Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 172/see ticker/135

Height: 5ft 3.5

Default Not gaining back weight?

Ok, not that I am complaining, lol, but I have been eating horrible over the holidays, and have only gained 5lbs...but already down 3 lbs from that as of today. I started out at 172, and dropped to 145 over several months. I went up to 150, now I am back at 146.6. I stopped walking dec 18, just started that again a few days ago. I mean I have been eating out ALOT, enjoying sweets, mochas, hot chocolates, coffee with tons of sugar..etc.
My question is....I know it takes 3,500 calories to gain a pound of weight, and going up to 150 and coming back down to 146 in a few days mean water weight to me, why in the world didn't I gain weight? I thought it was so easy to gain weight back after losing? Honestly I wanted to enjoy the holidays and I love comfort foods and coffees during the winter. I mean I know I have ate at least 2,000-2,500 calories in one day, and this went on over december. My calorie intake on diet was 1,500.
Is it this easy to keep the weight off once I have hit my goal? Maybe I was eating the right amount of calories to maintain my weight?

Has anyone ever did this? Kinda went off their diet and ate bad, but really didn't gain but water weight?
OR if it took me several months to lose 25 pounds, would it take several months to put it back on?
Dumb questions...lol...I just thought gaining was faster than losing, and it shocked me that I only gained 5 lbs worth of water weight.
want2bskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Well, it could be that even though you have lost on 1500, your maintenance is more like 2200, so if you were eating around there, even if it was junk, your body was just maintaining, only slightly gaining.

I have PCOS, so I'm different. And sadly, any weight that I gain because of my IR, means it's mostly "real" weight. Sometimes its not immediate, sometimes it takes a week to show up!

(I try to stay on "plan" always and never go off on this one. I did go off during these past holidays and gained 5 pounds. All of which are NOT water weight... .)
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #3  
Empress/Queen

Yes, this has happened to me many times but eventually the extra calories inevitably catch up & I start gaining quickly even if I have been back on track.

Just the way my body works.

Last edited by Amarantha2; 01-08-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

Are you all saying that weight gain is not immediate. I can see weight gain two weeks later from a milk shake I drank on New Years? Even after going on plan on the first?
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 265/205/140

Height: 5'8"

This happens to me all the time, too. I gained less than 3 lbs after eating like crap and not working out for about 2 weeks. I think maybe because I had been working out and eating right, so maybe my metabolism was up? Who knows, but I'm not mad about it!
kurbain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #6  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

This is why I'm convinced that the scale is a giant magic 8 ball - completely irrelevant to what I'm doing. And for some reason, my clothes fit differently at a certain weight on the "way up" than they do "on the way down" at the same weight. IDK!?

However - I have noticed that since I have developed permanent habits that even when I go ridiculously off plan, it's not like it used to be. Back then eating pizza meant eating 5 or 6 slices of deep dish meat lover's pizza - now, it means 4 or 5 slices of the square cut thin crust chicken pizza. Or before if I had ice cream, I ate an entire Ben and Jerry's container in one sitting and now I go through the drive thru and have a cone with one scoop. My guess is that you weren't eating as badly as you thought - yes, it resulted in weight gain and you don't want to continue it, but it wasn't the crazy binge that you thought.
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #7  

I am not sure if it's ever happened to me as I never watched my weight loss as much as I am this time.

I'd say chalk it up to the lucky Santa Claus gods who watched over you at Christmas!

I'm afraid I'll be watching over my shoulder for the rest of my life for the pounds to not come back. I have heard of people gaining back 25lbs (or more) and they said they never saw it happen and it just appeared one day, I can't do that this time.

Get back on your plan, back to your exercise and wipe your brow, saying I got lucky that time!!

Last edited by elvislover324; 01-08-2013 at 10:55 AM.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 157/157/120

Height: 5'0"

This happens to me too and is the beginning of a downward spiral. I'll go off plan and eat crap for a couple weeks without much of a gain. Then I'll be so off track it continues and then the weight starts piling back on fast. It's pretty much how my life has been for the last 10 years and looking back I can see how I gained weight each time.
emurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 172/see ticker/135

Height: 5ft 3.5

Well glad I'm not the only one that it has happened too. I am gonna get a grip on what I am eating and start walking again. It's just weird to think, all the pizza, cheesecake, iced coffee, cakes, burgers, etc only lead to 5lb water weight gain. lol. Well I made a lovely cabbage soup that is pretty much all you can eat, very low in calories. It is soooo good!! Hubby said "make more!" lol. The holidays are over, so back to watching the calories. (hehe until valentine's day)

Last edited by want2bskine; 01-08-2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: opps
want2bskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 222/Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I was way off plan over the holidays too and I'm afraid to weigh myself right now, but I'm back on plan since New Years and I'll weigh myself again in a week or so.

However, I did have a similar experience to yours a few months ago. I went on a cruise for a week and ate pretty much whatever I wanted. A week after I got back home and back on plan, I was right back where I started before the cruise. My husband has had the same experience.

I've never read anything medical to substantiate this, but I'm thinking maybe, at least to a small extent, that if your body is used to having fewer calories and is suddenly presented with a big surplus for a short period of time, it doesn't absorb some of them - just passes them out. Just my theory, never read this anywhere.

That being said, I don't think this is a good thing to do - I lose much more consistently when I STAY ON PLAN.
annieway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #11  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i also had a "gain" over the holidays that just went away again right away...i weighed 181 on christmas morning, even AFTER several eating challenges ahead of christmastime...over that week my weight steadily went up and i peaked around 188 right before new years day...then TOM came, and i got back to a stricter eating plan, continued working out and now i'm back down to 181 where i was before...i think most/all of that was TOM and water weight and/or simply excess food in my system

i too am worried about waking up one day and "all of a sudden" having gained all the weight back....that's why when i slack off, i get really worried that i'm gaining weight even though i dont see it and dont feel it...that i'll think i'm still smaller until one morning i wake up and, poof, i'm 40 pounds heavier again
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #12  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

Maybe the working out you did before sped up your metabolism enough to burn those extra calories and it hadn't slowed down yet. I imagine after time it would eventually return to normal without the added help.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #13  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

Want2bskine can u pass along that cabbage recipe.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #14  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbiegurl View Post
Maybe the working out you did before sped up your metabolism enough to burn those extra calories and it hadn't slowed down yet. I imagine after time it would eventually return to normal without the added help.
Sadly working out doesn't affect your metabolism like this. You burn more calories while you're working out obviously but shortly after you're done your metabolism returns to baseline. How long your metabolism is elevated depends on the kind of workout and how intense it was. Even a long intense workout doesn't move the needle much, unfortunately.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #15  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Could be a lot of things but my guess would be that you were retaining water before the holidays and the scale wasn't accurately reflecting your weight.

Ultimately - the scale is a horrible way to measure progress short term. In fact - short term nothing is really good outside of a lab setting.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote