Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-09-2013, 02:04 AM   #1  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Default Body Frame Question

So, I've used those calculator/guide things that are supposed to tell you what your body frame is. Typically they say something like if you wrap your finger and thumb around your wrist and they don't touch you're large framed, touching means medium framed, and overlapping means small framed.

Well, since I've lost 80lbs, I've gone from not touching to touching. I always thought I was large framed cause my fingers didn't touch, lol... does this mean I'm actually medium framed? Your body frame can't change can it??
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:18 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 205/see ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Well, I tried it right now. While measuring my left wrist, the finger and the thumb meet easily. With the right wrist, there is almost a half cm. gap

What to make of it ??
appyfizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:51 AM   #3  
Failure is a mindset

S/C/G: 244/241/165

Height: 5'9

Is it a huge difference between last time measuring or few centimeters or so? Reason being 70 pounds is alot and although it may not seem like your wrist were "fat" there may have been a little that you lost and now your wrist appear smaller.
TTNMDANES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:59 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 172/ticker/114

Your frame hasn't changed, but you probably lost fat around your wrists so now they're smaller. I think this thumb & finger rule probably only applies to those who aren't heavily overweight & thus not carrying a lot of fat.

I have several friends who are all skinny, except some have really wide wrists, while others have tiny ones. You were always probably medium framed.
delyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:04 AM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Your body frame can't change—it is what it is. You might just find you're small or medium framed when you thought you were large framed as you shed the pounds It's really hard to determine body frame with JUST those calculators, but look around! It's easy to see who is large framed, small framed, etc.

I always thought I was large framed. I don't really think so anymore. I think I'm small/medium framed.

However, if I go by the calculators, I actually get all three frame sizes. If I measure by my wrists, I get small framed. If I go by my elbow, I get large, and by my ankle I get medium! Perhaps I am a series of different body parts thrown together
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #6  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I always thought I was large framed, come to find out I'm SMALL! Any calculator I use comes out small. My fingers overlap if I wrap them around my wrist. If I uses a tape measure and plug my wrist, ankle or elbow measurement into a calculator, again, comes out small.

If I'd have done that a year ago it would have come out large, but it would have been skewed by the fact that I was obese and had fat padding my measurements.

It kind of makes me sad for my old self that I gave myself the excuse of being bigger (not obese but back in the day being around 155-165) and carrying extra weight under the guise of having a large frame.

Now that I'm at the lowest weight I've ever been in my life I can SEE I have a small frame and that I actually could be probably quite comfortable at around 120 pounds, but of course I have yet to see (but will soon).
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

When I was at my biggest I thought I was definetly big framed. Now it turns out I'm small framed. All my fingers overlap and my wrist measurement for my height says I'm small framed as well. and I can actually see in the mirror that my bone structure is small for my height which makes me think my goal weight will probably be lower than 135 which I'm cool with but I will aim for weights bit by bit and see what happens. I think a lot of people who start off obese just assume they have to be large framed because you can't really tell with all that weight on.
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #8  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I am a truly large framed woman, I was even when I was measuring at 16 and at a healthy weight. Even so, my wrists, which I thought were the only not fat thing about me, have shrunk in the last 74 pounds. So it changes. It's hard to truly judge your frame if you aren't close to goal.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsyborogoves View Post
Typically they say something like if you wrap your finger and thumb around your wrist and they don't touch you're large framed, touching means medium framed, and overlapping means small framed.
Just curious: which finger? When I wrap my index and thumb around my wrist, they just touch. When I do my middle finger and thumb, there's an overlap. I don't think I'm small-framed, though.

Freelance
blog: www.englishgrammargripe.com
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #10  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I'm really small boned - size 6 shoes at 5'5, narrow hips, shoulders, double chin at 140 pounds, etc. How does the rest of you measure up with wrists?

My wrists have gotten a little bigger around with weightlifting.

Last edited by krampus; 01-09-2013 at 02:34 PM.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #11  
the muse of memory

Heh. Thank you for this thread. Did the 'measure fingers around wrist' thing today and finger/thumb meet - which is a new NSV for me, since 60 lbs ago there was a good 1/2 inch gap.
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

I'm large framed. My fingers definitely don't touch when encircling my wrists and I've lost close to 70. My doctor agrees that I have a large frame and I also have dense bones. Having dense bones is actually a good thing but it does bump my weight up more than then average woman.
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #13  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I'm on the tall side (5'8") and have always considered myself large framed. I remember not being able to touch my fingers around my wrist at all; they now overlap. I was always just big in general and was told I carried my weight "well."

I used to wear a size 10 ring (even when I was 14 years old!) and never thought I'd get under a 9. I now wear a 7 although I still have a lot of weight to lose. My shoes size has gone down from a 10 to a 9. And I'm now wondering if I am medium-framed after all?

Last edited by Elladorine; 01-09-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

One factor that method doesn't take into effect is finger length! I'm fairly small-framed, but my finger and thumb just barely touch, because I have miniature hands.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayness View Post
One factor that method doesn't take into effect is finger length! I'm fairly small-framed, but my finger and thumb just barely touch, because I have miniature hands.
Good point!

Freelance
Blog: www.englishgrammargripe.com
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote