Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Lost control again

On a single shopping trip to the supermarket I bought:

- sugary cereal
- fudge cookies
- cookie dough
- frozen waffles
- cinammon rolls
- a whole pound cake
- cheetos
- 3 bags of chips

That was 2 days ago. Already the pound cake was gone within that day, the chips are gone too, a couple of waffles and a few cookies. I've gained 3lbs in 7days. What is to become of me?
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #2  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Throw out the rest. You are not bound to eat it just because you bought it!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

What's to become of you? You've taken the first step and reached out to this group for some support. You sound like my shopping when I'm hungry and stressed and tired and want some comfort food. I have to drive about 20 miles to get to a large grocery store. When I'm doing that, I do a lot of other chores while I'm in town resulting in spending the entire day running errands. By the time I get to the grocery store, I'm hungry and stressed and tired and usually irritated. All of these foods that will release those feel good chemicals beckon.

Definitely, throw out the rest of the food so it's not a temptation or give it to a neighbor -- just get it out of the house. Try to figure out what you were feeling when you went to the grocery store and bought that stuff. I've gotten to the point where I take an apple in the car with me when I go to town. Before I go into the grocery store, I eat the apple and drink a bottle of water.

One friend turned me on to the trick of just avoiding some aisles in the store. She first goes around the perimeter of the store as that's where most of the healthy food is located -- produce, meat, dairy, cheese and eggs. Then she picks out the other aisles. She won't go down the snack aisle, avoids the candy aisle to the point where she'll forego getting something that she needs on the other side of that aisle. She pointed out that most healthy foods are grouped together and most high calorie foods are grouped together.

Make a list (I have to or I'd forget half of what I need!) and never buy anything that isn't on the list unless it's an item on your diet plan that is on sale. And I never eat the samples. Samples and I are poison. Once I start on the samples, it's like my mind is thinking it's a free meal and I should eat every sample available.

Mainly, just forgive yourself. Yes, gaining the 3 pounds hurts. If it helps, I managed to put on 30 pounds between Thanksgiving and Christmas through some truly incredibly bad decisions. It will take me 4-5 months to take off what 2-3 weeks of bad eating did. But, I'm on the wagon, I'm staying here, and I have just accepted that sometimes I do things that aren't good for me. The challenge is not to do it again or to know why I did it.

Hope that helps. Just keep posting. This is going to take awhile as these are probably long standing habits. But seeing that others have challenges with binging has really helped me psychologically to deal with this.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #4  
Carbivore

S/C/G: 260/167/172

Height: 6' 2"

Maybe your body is just desperately trying to say "Feed me, I need proper nutricients" ?

Last edited by MadProfessor; 01-08-2013 at 03:45 PM.
MadProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/176/155

Height: 5'8

In reading about drug addiction, the author repeated many times in the book that relapse is part of recovery.
The same thing for us food-addicts. Relapsing (binging) is part of the process. Throw out the rest. Grab a pen and some paper. Right down why you want to stop binging, what your goals are, what your plan is.... keep yourself motivated. Don't worry about the binge. Just move on. Remember how you felt afterwards though, remind yourself of that every time you want to binge.

Good luck
PaintedPonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #6  
Loosing the old me

S/C/G: 195/195/120

Height: 173 cm

Haha! Don't stress out. We all have those weeks. Yep, you gained 3 lbs, BUT work out twice harder next week to lose them!
You know what may help, if you will get two jars. Fill one with 50 marbles. The other leave empty and every time you eat something healthy, put one marble in the empty jar, and once you reach 30 or 50 ( it's up to you), treat yourself with 5 cookies, or one piece of cake, or a bit of fries or something you enjoy eating but can't eat 'cause it is sweet! Or reward yourself with a visit to spa salon or similar. This way you will be motivated. And every time you eat something unhealthy, take them away to "punish" yourself

The other thing that may help if you shop with someone you know. Ask them to slap you everytime you try buying something sweet. Your face will be red, but it worth it

Last edited by StrawberrySwing; 01-08-2013 at 07:08 PM.
StrawberrySwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

Don't just throw it out - sadly, I can admit to having looked in the trash after throwing stuff out and eating stuff that wasn't "contaminated."

