South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-09-2013, 12:51 AM   #1  

Default New to South Beach - 2 days now!

Is it possible to lose 10 pounds in two days???? I know this would be "water" weight, but in two days??

I actually found this site by accident when I was searching for my new blog, which happens to be called "Fat Chick on the Beach" because I am doing the South Beach (type) diet. I started two days ago. I will be 45 this year and weigh in at a whopping 345. I have lost and gained weight over my entire lifespan, but never really devoted myself to a diet before.

I found it ironic to be eating a whole box of butterfinger bites while reading the weightloss edition of People Magazine (January 2013) I thought to myself, "Why am I doing this to myself? Wishing I was skinny." Needless to say I have made my decision and started my "DIE-it" journey on Monday 1-7-2013. I even started my blog, and am logging my intake on myfitnesspal. I am still learning the ways of South Beach or Low Carb eating, and fitness pal gave me a calorie intake of 1900 for now. so basically I have been eating low carb up to 1900 calories or less. Right now I am not doing any fitness plan.

My first goal is 50 pounds.

If anyone had some suggestions regarding SB or Low Carb or if it sounds like I am doing something wrong, please let me know.... My ultimate goal is to get down to 190. I am 5"11 and large framed so I think I would be comfortable at that weight....I guess we will see when I get there.

Thanks for reading!

Dana
DAYNSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Dana!!

Congrats on making a first step, and now you've learned the exciting part that gives us inspiration on the first tough steps of south beach....the water woosh!! It makes it easier to deal with the headaches, tiredness, and crankiness of sugar withdrawals. It works SO WELL if you stick with it. Many of us on here feel that the biggest key to success is stopping by here daily, finding new recipes, and sharing experiences.

Don't forget - this is a good carb diet, not a low carb diet. We love beans and dairy!

Hope to see you here daily!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Dana! Congratulations for being 10 lbs down already, regardless whether it's water weight or not. You're 10 lbs lighter than you were before you started this, right?

It sounds like you're doing everything right so far, just be sure to eat until you're pleasantly full, getting in your 4 - 5 cups of vegetables and including beans and dairy in your daily menus to help keep you satisfied. And don't forget to drink plenty of water!

Good luck, and we hope to see you often.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #4  

S/C/G: maintaining

Nice to have you on the beach with us.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 307/294/160

You will love SB. You can beans, dairy, tomatoes and even fruit!!! Of course fruit comes in phase 2 along with good grains!!
paydaymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #6  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Dana!

What a positive start to your New Year! I look forward to getting to know you better. Twynn is right...if you stick with this you will lose the weight and will feel absolutely incredible even before you reach goal.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #7  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Sounds like you are doing it right. Have you read the book? It's really integral to do so. You learn why and how the body processes food etc.

Check out the FAQ on the board as well. It includes food lists and then of course, we have posted recipes too!

3FC also has a blogging portion to it and it's free
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #8  

Thanks everyone for the enouragement. I was a bit alarmed when I stepped on the scale. mostly because I was curious. Having bad day today, headache and upset tummy... Staying on track. I need to re-read the south beach book, as I have been avoiding beans because they are high carb, but I guess I need to really understand the difference between good and bad carbs... Look forward to visiting with you more....I can do this!!!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #9  

So, a silly question....I have read the FAQ and a few of the boards...but this still isn't clear. Am I limited to the amount of protein I should consume? Right now I am tracking my calories on myfitnesspal and they say for now I should be 1900 calories, often I go over my protein allotment. But I figure if I am eating better than I was....and I am staying at 1900 calories I should be okay....or should I ditch the myfitnesspal and keep a food journal. If I incorporate beans into my diet I am limited to 1/2 c per day? I have the SB Supercharged book and will re-read it...I hope to incorporate walking 2-3 times a week soon, seems right now I am sooo tired....Thanks so much for your thoughts!!!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:20 AM   #10  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Hi there - I am not sure of protein limits (I've never limited it) but yes, there is a limit on beans. Re-read the book, it will help!

You might also want to search the board for SBD Flu - sounds like the head and tummy aches you are experiencing - also are you taking a fiber supplement? Might help.

Good job hanging in there!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:52 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

The joy of SBD is that you don't have to count calories or figure out protein allotments. Now, some DO, because they've hit a plateau, or have a hard time limiting themselves (esp. in things like fats, etc) and consume way too many calories. I think it's great if you want to monitor your calories, but as long as you're doing SBD principles, you'll be okay, at least for a while. And yes, limit of 1/2 cup beans (um, I didn't limit, but it's not like someone can eat 4 cups of legumes a day anyways), with 1/2 c. veggies at breakfast, 2 c. at lunch, and 2 cups at supper. Basically, you're filling up on high nutrient dense, but low calorie foods.

And you'll start feeling better in week 2, and then most awesome like in week 1 of phase II. Really research here phase '1.5'. which is Sloooowwwly integrating grains and fruits so you don't start binging. These chicks are awesome!!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote