Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/110

Height: 5'4"

Default Anyone quit smoking while losing weight?

I quit smoking before we tried to have a baby - that was over 3 years ago. Then stupidly a year ago, I started smoking again. It started as just 1 here and there and now I'm back up to a pack a day. I've just started my "living healthy" journey and want to quit smoking. Was anyone able to do this and continue to lose weight? Obviously my health is more important than weight, but wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions to reduce cravings, etc.
free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:43 PM   #2  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

hey! i am actually in the process of quitting- after many, many unsuccessfull tries, i just passed day 3. previously, i have used nicorrette, which worked for 3-4 days and then the hand to mouth action really came in play.

i bought the nicorette inhaler a couple of days, and it's great!
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #3  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

I am a 28 year smoker, have tried every which way to quit and noting has stuck long term. 35 days ago I purchased my first electronic ciggy and it was the BEST decision I have ever made. I love my eciggy and quitting this time is so less painful.
If you decide to give it a try, be sure to do some research before you purchase one, there are so many out there. This website:http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ is so full of information and helpful people.

Best of luck to you!
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #4  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

For me smoking always made me GAIN weight. But this is because I was always far less healthy in general when I smoke, stop exercising as much, etc. etc. I quit smoking again 3 weeks ago and I've been doing so much better re. fitness and not TOO bad on the food (especially given I quit four days before Christmas)

Personally I strongly recommend the nicotine replacement therapy, but different folks find different NRT methods more useful. This time I used the mini-lozenges. Very good.

You may take an initial hit on the weight, but if you use exercise instead of cigarettes for stress relief, I'm sure you'll see your weight loss boosted!!!
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #5  

Thanks guys! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I quit cold turkey over 2 years ago - I always had weird side effects w/the replacement stuff. I'm going to cut back until the 26th and then go cold turkey again. It's really best for my addictive personality to rip the bandaid off. It's gonna suck and I'm so mad that I have to go thru it again.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I did, and I was able to run and lift so much more, so I was teeny tiny almost immediately.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #7  

Any tips from those of you who quit?
Old 01-09-2013, 01:35 AM   #8  

Giving up smoking is not a easy job to do. I had given up smoking along time ago but for that i have to leave the company of my smoker friends. I will suggest you to try E-C. May be that will help you.
omly55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #9  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

I smoked at least 1/2 pack for over 10 years and quit just over NINE months ago!!! I replaced smoking w/ exercising - my co-workers have all remarked that they have never seen anyone lose weight while quitting.

I went for a run when I quit that first day & couldn't really do a 1/2 mile w/ out the BURNING of my lungs...every other day I tried more - I also did kick-boxing, biking anything to make me too tired to focus on smoking.

I used the patch which helped wonders.

I dropped over a dress size using the patch, exercise & sugarless gum.

Good luck it's possible & I NEVER thought it would be - I've never been so happy to not smoke and I'm reminded of that with every half marathon I complete each month now!
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #10  

I would love some tips on quitting smoking while dieting! I am about to purchase my first e-cig but I still am so worried about gaining weight!
thorner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #11  
Starting again

S/C/G: 289/ticker/128

I quit smoking cold turkey14 months ago. I won't lie, weight loss is a LOT harder since I quit. I was losing an average of 10-15 lb a month before I quit and I've only lost about 15-20 since. I'm really struggling to stay motivated to weight loss. But I don't regret it. Being a non-smoker is awesome and one of the best things I've ever done.
shishkeberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

I started smoking at age 13 and by the time I graduated from high school was a 2 pack a day smoker, within one year of graduation I was a 3 pack a day smoker. When I was 22 I quit for roughly 7 years. But to be honest the desire, urge, craving NEVER left. I started again for a long time I was able to keep it to one or two here and there. Then it got to be 5 or 6 daily.

I made many attempts t quit but they were short lived.

The day after Thanksgiving I had a 3 hour car ride with my grandson in the car with me. I would nt light up with him in the car, but driving through traffic has always made me chain smoke. I bought my first E-cig. It has been just what I needed. I have not had a cigarette since before bed on Thanksgiving. I also "e-cig" much less than I smoked. I don't stink like an ashtray and I don't have smokers breath. I really love my E-cig!
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 325/125/maintaining

Height: 5'6.5

I tried the e-cig, but my lungs were so bad it still made me cough. So, I went with the nicorette longezes. Those worked great for me. Quit over 1 1/2 years ago and never looked back. Oh and I was still losing weight when I quit and it didn't mess up my weight loss.
KatMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #14  

S/C/G: HW370/319/200

Height: 5'9"

I took Chantix. I personally didn't feel "ready" to quit, but I knew it was unhealthy. I smoked for SEVENTEEN years. And I liked smoking. Just like we like eating and find a fixation for it-- I enjoyed a smoke. I looked forward to it. I wanted my coffee and cigarette for breakfast for so many years. I wanted my break from work under the tree. I wanted it sitting in traffic. Every day. All day. I smoked over a pack a day most days.

I only tried to quit once, and it lasted 4 days. I halfway smoked when pregnant (no lectures, I'm a nurse. I already know.) and luckily they were beautiful and healthy kids. I was that addicted to smoking. I quit some when sick, but not fully.

One day, I asked my doc to prescribe Chantix to me. I started taking it, never expecting it to work! I wasn't even "mentally" prepared to do it. The first two days were difficult. But not hard. I didn't even finish the month-long treatment. I did it for around 2 weeks.

I am now about 6 weeks shy of TWO YEARS no smoking. Occasionally, I see someone's arm hanging out of their car window with a lit cigarette and think "man, could that kill some time right now in traffic." Or I have a dream. Or it just crosses my mind out of nowhere.

But I've never stopped at any 7-11 and even bought a pack "just in case." I just never had that craving ever again. Don't get me wrong. There are moments. But they're just moments.

Since I've quit, I think often that there should be a pill that makes weight loss so easy. But, Chantix doesn't work for everyone. Like weight loss. We all have to find our way and our route that works for us individually. I was lucky this worked for me. Now my head is in it, but it wasn't prior, and if it weren't for the head game the medication did for me, I might still be a smoker! Oh, and I didn't gain any weight related to quitting... no food cravings or jittery nervous eating episodes.

Good stuff!
KerriLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #15  

Thanks guys! I'm ready to do it! I'm still so mad that I have to go thru it again!