Instead, get some dishwasher liquid, pour it over the remaining items, and THEN throw it out. And don't look back. Do whatever you can to get on track starting tomorrow.

Wishin' you the best...
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedPonies View Post
In reading about drug addiction, the author repeated many times in the book that relapse is part of recovery.
The same thing for us food-addicts. Relapsing (binging) is part of the process. Throw out the rest. Grab a pen and some paper. Right down why you want to stop binging, what your goals are, what your plan is.... keep yourself motivated. Don't worry about the binge. Just move on. Remember how you felt afterwards though, remind yourself of that every time you want to binge.

Good luck
Ugh, this is terrible. I hate relapsing... it feels like whiplash! One moment I can do it, the next moment I'm a failure. It's a vicious cycle and every time I succeed the success is marred by fear... fear that I will inevitably mess up again and again and no matter how much I succeed I will fail all the same.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySwing View Post
Haha! Don't stress out. We all have those weeks. Yep, you gained 3 lbs, BUT work out twice harder next week to lose them!
You know what may help, if you will get two jars. Fill one with 50 marbles. The other leave empty and every time you eat something healthy, put one marble in the empty jar, and once you reach 30 or 50 ( it's up to you), treat yourself with 5 cookies, or one piece of cake, or a bit of fries or something you enjoy eating but can't eat 'cause it is sweet! Or reward yourself with a visit to spa salon or similar. This way you will be motivated. And every time you eat something unhealthy, take them away to "punish" yourself

The other thing that may help if you shop with someone you know. Ask them to slap you everytime you try buying something sweet. Your face will be red, but it worth it

Kind of brilliant! I will try this. I don't have marbles but I have jars, I'll fill them with something.... maybe with quarters! Thanks!
Old 01-09-2013, 07:36 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKatFan View Post
Don't just throw it out - sadly, I can admit to having looked in the trash after throwing stuff out and eating stuff that wasn't "contaminated."

Instead, get some dishwasher liquid, pour it over the remaining items, and THEN throw it out. And don't look back. Do whatever you can to get on track starting tomorrow.

Wishin' you the best...
Haha that's hilarious. I haven't thrown it all away yet, this binge is lasting a few days but it's over today I think.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #11  
Loosing the old me

S/C/G: 195/195/120

Height: 173 cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Haha that's hilarious. I haven't thrown it all away yet, this binge is lasting a few days but it's over today I think.
It is briliant, but it kind of isn't right throwing everything away....I just... my opinion. Better give it to someone, but it's just me crazy about other people's needs
StrawberrySwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #12  
WDN

S/C/G: 156/139/130

Height: 5'8"

The most important thing here is you are reaching out for help here.
Be proud of that. Don't beat yourself up about it, move on and grow from it. Throw the rest of the food out or do a good deed and donate it to a homeless shelter.
WDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySwing View Post
Better give it to someone, but it's just me crazy about other people's needs
I agree with you in theory. The problem is that by the time you (generic you) find the right person or group to give it to, several days may have gone by -- several days of having to resist the temptation of the trigger foods under your nose. That's why I think it's OK to throw away unhealthy food purchased on impulse.

Freelance
blog: www.englishgrammargripe.com

Last edited by freelancemomma; 01-09-2013 at 05:20 PM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #14  

I don't want to go into a debate about charity. I donate a lot of clothes, canned items and money regularly. I bring toys to a local hospital on Christmas every year. As a musician I've spent many years giving free concerts for kids and visiting retirement homes. When I eat at restaurants and take a doggie bag I always give it to a homeless person on the street. But I am not giving away an opened box of cereal or a refrigerated item. To whom exactly would I bring a bag of cheetos to? I also don't believe that being a member of the clean-plate-club does anything to help starving kids in Africa.