost 3 inches off my waist. That happened this week.

See what you think at the seminar. IP may be a good idea for you, or not.

Good luck!
Pam
PamC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Whether you do the IP diet or not you should educate yourself on how fat loss or gain works and the IP diet is terrible in this regard. Fortunately Three Fat Chicks is a fantastic resource so you should stick around whether you chose to do the IP diet, or not.

In my opinion the reason for the seminar is not to educate you about the IP diet it is to sell you on the IP diet and I am willing to bet they will have a special price if you sign up on the spot. Nothing wrong with this except that I'm fairly certain they're going to be making some lofty claims and seriously misleading you about how fat loss works.

Be aware; there is nothing special about the IP diet nor the IP products. The protocol works because it restricts calories. The only reason in my opinon to sign up for the IP diet is if your local clinic provides excellent coaching and you're the kind of person who heavily benefits from in person coaching and accountability. From what I've seen the information you'll get here is significantly better than what most clinics provide.

Personally, if I was going to follow the IP protocol, I would do it with alternative products.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #5  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

When I started, I had 27 pounds to lose to get to my goal weight. After about 5 weeks, I'm about halfway there. I learned over the last couple of years that nothing else worked for me. This does.

I had a couple of friends who had great results with IP last year. They each had about 40 pounds to lose. After seeing their results, I got on the program the next week and never looked back.
bubbleblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #6  
Starting over: 7/29/2015

S/C/G: 257/251/150

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Whether you do the IP diet or not you should educate yourself on how fat loss or gain works and the IP diet is terrible in this regard. Fortunately Three Fat Chicks is a fantastic resource so you should stick around whether you chose to do the IP diet, or not.

In my opinion the reason for the seminar is not to educate you about the IP diet it is to sell you on the IP diet and I am willing to bet they will have a special price if you sign up on the spot. Nothing wrong with this except that I'm fairly certain they're going to be making some lofty claims and seriously misleading you about how fat loss works.

Be aware; there is nothing special about the IP diet nor the IP products. The protocol works because it restricts calories. The only reason in my opinon to sign up for the IP diet is if your local clinic provides excellent coaching and you're the kind of person who heavily benefits from in person coaching and accountability. From what I've seen the information you'll get here is significantly better than what most clinics provide.

Personally, if I was going to follow the IP protocol, I would do it with alternative products.
Just curious: why would you choose alternatives? If you listen to the "propoganda", IP products are superior because they use superior ingredients--hence the higher cost.
tam67green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #7  

Quote:

Actually, IP is not just about calories. There definitely IS something special about the diet and products. They are designed to be low carb and low fat with just the right amount of protein. The body burns carbohydrates for energy first, and this diet restricts carbs so that the body has to turn to alternate sources for fuel. When you are in a state of ketosis, which is what this is designed to do, you will be burning your own body fat, so it's like your body gets extra calories by consuming that fat. That's why you will see more rapid weight loss and especially inches on this diet.

I'm a bit of a nervous nellie about anything medical or health wise and always read the fine print. I researched this heavily before deciding to do it.

Last edited by PamC; 01-12-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #8  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam67green View Post
Just curious: why would you choose alternatives? If you listen to the "propoganda", IP products are superior because they use superior ingredients--hence the higher cost.
They don't use superior ingredients. I've covered this in detail before but all you have to do is read what the products contain and you'll see there is nothing superior about them.

That said - some people really benefit from in person coaching and accountability so if the local clinic provides good coaching it is well worth paying for.

If not - you're paying additional dollars for nothing - in my opinion.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #9  

Height: 5'0"

Thank you all for the encouragement, I know about three people that have told me to try it but two had to lose 70 pounds and the other wanted to lose 90. I just wanted to make sure that it would be okay to for someone that only wants to lose 35. I'm glad that there are people speaking up that wanted/needed to the lose the same amount as me, it makes me feel so much more comfortable! I do think I am going to try it out after what I learn at the seminar.
I understand that they just might want to sell me on it, but I've been a sales person for five years, I know how to handle myself. But I thank you John.
I might do it with alternative products to try and save some money but that is pending more research. I'm so glad I found 3 Fat Chicks! Seems like such an awesome community! Thank you again!
HGantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #10  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamC View Post
Actually, IP is not just about calories. There definitely IS something special about the diet and products. They are designed to be low carb and low fat with just the right amount of protein. The body burns carbohydrates for energy first, and this diet restricts carbs so that the body has to turn to alternate sources for fuel. When you are in a state of ketosis, which is what this is designed to do, you will be burning your own body fat, so it's like your body gets extra calories by consuming that fat. That's why you will see more rapid weight loss and especially inches on this diet.

