Old 01-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #1  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Question Scale Mind Games/Tricks- How do you overcome?

The scale plays mind games with me. On my current plan- I have to weigh in with a coach twice a week. I really prefer to only weigh-in once a week, since I don't know how much progress I can make in such a short period of time.

So today I weigh-in at lunch. This morning I think....

"Well...I could skip breakfast today and just have a big lunch after weigh-in."
"I could not drink my water until after weigh-in."
"A light dinner the night before weigh-in?"

My brain gets all crazy.

::sigh:: I don't want to have these thoughts. This isn't about just the scale- it's about wellness. It's not about playing tricks with the scale.

Has anyone else battled with these type of thoughts? I'm hoping that if I keep my eye on the true goal- these thoughts will gradually begin to slip away.

(Also- I have already had over 50 ounces to drink today and am eating breakfast in 10 minutes)

Last edited by lunarsongbird; 01-08-2013 at 11:25 AM.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #2  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Can you explain to the coach that twice a week isn't helpful for you and request that you do a once a week Wi instead? I'm assuming you are paying for this coaching, so it should be about what works for you!

Or if they insist, then close your eyes and don't look at your weight for one of the WIs. I know a lot of pg women who did this - they didn't want to get freaked out by the number on the scale, so they just didn't look at it, but they still weighed in so their doctor had the info they needed.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #3  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Ha! When I was pregnant, I weighed in backwards (not looking at the scale) and insisted they not tell me. The nurse was kinda jerky about it but I really didn't care.

Have you talked to your coach about the weigh-ins? I think they probably deal with this on a regular basis. Could you weigh-in at home on the day you're supposed to weigh-in AND weigh-in on their scale so that you can see the difference? I know that would help me be like, "Oh that's 3 pounds of water and lunch."
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I'd make one of the "mandatory" days my once a week weigh in day, weigh myself at home in the AM as usual and count that number as my real weight. Then anything different would be due to what I ate, etc. from the time I weighed in at home and when I weighed in with the coach. Don't let the stupid numbers screw with your head. I never count what I weigh at the doctor's office for just this reason.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #5  
Big-time loser

S/C/G: 306.6/247.2/156-164

Height: 5'8"

I have no idea. But I know how you feel. I weigh in on Mondays and Sundays are always light days for me for that exact reason - and Mondays are usually high days. You've got some good suggestions though!

And that 50 oz. before breakfast was me today too, must be dehydrated!
jenicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by linJber View Post
I'd make one of the "mandatory" days my once a week weigh in day, weigh myself at home in the AM as usual and count that number as my real weight. Then anything different would be due to what I ate, etc. from the time I weighed in at home and when I weighed in with the coach. Don't let the stupid numbers screw with your head. I never count what I weigh at the doctor's office for just this reason.

Lin
I agree.... this is what I do, too. It's just too easy to start playing 'food' games about it. I only count my morning number. Even at the doctor's office. Perhaps you could talk to your coach and ask if you can show her/him the morning number, too.

Remember that the number on the scale is just information. This number is influenced by so many things... water, hormones, 'poop' (sorry), building muscle, etc. Look at the number and use that info to help guide you... but DON'T let that number own your mind.

So many years weighing myself lead to disordered eating and actions before 'weighin day'. Not eating all day or taking off my underwear under my dress (really I did that a couple of times), starving myself the day before weigh in, not eating one bit of food until weigh in time, etc. Thankfully - I don't do that now.

Be as kind to yourself as you can.

Carry on!!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 01-09-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #7  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one struggling with the scale.

I did end up "gaining" 1.5 pounds, which literally could probably be the difference of my workout clothes versus work clothes. I'm still trying to figure out what is the most kind approach to my soul.

I think I might have to pop a battery back into my home scale so that I can do some morning weigh-ins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverlyjoy View Post
Remember that the number on the scale is just information. This number is influenced by so many things... water, hormones, 'poop' (sorry), building muscle, etc. Look at the number and use that info to help guide you... but DON'T let that number own your mind.
That is SUCH wonderful advice. Thank you so much for sharing.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote