Old 01-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #1  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

Default New York City Ideas???

for christmas, as my reward for losing 100 pounds, dh gave me a planned trip to NYC for the macy's thanksgiving day parade this year!!
i will be in NYC for 5 days and would LOVE for anyone to suggest to me things to do!!!!

thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!
rainbowsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

Broadway Play
Hgamroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

I agree on a Broadway play...Time Square a must see....Macy's on 34th street....
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

If you like 'fake' handbags, Canal St in Chinatown.

Empire State Building, at night.
NinjaNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #5  
Started IP: Nov. 2, 2012

S/C/G: 326/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8''

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNurse View Post
If you like 'fake' handbags, Canal St in Chinatown.
Some of my favorite purses were bought there!

Lincoln center if you like performing arts
Top of the Rockefeller center
Ellis Island
Bryant park
Tziri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:01 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

So many things to do! Definitely see a broadway show. Also, The Guggeheim is the the best museum, in my opinion. I have a great guidebook that is really new that I will send to you - it's a great read and has so much good information.
LosingLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:02 AM   #7  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Ah, NY, NY! This is my Motherland. I'm New York City born and bred and grew up there, so I've got lots of favorite haunts.

Definitely the parade, a Broadway Show, yes to Canal street (I can give you some specific places there where I love to get Chinese stuff....). I love the museums (Moma and Met are my faves) but most of all I love just walking around. Walk, walk, walk and drink it all in.

I sound homesick. Yup.
joysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #8  
Feed Your Freedom

wow...thank you everyone!!!
i know it is a long way away still....but i am so excited!!

we are romantics at heart and neither one of us likes to shop!!

i love the idea of walking and just taking it all in!!

we are going to try to go to the empire state building around 5 pm in daylight and stay until dark so we can get the best of both views!!

i do want to bike central park!!! and i'd love to bike brooklyn bridge but i don't think nigel is going to go for that, so we will probably walk the brooklyn bridge!!

seeing the christmas window displays is a walk we want to do.....has anyone done this...and if so, which is the best street to go down??? or up??
Old 01-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Ahh I go to NYC a few times a year, grew up in the 'burbs and we go when I go back to visit!

For Broadway shows, find out which ones you want to go to ahead of time - especially if they're popular ones. OR if you like to be surprised, go to TKTS in Times Square and buy half priced tickets- that in itself is an experience! You can almost definitely get Christmas Spectacular (Rockettes) tickets there also.

You're romantics, eh? How about a moonlight horse and carriage ride in central park?

What else do you guys like to do?

RE: Christmas windows- Macys! They used to do an awesome display inside too but when we went this year, it wasn't there... so check first. We went to Barneys and that one wasn't that good this year. Lord and Taylor- liked. You can usually find reviews of the displays ahead of time. In my experience they're not always consistent.

The tree doesn't go up until the 28th but that's definitely something to see if you're still there, depending on when Turkey day falls.

South Street Seaport is a fun place to walk around and people watch.

Then all the touristy fun stuff- statue of liberty & ellis island, empire state building...

The boat tours are also a lot of fun!

Last edited by djs06; 01-10-2013 at 10:12 AM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #10  
Feed Your Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs06 View Post
Ahh I go to NYC a few times a year, grew up in the 'burbs and we go when I go back to visit!

For Broadway shows, find out which ones you want to go to ahead of time - especially if they're popular ones. OR if you like to be surprised, go to TKTS in Times Square and buy half priced tickets- that in itself is an experience! You can almost definitely get Christmas Spectacular (Rockettes) tickets there also.

You're romantics, eh? How about a moonlight horse and carriage ride in central park?

What else do you guys like to do?

RE: Christmas windows- Macys! They used to do an awesome display inside too but when we went this year, it wasn't there... so check first. We went to Barneys and that one wasn't that good this year. Lord and Taylor- liked. You can usually find reviews of the displays ahead of time. In my experience they're not always consistent.

The tree doesn't go up until the 28th but that's definitely something to see if you're still there, depending on when Turkey day falls.

South Street Seaport is a fun place to walk around and people watch.

Then all the touristy fun stuff- statue of liberty & ellis island, empire state building...

The boat tours are also a lot of fun!
does the tree always go up on the 28th b/c that is thanksgiving day??? this year.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #11  

get tickets to go to the twin tower site and statue of liberty. You have to get them in advance though. Just soak it all in and KISS that Nigel for me!!! what a sweetie! Im hoping to end up in the city in June!
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles View Post
does the tree always go up on the 28th b/c that is thanksgiving day??? this year.
Oops, it was the 28th this year- not always the same date, I don't think. We went right after Thanksgiving this year and it was there but not lit yet. So.. not sure.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote