Old 01-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #1  
Started IP 11/28/12

Default What to take when you're sick

I've unfortunately contracted this cold/flu that's going around and just feel awful. My nose is plugged, I have the chills, throat is sore. I don't even feel like eating.

I've tried taking 4 Vitamin C capsules for the last 3 days and drinking hot lemon water, but it's not working.

What have you all done during these times? What medicine can you take that won't sabotage the diet and what about eating?? I don't even feel like cooking. Could I just make one of the soups from Ideal protein and eat that even if I've already had 3 IP meals?
amberjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #2  
Kara - Restart 8/23/2013

S/C/G: 277.4/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

When I was sick I took my normal pills (Tylenol cold etc) and had chicken broth to eat as I couldn't stomach anything else the first day and a half.

I still lost weight that week and the next week so it must not have hurt. I just figured I needed to get better.
Calisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:10 PM   #3  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

I still took my regular Tylenol cold medication too and had lots of tea, water and soup with broth. I was struggling to get my food in too but it helped to puree veggies into the soup and for my dinner protein, I just substituted with 2 non-restricted packets on two of the days (1 was the jello). So 5 packets total, only 1 restricted still but no regular protein. I also ate smaller amounts every 2 hours instead of my normal every 4 hours.

Take baths if you need to get warmed up and otherwise don't push it too fast. You could take a number of days to get over it and if you try to do too much too fast, it will just come back again. This is day 9 for me and after a day at work, I was exhausted and dizzy a couple times at the office.
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #4  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Nyquil and Dayquil gel caps are safe, they do not contain sugar but still have the active ingredients in the liquid forms. If you ask the pharmacy about diabetic-safe medications they can probably point you to other sugar-free remedies. Halls has a sugar free cough drop. Lots of hot tea, broth, and rest
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:12 PM   #5  
60 great years young

S/C/G: 188/ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

I am fighting it too and taking sugar free lozenges and cough syrup. I don't know what is in tamiflu!
Shedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:22 PM   #6  
Started IP 11/28/12

Bless you all for coming to my rescue so quickly! I took some Alka Seltzer Cough and Cold effervescent tablets. It does have aspartame in it, but I couldn't take it anymore.

Thank you for all the ideas and I'm sorry you all are going through this crud too. Yuck!

The chicken broth idea sounds great too. I do have the IP Chicken Noodle Soup, so I could probably just have that instead of cooking if I just can't cook.

It really sucks too because I have a new employee that just started today that I've been training. Just zaps my energy.

Hope everyone feels better soon too.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #7  
Started IP 11/28/12

Kitkat....can I just tell you how fabulous your before and after pictures look! You look so happy too - just glowing!