I'm a bit of a nervous nellie about anything medical or health wise and always read the fine print. I researched this heavily before deciding to do it.
I understand what you're saying and back in April 2009 I would have agreed with you. Since then I've done a significant amount of reading. Without boring you on the details I'll summarize some facts. Feel free to ask me to clarify any of these points.

The IP diet is a PSMF type of diet. (Google PSMF)

You only lose fat when you're in an energy deficit. Ketosis is not required for the body to burn off it's fat stores. The state of ketosis only means that your body has a lot of ketone bodies floating around. Ketosis provides some benefits of mood and energy in some people but you lose fat rapidly because you're not consuming many calories on the IP diet.

The "right amount" of protein to retain LBM is highly debateable even amoung experts but the IP diet protocol makes no differentiation between a 4'11" female and a 6'8" male for protein requirements so on that basis alone I am certain the IP protocol is not providing the body with "just the right amount"

This doesn't mean the IP diet doesn't work. It does work. It just doesn't work because of the reasons you're told when you sign up at the local clinic.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #11  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGantt View Post
I understand that they just might want to sell me on it, but I've been a sales person for five years, I know how to handle myself. But I thank you John.
Cool. I've been in sales my entire life. One thing about any good salesperson though is that we're easily sold. That is what makes us good salespeople. We want to believe.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #12  

Quote:
I understand what you're saying and back in April 2009 I would have agreed with you. Since then I've done a significant amount of reading. Without boring you on the details I'll summarize some facts. Feel free to ask me to clarify any of these points.

The IP diet is a PSMF type of diet. (Google PSMF)

You only lose fat when you're in an energy deficit. Ketosis is not required for the body to burn off it's fat stores. The state of ketosis only means that your body has a lot of ketone bodies floating around. Ketosis provides some benefits of mood and energy in some people but you lose fat rapidly because you're not consuming many calories on the IP diet.

The "right amount" of protein to retain LBM is highly debateable even amoung experts but the IP diet protocol makes no differentiation between a 4'11" female and a 6'8" male for protein requirements so on that basis alone I am certain the IP protocol is not providing the body with "just the right amount"

This doesn't mean the IP diet doesn't work. It does work. It just doesn't work because of the reasons you're told when you sign up at the local clinic.
John,
Have you done IP? It's not just calories. It's the type of calories. It's a low carb diet. If you were to eat the same number of calories but more carbs, you wouldn't lose weight as fast because your metabolism would slow significantly as the body would read you as being in starvation mode and slow accordingly. Being in ketosis keeps your metabolism humming along.

I was very skeptical of IP. And I didn't go to the seminar. I did all my research before and decided to do it. It's not just IP, there are other similar diets that work largely by going low carb and entering a state of ketosis.

Is this necessary to lose weight? Of course not. You can totally lose weight by simply cutting calories and exercising more. But, for many people it's just not that simple. Following a diet like IP gives you some control and structure and many find that very helpful. It also allows for more rapid weight loss, which is why I'm doing it. If I did WW I'd lose if I stuck to the plan, but it would be slower and I just want it gone, now.

~Pam
Old 01-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #13  

Quote:
Cool. I've been in sales my entire life. One thing about any good salesperson though is that we're easily sold. That is what makes us good salespeople. We want to believe.
Ha! This is so true...I've been in sales my whole career and am an easy mark.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Height: 5'5"

Perhaps John or Pam can chime in on these points: IP (as I've read) rests your pancreas and by the time you reach phase 4, your pancreas should be functioning better, you'll have less insulin resistance and your metabolism will be reset.

John, do you think the claims listed above are true? Pam?

I don't have a coach (happily use alternatives), learned most of what I know about IP here (and thank all of you for that).
Chloe222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #15  
Embracing the suck

Pam -

I'm not saying any of the things you seem to think I'm saying. I don't think all calories are equal. I don't think all people will be successful cutting calories and exercising more (in fact most people won't succeed this way in my opinion). I'm not against the structure of the IP diet and I'm not against rapid fat loss.

However, I will point out that carbohydrates do not slow down anyone's metabolism. In people who are insulin resistant (extremely common in obese people) carbohydrates can affect the output side of the energy equation and cause them to burn fewer calories over all but it doesn't mean their BMR is affected. Carbs are also the least satiating macronutrient and in many people refined carbs trigger cravings. This does not mean ketosis speeds up ones metabolism. To take it a step further, in insulin sensative people a low carb diet causes them to burn fewer calories because of how it affects the output side of their energy equation.

Finally - if you have any evidence that ketosis "keeps the metabolism humming along" by causing the body to not slow down one's metabolism in the face reduced calories I would be extremely interested in seeing it. This is simply not accurate, at all.