Old 01-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/217/170

Height: 5'0

Default Today begins Ideal Protein 2.0

I did IP a couple years ago and lost 80lbs in one year. It came off painfully slow. None of this 3-5lbs a week stuff like all my friends. After the first two months I lost about 3lbs a month. It was very discouraging and I spent way too much time thinking about what all i was going to eat when i finally got a cheat day.

Phase 3 and 4 didn't go very well for me. I didn't receive any instruction about what to do, and it turns out i am allergic to wheat, gluten and dairy. So i gained 30lbs in my first two months off of IP while doing phase 3 and 4. I ended up doing phase 1 six days a week with a no holds barred cheat day once a week. This didn't work as I would gain 5lbs on my cheat day and it took a couple weeks to get it back off. I was miserable staying on IP products when all my friends had lost their weight in a couple of months and had gone back to normal life.

I've since seen a few doctors and in addition to multiple food allergies i also have a thyroid problem, and adrenal fatigue. For the past year i have been trying to address these health issues and eat whole foods. Now I'm ready to go back on IP and reach my initial goal. I've gained a total of 50lbs back and I'm so discouraged and depressed. Losing 80lbs was wonderful! Gaining 50 back is beyond humiliating.

Lessons I learned -

While on IP before I was influenced by friends to occasionally cheat with a low carb bar or piece of cheese. They all lost weight while having tiny cheats. I didn't. I also don't lose weight on alternative products. I tried swapping out EAS and Lindora for IP to save money and my weight loss stalled. These things may work for other people but i clearly have some additional challenges and have to stick to the IP protocol 100%.

I will not be able to eat like everyone else in phases 3 and 4. One piece of toast or serving of yogurt swells me up and it takes days to undo the damage.

I have to view IP as my new way of life and not as a quick diet. I read testimonials from people with my health issues about how they found out they were allergic to gluten and never ate it again. This hasn't been me. I've been more the eat the cookie and pop the benadryl type. I need to change my whole life outlook to food.

Focusing on what goodies i will eat on my cheat day only caused me to eat way too much too often and gain the weight back. I should have been re-training myself how to eat healthy and have a healthy attitude towards food.

I am ashamed and humiliated and would appreciate any encouragement possible.
Liddybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Don't be ashamed, it is life and we've all been there!

One thing I will caution you on regarding your gluten allergy. I, myself, am not allergic, but my mom, uncle, brother, and aunt all have celiac. While you may be able to "pop" a benadryl after eating toast, I would advise you not to eat the toast at all. Celiac actually damages your intestines and causes damages to your body that you're not able to see/feel right away.

Other than that it sounds like you've learned some great lessons and are ready to jump back on the IP bandwagon!

Last edited by IdealProteinNewbie; 01-09-2013 at 12:28 PM.
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #3  
Started IP 1/7/13

S/C/G: 252/220/152

Height: 5'2"

You can do it! I started IP on Monday - I know how it feels to have friends drop the lbs and just see small losses. Every diet and/or exercise plan I've tried in the past, it seems like my body just holds on to the weight. I'm hoping to really see some results with this and not be discouraged and give up.
my31rewards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #4  
Started IP: Nov. 2, 2012

S/C/G: 326/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8''

Hello and welcome back to IP!
I have to say I definitely understand the low weight-loss/stalled weight-loss when something was working or is working better for everyone else. For me, I ended up finding out that it always came back to my thyroid. I have known about the problem since going into high school (27 y/o now), however it wasn't until recently (in nov. in fact) that I FINALLY got a doctor who is watching my levels closely and keeping them under control.

I had been trying to lose weight last year and I stalled for 5+ months. I went to a new doctor and she said my thyroid levels were so off that she was amazed I ever lost ANY weight. I was really angry considering I had just gone to my previous doctor and had my blood checked 4 months prior and he never changed my medication.

Long story short: everything for me is being kept under control now and I'm losing more weight than I ever have before. It's amazing how much your body can work against you.

Hopefully with everything else under control you may see better results this time around! If not, well as long as you're still losing that's a big ++++++

Look to the future and forget about your past (nothing you can do about it anyway). All you can ever change is your future weight, so you have to forget about your starting weight because it "is what it is."

EDIT** Sorry if someone has already told you this, but no one ever told me until November. If you are taking any meds for your thyroid, you cannot take them within 4 hours of taking any of the supplements with calcium in them. Good luck!

Last edited by Tziri; 01-09-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Tziri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #5  

i did NOT know to wait four hours before taking calcuim! Thank you so much! And thank you all for your encouragement already. I need to have my thyroid results reviewed by a different doctor. I've been on synthroid for a year and a half now and don't feel any better.

And as to the gluten - you are right - i can't have it at all. one of the things i need to really make peace with so i can make some lasting changes.

Last edited by Liddybean; 01-09-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #6  

I am also gluten free and there are days that it really does suck so I can definitely feel your pain! I am also a slow loser but I have just decided to be thankful for what I have accomplished so far. I am glad that you have decided to once again take the IP plunge!
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #7  
Holding on TIGHT

S/C/G: 225/195.4/166.2/135

Height: 5'1

I'm proud of you for jumping back on the wagon! Although I don't have quite the sensitivities as you do to wheat etc, I will still have to watch my carbs, my body does not react well to them, even though I have lost 79 total pounds, if I eat too many carbs my blood sugar raises too much. We all need to do what works for us, and this time, you are armed with the information you need to succeed. So, welcome and much success to you!!!! You can do it!!!
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I'm glad you made the decision to come back. You have to want the changes in order to make it happen, no one else can do it for you. It sounds like you have identified some issues that are contributing to your weight, that is a huge NSV At least you have some "thing" that can be identified and worked on. I hope if you don't already have one, that you find a really good doctor. One that will work with you, not against you as you try to lose the weight and manage your health. YOU CAN DO IT!
sahmmommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

I felt so bad for you while reading your post...We all have set backs and our own personal obstacles. We all just need to learn how to make them into positive things in our lives. You're definitely going in the right direction because you have not given up. So, keep going and don't compare yourself to anyone but YOU!

Keep going and chin up!
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #10  
started IP oct. 09 2012

S/C/G: 199.8/163/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddybean View Post

I will not be able to eat like everyone else in phases 3 and 4. One piece of toast or serving of yogurt swells me up and it takes days to undo the damage.
This really got my attention since I have had huge issues with swelling... on new years I had one egg and decided to have one toast along with it for breakfast.... BAD IDEA!!! I swelled up so much I looked like I had lost a boxing match... the only thing I did different that day was the toast... But I have tested negative for celiac... I asked my coach and she said it was a normal reaction because my body had not had that type of food in a few months... now I wonder...

Anyways, don't feel bad about your past just go from here and look towards the future... we are all here to support each other
guil28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by guil28 View Post
This really got my attention since I have had huge issues with swelling... on new years I had one egg and decided to have one toast along with it for breakfast.... BAD IDEA!!! I swelled up so much I looked like I had lost a boxing match... the only thing I did different that day was the toast... But I have tested negative for celiac... I asked my coach and she said it was a normal reaction because my body had not had that type of food in a few months... now I wonder...

Anyways, don't feel bad about your past just go from here and look towards the future... we are all here to support each other
Thank you all so much! I feel more positive just reading your replies.

I think the swelling should be a red flag to you that something greater than introducing carbs might be at work. When i started IP the first time - my first two months were fabulous! The weight loss was good the first month but the real kicker was the shrinking! I realize now that it was the absence of most of the food allergies/intolerances that caused a lot of inflammation to go down. I have been diagnosed with leaky gut (attractive isn't it) and it causes allergic reactions to problematic foods. It didn't take me two years to regain 50 lbs. It took FOUR MONTHS to regain 50 lbs! I've maintained the gain for the rest of the time trying to work out some of the hormonal issues I have.

Just like if you are allergic to bees and you swell when you get stung - if you have an allergic reaction to foods you can swell internally. get headaches (swelling of the brain) bloating (swelling of digestive tract) joint pain (swelling of the joints) I would go see a holistic doctor/nutritionist who can test you for intolerance.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #12  

No shame or humiliation allowed here!!! Only positive thoughts to ensure a healthy 2013. We have all been there - lost and gained weight. I need to think of IP as a lifestyle chane and not a diet!

Welcome back!
Willi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 219/141/130

Height: 5'1''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi View Post
No shame or humiliation allowed here!!! Only positive thoughts to ensure a healthy 2013. We have all been there - lost and gained weight. I need to think of IP as a lifestyle chane and not a diet!

Welcome back!
Well said! I too am back for a third round of IP beginning on Sunday, the 13th. I have had 2 miscarriages in 5 months and have been comforting myself with bad foods. I worked so hard on IP the first time around and also felt ashamed to have gained back nearly all the weight I lost. I definitely am looking at this as a permanent lifestyle change this time around and not a "diet/fix."

I have been preparing to re-start by reading Dr. Tran's book and all the wonderful posts here by all of you amazing, inspiring women. This blog is an incredible source of information and strength. I am so thankful for everyone on here and feel very ready to begin.

Don't ever feel bad about where you are if you are actively trying to help yourself! Good luck and I'll be here on the journey with you!
Rachelle
WorldTraveleronIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #14  
started IP oct. 09 2012

S/C/G: 199.8/163/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddybean View Post
Thank you all so much! I feel more positive just reading your replies.

I think the swelling should be a red flag to you that something greater than introducing carbs might be at work. When i started IP the first time - my first two months were fabulous! The weight loss was good the first month but the real kicker was the shrinking! I realize now that it was the absence of most of the food allergies/intolerances that caused a lot of inflammation to go down. I have been diagnosed with leaky gut (attractive isn't it) and it causes allergic reactions to problematic foods. It didn't take me two years to regain 50 lbs. It took FOUR MONTHS to regain 50 lbs! I've maintained the gain for the rest of the time trying to work out some of the hormonal issues I have.

Just like if you are allergic to bees and you swell when you get stung - if you have an allergic reaction to foods you can swell internally. get headaches (swelling of the brain) bloating (swelling of digestive tract) joint pain (swelling of the joints) I would go see a holistic doctor/nutritionist who can test you for intolerance.
The wait I am trying to loose now... almost 60 lbs originally was all put on in a few months! I soo get were you are coming from... I will get it checked out! Thanks
guil28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTraveleronIP View Post
Well said! I too am back for a third round of IP beginning on Sunday, the 13th. I have had 2 miscarriages in 5 months and have been comforting myself with bad foods. I worked so hard on IP the first time around and also felt ashamed to have gained back nearly all the weight I lost. I definitely am looking at this as a permanent lifestyle change this time around and not a "diet/fix."

I have been preparing to re-start by reading Dr. Tran's book and all the wonderful posts here by all of you amazing, inspiring women. This blog is an incredible source of information and strength. I am so thankful for everyone on here and feel very ready to begin.

Don't ever feel bad about where you are if you are actively trying to help yourself! Good luck and I'll be here on the journey with you!
Rachelle
Welcome back! So sorry to hear about your miscarriages
Willi is offline   Reply With Quote