Old 01-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #1  
Beth

S/C/G: 244/204/170

Height: 5'7"/25yo

Default Fast Food Problems! "Healthy" Things to Avoid

I've been surfing the web today about healthy vs. unhealthy restaurants, and came across this huffington post article about terrible fast food. Obviously, we know that fast food isn't good for us, but sometimes I and I'm sure others find ourselves in a situation that warrants us getting our real protein from a fast food restaurant. If you happen to check out Mcdonald's, Subway, or Chicfila, check this out...

"Grilled Chicken: If there was any common theme in this thread, it was this: just probably don't order grilled chicken in any fast food establishment ever. One McDonald's employee confessed to slathering grilled chicken breasts with liquid margarine to keep it from sticking. An ex-Subway employee described the defrosting process they used, which involved soaking the chicken in hot water for hours, then squeezing the "chicken water" out at the end of the day."

Adding to that quote... the actual reddit user who wrote about that Mcdonald's said "To keep it juicy, once we've lain the frozen blocks of chicken, three more squirts of liquid margarine are applied to the tops."

From the Reddit site about Chic Fil A: "But I will say that NOBODY should EVER eat the Chicken Salad Sandwich under any circumstance [from Chic fil a]. The Chicken Salad itself is several day-old frozen chicken patties manually stripped of breading, then chopped up and mixed with celery and mayo and whatnot. How anyone can pass this menu item off as healthful is beyond me. It's nasty.

Also Chick Fil A cooks nearly everything on their menu using MSG. But I heard managers lie to customers about it on several occasions."

From the Reddit site about Subway: Say no to the Tuna, or seafood,or anything else that has the "sauce" mixed in (chicken teriyaki,etc). It's done by hand, often without gloves (I've seen band-aids lost in there, only to be found by a unwitting customer, with their teeth...). Also, anything mixed with mayo has a shelf life (I forget the time frame, but I'm pretty sure it's only in the hours) and each "vat" of it should be labeled. Problem is, folks mix new [stuff], and don't toss the old tub OR they just don't check the labels, leading to "Artists" serving expired (sometimes from the day before) tuna.

I'm sure there is plenty more but at this point I'm worried I'll find something wrong with my favorite restaurant of choice while on this diet so I'm done looking for it lol

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1654025.html

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/co...it=500#content
whytokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #2  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

I find the easy choice is to just say no to fast food. Regardless of IP or any diet I've been on, I can't remember the last time I set foot in a McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King or any of the rest. It's been at least 10 years, probably longer.
bubbleblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #3  

Yeah...I don't do fast food either. It really isn't that hard to stay away. It is just another habit to get into (or out of )
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #4  
Beth

S/C/G: 244/204/170

Height: 5'7"/25yo

I've had chipotle for 3 days in a row now, haha.. I am such a terrible cook, and the food at chipotle is pretty darn good and fulfills my protein requirement. I probably wouldn't go anywhere else.
whytokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #5  
Freedom from Food

S/C/G: 170/170/138

Height: 5'7" size 12

See any of the documentaries such as Food Inc, or Forks vs Knives; you will quickly have a change of heart as to where you obtain the protein you put into your body. It's good to be informed! And with the amount of protein we are able to actually consume in any given day, the expense of eating organic farmed meats is well worth the peace of mind. If I'm forced to eat at a fast food type place, i actually eat plain lettuce! It keeps the hunger at bay, and I'd rather deal with hunger than poison.
If anyone does see those movies, I'd love your feedback, thanks.
Purrfect is offline   Reply With Quote