Old 01-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #1  

Default starting my 2nd week still always hungry

at 6 i eat my ceral, coffee break by coffee i'm starving thats at 9:00 i eat jellow to hold me over till my lunch at 11 where i eat my bar, 1:00 i'm hungry again., i don't eat dinner till 5 or 5:30, i eat my 2 cups of veggies at lunch with my salad, and veggies with dinner..

my job is physical i'm on my feet 7 out of 8 hours walking around and lifting heavy boxes. will this hunger go away soon, can somone help with with advice
marnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 219/141/130

Height: 5'1''

I was on IP for 5 months while working and going to grad school full time. I was burning a lot of calories with my schedule so I recall being extremely hungry most of the time as well. Talk to your coach about an extra packet? Also, I think it helps to eat hot foods, like soups for lunch with a big salad. It helps you feel more satiated. When hunger would hit me, I used to sip hot green tea. I carried it to class in a thermos and it helped keep the hunger pangs at bay.

I also would have my snack in the afternoon between lunch and dinner instead of after dinner. That might help you make it to dinner. Good luck!
WorldTraveleronIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #3  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

If you are very active on your feet, you probably want to try adding a fourth packet (just make it an unrestricted one). Also don't forget that you can have 2 egg whites per day as a "freebie", and lettuce is unlimited. I think I ate 2 bowls of lettuce only salad every day for my first few weeks! Also make sure you are drinking PLENTY of water. For one, hungry feelings are often your body telling you it is THIRSTY. For another, part of this program is teaching us to recognize TRUE hunger from MENTAL hunger. Try drinking water or a hot tea when you get hungry - if after 20 minutes or so you don't notice it, that wasn't true hunger.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #4  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Height: 5'4"

I never would have made it through phase 1 without shifting part of my protein to lunch - that's the only way I could get through that long stretch between lunch and dinner. Just be sure to reduce your portion at dinner.
Lizzy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #5  

i drink 600 ML of water on all my breaks. i'm getting plenty of water. my coach isn't much of a help i just don't want to go backwards if i'm eatting another IP pack a day.. i've asked if i can have real food in the morning and lunch she said no. so i'm very confused by all this. even if it was just an egg in the morning i'd proboly be ok..
Old 01-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #6  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by marnie View Post
i drink 600 ML of water on all my breaks. i'm getting plenty of water. my coach isn't much of a help i just don't want to go backwards if i'm eatting another IP pack a day.. i've asked if i can have real food in the morning and lunch she said no. so i'm very confused by all this. even if it was just an egg in the morning i'd proboly be ok..
You CAN have real food at other meals - what matters is that you get everything listed on your sheet in every day, the 3 meal breakdown is just a suggestion to make it easier on you. MANY people have found that adding 2 egg whites to breakfast, or splitting the 8oz protein between dinner and lunch, makes a HUGE difference in their success on the plan. Not all coaches are created equal, unfortunately - and not all of them actually take the time to understand the HOW and WHY IP works.

Try adding an egg in the morning, either at breakfast or as a morning snack. That may make all the difference for you.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #7  

how much is 2 egg whites?? we have them in the container and just pour.

so 2 egg whites and my IP pack and i should hopefully not be starving in 3 hours
Old 01-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #8  
Kara - Restart 8/23/2013

S/C/G: 277.4/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
my job is physical i'm on my feet 7 out of 8 hours walking around and lifting heavy boxes. will this hunger go away soon, can somone help with with advice
A guy I know on IP pours concret, his doctor upped his packets/had him eat more protein at different times during the day. He was getting light headed and she moved him to eating carbs once a week the day after weigh in. Totally helped.
Calisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #9  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
how much is 2 egg whites?? we have them in the container and just pour.

so 2 egg whites and my IP pack and i should hopefully not be starving in 3 hours
Check the side of the carton, but I am pretty sure that 3 Tbsp = one egg white.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:47 PM   #10  

If you are that active at work, a 4th packet won't hinder you, it will HELP you. We're not supposed to feel famished all the time.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 247/239/170

The days i am at work and being more active with my job my IP coach wanted me to have an extra pack the days i am busy to see what happens. It helped so much with my weight. It help me loose more weight. I would say to eat an extra pack and have an egg in the morning.
AmberMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #12  
Start: Dec. 18, 2017

S/C/G: 211/210/150

Height: 5'5"

Marnie, you didn't post your current weight, your height, I assume you are female, but for male it would be a bit different...all of these things help to see what might be happening. Also how much have you lost last week (or per week)?

As everyone said, when burning so much extra calories because having to be active physically and/or mentally, you really should have an extra packet at least, and maybe extra food too. (Also, people whose goal weight is over 240 lbs should have an extra packet regardless of activity level.)

Secondly, our bodies need 3-4 weeks to learn how to use ketones efficiently for powering up muscles, has something to with body learning to make the right enzymes...those first 3-4 weeks when you start IP it is especially recommended NOT to exercise. Your job doesn't seem to allow you to "not exercise" so perhaps you feel extra hungry because your body hasn't yet learned how to properly use up the food it's getting, but the idea is that in a couple of weeks it will know and you might stop feeling so hungry. You might consider taking that 4th pack or even a 5th pack per day for the first 3 or 4 weeks rather than the only first week which is usually suggested if people feel very hungry while switching to ketosis.

Thirdly, be careful not to eat too many carbs in one meal!! For example, the 4 cups of veggies should be eaten in 2 meals, 2 cups each; eating 3 or 4 cups in one meal could potentially become too much carbs and trigger insulin response which will consequently make you feel very hungry. Same goes for restricted food + veggies... or anything that might be too many carbs together or too close too each other. Need to allow at least 2 hours after a meal to know that you can have more carbs.

Fourth, and my last suggestion for now: is it at all possible for you to find another coach, in a different clinic perhaps? Someone who knows stuff and really focuses on their clients needs?

And fifth, but it's only a comment: being hungry after 3 hours is normal! We really should be eating about every 3 hours... And don't forget taking your oil in every day as well.
learning to fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #13  

i'm 5'2 started at 169, down 2.5 pounds in 1 week. i live in a small town there is no one else around who does this..

can somone recommend what i would do got hockey? i have a tournament coming up in 4 weeks i've got 3 games between 8am and 5pm.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #14  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
i'm 5'2 started at 169, down 2.5 pounds in 1 week. i live in a small town there is no one else around who does this..

can somone recommend what i would do got hockey? i have a tournament coming up in 4 weeks i've got 3 games between 8am and 5pm.
Ideal Protein is not really designed for people actively competing in sports. You are taking in less than 1000 calories per day and that is not enough to support a full day of hard sports like that. You could ask your coach about the Athlete's protocol for IP (it allows more food but still little to no carbs) but I'd be hesitant even on that protocol.